Ed Kennell

It followed me home

Ed Kennell

My wife's mother stopped in to visit with the patient yesterday. So I took advantage of the relief nurse and went on a bread and milk run. 

This followed me home.    Now, what do I do with it .... Full restore, redo , keep original rust and unique throttle lock ??   It runs and sounds good, but needs some attention. 

What  Ya think ?

post-7208-0-02508700-1407856797_thumb.jppost-7208-0-95282600-1407856833_thumb.jppost-7208-0-72666600-1407856865_thumb.jppost-7208-0-97380500-1407856900_thumb.jp

• Like 5

AMC RULES

Oil bath, and work it as is.  :twocents-twocents: 

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Great find and I love the throttle lock, one of a kind!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Ed, that one looks pretty nice.  A couple of threads lately show that there is a lot of paint under the grime.  I would try cleaning a few parts with their methods and see how it looks.  Nice find.  A little electrolysis on that throttle stop, and that will look like brand new.  :)

• Like 1

Desko

See how she turns out with the oil clean and if it doesn't come to nicely go for a restoration there always interesting.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Hmm, Looks unanimous ... a good scrubbing and apply the body lotion may be the way to go.

• Like 1

Geno

Nice find, and extra tools!   At least it followed you instead of me!   :laughing-rolling:  

I think it should get a good pressure wash and some paint.  Painting the wheels alone makes a huge difference.   :)

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Great find and I love the throttle lock, one of a kind!

Ah, you are wrong, I use a vise grip on my 875 to keep the throttle open!

Red-neck at it's best,  but it works!

Nice find, but how do you find something like this on a "milk & bread" run?

Let me know your secret

• Like 2

speedyleedy

Nice commando 8 i think you should buff it off oil it up ! :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Geno

KC9KAS said - Nice find, but how do you find something like this on a "milk & bread" run?

Let me know your secret

Yeah, Inquiring minds want to know.   :icecream:

Edited by Geno
  • Like 1

Tankman

The poor old ('68 ?) Horse just followed you home? Likely story.

I'm sure the Stallion'll be fine with a wash 'n oil. Just don't lose the throttle lock!   :angry-nono:  

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

Actually It was listed in the RS classified by the owners Son ,RS member aclark.   His Dad was only 4 mile from me and we made a deal by phone.

The bread and milk run was just an excuse to get a relief nurse for my wife so I could sneak away to pick  up the WH.

On the clean up, has anyone ever used a LOOFAH  to  scrub it and then rub on a generous layer of OIL of OLEY ?

Mrs. K swears this stuff will remove  wrinkles and bring out a nice glow on the body.  It's pretty pricey, but I could probably take a gallon of it from Her closet without it being missed.

• Like 1

Geno

The bread and milk run was just an excuse to get a relief nurse for my wife so I could sneak away to pick  up the WH.

Sneaky, sneaky.  :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1

Racinbob

Sooooooooo.................you pulled out of the house in a pickup WITH a trailer attached on just a milk and bread run???? That's a lot of milk and bread. You are a sneaky devil :)

• Like 2

Zeek

Good you jumped on that, it looked like a nice tractor for the price and I was planning on making room for that.  You have some nice straight sheet metal there.  I agree with the others, that would make a good "natural refurbish" I call it. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Good you jumped on that, it looked like a nice tractor for the price and I was planning on making room for that.  You have some nice straight sheet metal there.  I agree with the others, that would make a good "natural refurbish" I call it. 

Yeah Zeek, the hood is almost perfect. I think I can even save the decals.  The fender pan needs some work across the back. Not sure I can get that straight w/o losing the patina.  I know I have seen a thread on here on recreating the old look.  I'll have to search for that when the time comes. The seat  will take a bit of work, but I need a winter project.

cruisnblue48

Ed, if you ever have to come up to the north side of York for a bread and milk run, you won't have to worry about any of my horses following you home. I keep them locked in my shed so they don't get out and run away. Nice find you got there.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Thanks Dave, That's a real impressive list of horses you have. and I'm guessing they are pretty happy where they are.  Not much chance they would try to get out and follow me home if I cruise by with a horse trailer full of oats.