Racinbob

Beloved tractor reunion.

Racinbob

What are the odds. In February of 1978, when my daughter we’re visiting here in Indiana now was one month old, I bought a new 1976 B-80 from Chandler’s Wheel Horse. As most of you know that year, as well as 77 and maybe other years, was identical to the C series except for rear tire size, steering wheel diameter, the seat back, motor size and a few other minor items. The key components like the frame and transmission were identical. I proceeded to ‘convert’ it to a C-160. The Commando 800 I restored for my grandson inherited the 22.750 rear tires and the low back seat.

Shortly before coming up here my daughter called and asked if I’d mind helping their neighbor out with his old Wheel Horse. He saw the Commando and would have liked his restored the same way. He needed a few parts and didn’t know where to get them. Talk to a guy about Wheel Horses?! Of course(pun intended) I would love to. I had only seen it from about 200 yards away and only knew it was a mid 70’s so I asked her to get the model # on it. She called back with the number and he had told her it was an 8k802. I said perfect, a 1976 B-80 just like the one I had and sold in the auction when we moved to Florida. Then I got to thinking about it. 9 out of 10 people who didn’t have the addiction like we all do here would have said the model number off the decal on the hood stand. Interesting I’m thinking to myself. I took those decals off when I ‘converted’ mine so he had to find a number elsewhere. They live about 5 miles from our old place up here and the site of the auction. Nah……can’t happen. I drove the Commando to his place this morning. I just about had a heart attack. IT WAS MY OLD TRACTOR! We talked for over 3 hours. What great folks they are. He didn’t buy it at the auction but saw it for sale quite a few years ago on the side of the road. All he does with it is mow his large yard. It still has the 48†deck that I put on it and it’s in great shape aide from some minor surface rust in a couple places. My daughter said he was very finicky and it showed. He always scraped the built up grass off of the underside. Come to find out he was getting a zero turn and wanted it restored to sell it. He was wondering what it would cost to hire someone to do it because he really didn’t have the skills. He did repaint it and it’s a fair job but definitely could have been much better. After finding out that he just wanted it restored to sell I told him he shouldn’t put any money in it. I told him I’d do it only for the actual cost if he was going to keep it but that’s not feasible with me living in Florida. I had no clue if he could find somebody nearby and what it would cost.

Now, you all may think I should buy it back but it really doesn’t make sense. As much as I’d love to have it back I’m trying to show restraint. So, I’m going to post it in the classified here for him. I only hope it goes to a good home and the best chance is if somebody here gets it.

post-8408-0-07025500-1407090782_thumb.jp

post-8408-0-43706800-1407090863_thumb.jp

post-8408-0-29896300-1407090952_thumb.jp

post-8408-0-56725900-1407091048_thumb.jp

post-8408-0-84450700-1407091141_thumb.jp

• Like 3

stevasaurus

The "restraint" you have Bob is incredible.  That is an excellent looking horse...and the story behind it...it would look great in Florida.  Better yet...when are you moving back up here??  :ychain:   Think about it...Florida will be under water in 10 years....why go back??  :eusa-think::)

• Like 3

19richie66

Bring it home Bob...........Bring it home........

• Like 3

Racinbob

The restraint was entirely 'fear of wife' induced. She left with the boys shortly after I went over there. After the long conversation I was back here typing the post. I told her about it, showed her the pictures and she said I should buy it. I'll never get women figured out. I posted it for the neighbor at $800. I won't pay that for it due to the current condition. I'm thinking maybe $400 and some of that is due to sentimental value. It will fit in the bed of my Ranger with the deck standing up next to it. The guy and his wife are really nice and have done a lot for the kids here since I'm not around. In fairness to them I want to see what happens with the ad and later this week, if there's no activity, I may discuss it with him.

Oh yea, about 5 miles from here as we were arriving yesterday my wife spotted a house with 10 acres for sale. Just maybe............................... :)

• Like 5

km3h

What a great story. That would never sell for $800.00 around here. At least I don't think it would. Hope you get a chance to buy it back.

Racinbob

You're probably right. Now that I've thought about it more I'm thinking that maybe the $400 is too much as well. In fairness to the man I told him to try the $800. I did say it was high but we agreed that he could always come down. 

can whlvr

I would think with a good 48 mower shes worth 400-500,where I live it would sell for 700-800

Racinbob

I would think with a good 48 mower shes worth 400-500,where I live it would sell for 700-800

That's the biggest reason I told him to go for the $800. The deck is still much better than good. Due to the undisputable identifying mark on it I know it's the same deck I used on several acres of mowing for a couple of decades. Proof positive that proper maintenance does the trick. The current owner has taken care of it as well but the age has taken some toll on the tractor  :sad:.

Edited by Racinbob

stevasaurus

Sounds like you are having the vacation of your life Bob. :ychain:   Coming back to Indiana, seeing the kids, shuffling the wife off to the mall, checking out horses, seeing if there is room in the truck, checking out Real Estate...OMG    Why go to Disneyland if you can do all this???  What a great VACATION.  :)  Need any help??  :eusa-think:

• Like 2

Racinbob

All I can say about Disney is that if I'm forced to go there again I'm taking some d-con with me. Now the Men in Black attraction at Universal is another story. :handgestures-thumbupright:

'VACATION' is right.  :ranting: My daughter always has a list of stuff she wants me to do. Kinda like a wife. Today I'm getting the wiring nightmare in their basement bathroom straightened out.

