99-LS1-SS

I got it running!

99-LS1-SS

I posted last weekend, when I inherited a 1967 Wheel Horse 1067 Garden Tractor.  Thanks to all that helped me identify what I had.  I have never owned a wheel horse before now and my knowledge of them is limited.  

There is a lot of sentimental value in this tractor so I really wanted to get it running and start fixing it up.  My father married my stepmother 40 years ago and as a wedding present my stepmother's dad gave them this Wheel Horse.  From what I understand, my stepmother's grandfather used to sell Wheel Horse tractors.  My stepmother grew up mowing their yard with this thing.  I've heard all kinds of stories from my stepmother, her sister and her mother regarding mowing with this tractor.  My father used this tractor up until about 4 or 5 years ago.  It started running rough and he got tired of repairing it so he parked it and got a new riding mower.  It has sat in a garage since.  My father got diagnosed with cancer in April of this year and had passed away by June.  We had talked about me getting and fixing up this tractor a few times over the past few years.  So, I guess in a way, this tractor is my tribute to him.

Now that the sappy stuff is out of the way, let's move on to the fun and exciting stuff.  I got it running!  

Here's what I did tonight:

Changed the plug

Put a new fuel line on it with a inline filter

Sprayed carb cleaner in the carb

Put a new air filter on it

Changed the oil

Put a new battery in it.

It starts and runs and it moves under its own power now.  it smokes some.  I can't tell what color the smoke is because it was getting dark.  I'll check that tomorrow.  My main concern now is that it has a slight backfire sometimes.  The muffler is completely blown out so it's is basically a straight pipe so I could see the small flame shooting out every time it backfired.  I found that if I pull the choke knob out just a little, it backfires less which leads me to believe that it might be running too lean when the choke is off.  I'm sure if it is too lean, it's because of some buildup or trash in the carb.  I guess I'll take the carb off and check it out and see if I can address it.  I'm just happy that it runs.  

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions before I tackle the carb?  

My list of things left to do....so far are:

Change the gear oil - I plan on doing that tomorrow

Get it running better

Clean it up more

Get new belts all around - I am going to need help finding the right belts

Start finding a few of the missing or broken parts. - I need a headlight and a mowing deck at a minimum 

I'm sure this list will continue to grow but, that's what I have so far. 

Here's the video of it running.  At around 35 seconds you can see small flames shooting out of the exhaust pipe.  

Edited by 99-LS1-SS
  • Like 4

AMC RULES

Yep, that's all it takes.    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

It's plain enough to see...that you, my man...

are already addicted to that   :wh: .     :) 

• Like 1

Tankman

Early WHA (Wheel Horse Addiction) fo' sure!   :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

man o man,,,thats great.   A maybe item, tranny fluid, trust me, you will notice the change.

great job,,,,,,,dont forget some daylight pictures. 

For a second there I thought you put a tshirt and shorts on the tractor,,,,,,, :ychain:                                          

Glenn

GREAT FEELING ISNT IT?

SousaKerry

Looking good.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

I would try adjusting your jets first.  But actually it sounds pretty good from here.  They will breathe a little fire at night and that is totally normal especially with an open pipe.  Just the nature of the engines being no where as efficient as their modern counterparts.

• Like 1

99-LS1-SS

I'm actually looking forward to putting this thing through its paces.  I am probably going to take the mowing deck off for now and use it like a small tractor.  My wife and I purchased some land about a year ago and I could use this thing to pull felled trees out of the woods.  I probably need some ag tires though.  

99-LS1-SS

man o man,,,thats great.   A maybe item, tranny fluid, trust me, you will notice the change.

great job,,,,,,,dont forget some daylight pictures. 

For a second there I thought you put a tshirt and shorts on the tractor,,,,,,, :ychain:                                          

Glenn

GREAT FEELING ISNT IT?

Can you elaborate on the transmission fluid? 

...and yes, it does feel great.

Edited by 99-LS1-SS

specialwheelhorse

Hook line and sinker. Yep your a goner already !!!

Edited by specialwheelhorse

jackhammer

Very nice inheritance ,,, good luck with it

Jrblanke

Brandon,

Great looking tractor! Lots of character in that original paint! I'm up the road from you in Raleigh but my wife is from the Summerfield area so I am in your area every now and then.

As far as the transmission fluid goes, you should be able to tell if it has water in trans by checking the dip stick after driving it around for a few minutes. It will be milky in appearance. If it has water in it you will need to flush it. You can do that by:

1. Draining the trans (jack the front of the tractor up with a floor jack as far as you can to help remove all the fluid). 

2. Refill with diesel or kerosene and jack the back of the tractor off the ground. Run the tractor with the diesel or kerosene in the transmission for 20 to 30 minutes. Once you have finished running it, drain the diesel immediately. 

3. At this point, you can either fill with engine oil and repeat the running on jack stand process, or just go straight to the gear oil that you are going to run. You will know if you didn't drain all the diesel out because your gear oil will be brown and discolored after some use.

The carb is pretty simple. I would remove the carb, carefully take off the bowl, and remove the needle and float. Scrub the float with scotch brite or steel wool until it is clean. Scrub the bowl until it is clean and make sure there is no residual crud in there that could stop up your passages. Remove the needles and clean them with carb cleaner. You can also use a staple or small wire to clean the inside of the needles. When you reassemble you can put the needles back in until they are seated, then back them out the recommended amount of turns per the manual.

99-LS1-SS

I have some land right at the Oak Ridge and Stokesdale line, on Haw River road.

Fun Engineer

Great family history with that tractor.

Wheel-N-It

Congragulations on getting it running and moving under its own power. Welcome to the forum. Its good to have another NC Wheel Horse person here.