petreecr

1974 B-80 "Restore"

petreecr

This was my father's 1974 B-80.  He passed away when I was 6 and my mother remarried.  My stepdad assumed ownership of the tractor and I've since grown up and moved out to start a family of my own.  He called me a few weeks ago to tell me the engine was burning oil and he was going to give tractor away and replace it with something new.  He was nice enough to admit it was, indeed, my tractor so I had first dibs, if I wanted it...  I jumped at the chance to get it back - it was back in my possession that weekend.   It was in good shape, but needed a little TLC.  

No major problems - had to replace the deck wheels and the drive belt idler/tension/clutch pulley because the bearing had failed long ago.

Everything else was just rust removal, sanding, painting and decals. I'm almost done - just need to get the engine figured out...

Here are the pics:

post-13438-0-48197300-1407521048_thumb.j

post-13438-0-90071000-1407521048_thumb.j

post-13438-0-18039000-1407521049_thumb.j

post-13438-0-44137300-1407521049_thumb.j

post-13438-0-49805300-1407521154_thumb.j

post-13438-0-98218200-1407521154_thumb.j

post-13438-0-53025700-1407521155_thumb.j

post-13438-0-75053800-1407521155_thumb.j

post-13438-0-05218000-1407521156_thumb.j

Edited by petreecr
  • Like 1

petreecr

Caked-on oil... 

post-13438-0-94861500-1407521548_thumb.j

Edited by petreecr

kudzu3

Very nice :) How long did your resto take? I'm just finishing up my '74 B 80 that's taken about a year. Nice story, nice tractor, thanks for sharing.

AMC RULES

You've done both of your fathers proud:handgestures-thumbsup:

Gorgeous :wh: resto.    :WRS:

petreecr

Thanks, gents. 

And thanks to everyone on this site who take the time to share!  RedSquare has been a great resource for me during this process

I think Wheel Horse's are easily the best looking of the "older" tractor makes, especially the ABCD series.  I'm super proud to have mine back!  I have little doubt that I will be able to pass it down to my son some day (he is 3 now).  

I will post more pictures once I'm done with the engine and she's all back together! 

• Like 2

slammer302

Looks great the motor should be simple to get done im in the process of doing one right now if your lucky it will just need a rod and piston and rings only way to know is get a bore gage and measure it

Molon_Labe

Great Horse with a lot of history. You'll have it up and running in no time. :thumbs:

KC9KAS

1st of all, :WRS:

You have a very nice looking B-80. I am sure you will get the engine rebuilt and it will operate like it did 40 years ago!