• Like 1

cruisnblue48

This is a great story, Bob. It must have been a feel good moment to see your old tractor again. Kinda like my dad's '62 that he bought new when I was just 6 years old. Dad sold it to a neighbor sometime in the '70s. So, after not seeing my dad's tractor for some 30-40 years, what are the odds that I would ever in my lifetime see my dad's Wheel Horse again? My uncle called me about three years ago (July 2011) and tells me he found a little something I might be interested in. Long story short, I reaquired it for free from the son of the gentleman who bought it from my dad. It was pretty well worn out but after three three years of completely restoring my dad's '62 (ref avatar pic), there is no insane amount of money than can ever take it away from me. To some, sentimental value does carry a very high price tag.

Edited by cruisnblue48
  • Like 1

Racinbob

I agree 100% about the sentimental value Dave. I really wanted it back but, as I mentioned, it just didn't make sense. As it turned out my truck was packed to the gills for the trip home so even if I had decided to buy it back I wouldn't have had room. Your restoration looks great. I checked out your gallery and saw the before picture. You should post some after pictures. :)

AJ_Thanatos

Hell I would buy it for $400.00!! 

It looks really nice.. 

What a small world we live in, that is an awesome story! If he ever wants to get rid of it Bob and its just not possible for you to have it. Keep my name in the mix. I will have Craig come reorganize my garage and I will find room for it! 

Go Irish!!!

Racinbob

He may still have it and I'm thinking he'd sell it for that. It's rougher than the pictures show but I think well worth that price with a nice 48" deck. I'll have to do a little digging but I'll see if I can still find his phone number tomorrow. I'd love to see a member here adopt my baby.

Racinbob

Found the info AJ. PM sent. It would really be cool if you or another member latched on to it. You can beat Geno. He's close to 6 hours away :teasing-neener:

• Like 1

Geno

Way too expensive for me.  :teasing-poke:

AJ_Thanatos

Geno, of all people you should know, just because Bob put a sentimental price tag (no offense Bob, I know the feeling, I don't think money could buy my 68 Lawn Ranger) on it doesn't mean you have to pay the sentimental price!

:teasing-poke:  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Racinbob

Be easy on Geno AJ. After all, he's only been into :wh:  for 4 1/2 months so he doesn't have any sentimental attachments to them. :teasing-whipblue::violence-blades::violence-fencing::ychain: You're right though. A classic example is the proxy bid I placed on Ebay when I got the Suburban 400. It was way more than I should have paid but I just flat out wanted it bad since it was the same model my Dad bought. Fortunately I got it for way less than than my maximum bid. Also, a lot has to do with location. Would I have paid $800 to get my baby back? Probably not. But I'm sure the guy, under the circumstances, would have sold it to me for a lot less. Now $400? Definitely. Just ask anybody what it costs for an excellent 48" deck. Just ignore those who say they just bought a 520 in mint condition with a 60" deck and two stage blower for $200. :teasing-tease:

• Like 2

Geno

Not to reference Bob here, but this sentimental value thing isn't always the case with some.  Some people use it as an excuse to get more for it, or play on our emotions to feel sorry for them, not all but more than I would have thought in the beginning.  :eusa-doh:   My dads 414 has sentimental value in this way, it is not for sale at any price period.  :)  If I did sell something of his and he passed and I wanted it back, no price would be too high either so I see both sides.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

Edited by Geno
  • Like 2

Racinbob

Cool Geno. I didn't know about your Dad's 414. Hope you know I was just funnin ya. :handgestures-thumbsup: If I still had the room to do like you're doing you can bet I would be.

• Like 1

Geno

Time to make room Bob!  :laughing-rolling:

Racinbob

I thought I'd bring this old thread back up to add this. After a wonderful time at the show we went to Indiana to see the kids up there. Shortly after our visit in 2014 when I was reunited with this tractor Larry, the owner and neighbor, was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. Sadly, he passed this past February. The first evening we were there his wife, Lou Ann, came to the door with a crock pot of bbq cocktail wienies. It wasn't long in our conversation when she asked me if I could get this tractor running. Absolutely! It had a battery problem but she didn't think anything else. The first thing I did was check the voltage. It was .03 volts. Her son had worked on it without success and left the key in the run position for who knows how long which would explain the voltage. The terminals were corroded and the battery was toast. I installed a new one and cleaned the connections. I don't thing Lou Ann was confident it would start but with very little cranking she was purring like a kitten. I told her that my baby would never let her down :) We talked a while and she told me that when Larry found out about his illness he decided to sell his Power King and just keep this Wheel Horse because he understood it the best and loved it. Their place is always kept in tip-top shape but he worked hard to make things perfect while he still had the strength to work. The tractor looks much the same but does sport a new seat and a plate over the headlights. Lou Ann understands that, at her age, she won't be able to keep the place up to Larry's standards but she wants to stay there for now. I assured her that, while difficult from 1000 miles away, i would do all i could to help. She's a strong lady and I'm betting she will do better than she expects. She obviously misses Larry a lot but manages to talk about him with ease. At one point she even joked that she figured he decided to pass when he did is because he didn't want to vote this fall with the choices we have. I have deep regrets that I didn't have a chance to get to know him better. I spotted some ammunition in the garage and asked if he was a shooter. Yes sir, he was an avid shooter and also, sharing with me, a NRA Certified Instructor. I have no doubt that Larry and I would have gotten along great.

Rest in Peace Larry. You are deeply missed.

• Like 9

stevasaurus

Pretty nice Bob.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

TDF5G

Great story.  Thanks for sharing.