dcrage

Explain this set up -- 312-A

elliot ness

Excellent Set Up! I agree, the 18 Auto has 3/4 spindles which I will upgrade the axle & spindle and mount 1" trailor hubs coupled with 18 x 8.50 - 8, 4 lug wheels.

Thanks, I built one years ago and put a swept forward axle from a 520 and it had 1 in. spindles and worked out good, and for some reason [that I can't figure out] this 312A has 6 in. front wheels and it steers easy, even with a load, and not just because the uprights are way back , because I always mount then as far back as I can. Could it be the 6 in. wheels?

jackhammer

Welcome here to RedSquare

duke

Thanks, I built one years ago and put a swept forward axle from a 520 and it had 1 in. spindles and worked out good, and for some reason [that I can't figure out] this 312A has 6 in. front wheels and it steers easy, even with a load, and not just because the uprights are way back , because I always mount then as far back as I can. Could it be the 6 in. wheels?

Perhaps a smaller pivot, hence the 6'? Good thing though!

brandonozz

Elliot, Welcome to RedSquare and nice job of adding the pulley.  Good fab skills/idea sharing are always welcome around here. 

I can see that being very nice for powering a 3pt for the rear and still maintaining the functionality of the mower/blower/whatever.  Doubt I would ever want to mow with the loader on though... receipe for disaster in my yard.  Way too many things to run into!

I have seen one horse that was running a pump on the flywheel side being used to power a 3pt lift for the rear.  If I remember correctly, it didn't even use a belt but was mounted with a coupling directly to the engine's shaft.

I do have one question, would mounting a belt/pump on the flywheel side cause any premature bearing wear issues?  I know the PTO side is designed for side stress on the bearings but is the flywheel side?

elliot ness

Elliot, Welcome to RedSquare and nice job of adding the pulley.  Good fab skills/idea sharing are always welcome around here. 

I can see that being very nice for powering a 3pt for the rear and still maintaining the functionality of the mower/blower/whatever.  Doubt I would ever want to mow with the loader on though... receipe for disaster in my yard.  Way too many things to run into!

I have seen one horse that was running a pump on the flywheel side being used to power a 3pt lift for the rear.  If I remember correctly, it didn't even use a belt but was mounted with a coupling directly to the engine's shaft.

I do have one question, would mounting a belt/pump on the flywheel side cause any premature bearing wear issues?  I know the PTO side is designed for side stress on the bearings but is the flywheel side?

I mounted a pump on a sears [18hp onan] on the left side for a gentleman, and that was 8 or 9 yrs ago and it is still running, he did use it for a 3-point on the tractor, and I used a belt drive, the belt would take up lots of the vibs, and shock!

duke

I know on the 18 Auto and the D's the engine has a load on both sides, right?

elliot ness

I know on the 18 Auto and the D's the engine has a load on both sides, right?

Yes and all Case Ingersoll's have a load on both ends of the motor. The old john deere 120's and 140's  used both ends on a single cylinder Kohlers. So hopefully it's ok

brandonozz

Yes and all Case Ingersoll's have a load on both ends of the motor. The old john deere 120's and 140's  used both ends on a single cylinder Kohlers. So hopefully it's ok

I'm in agreement about using power at both ends of the crank shouldn't be a problem but the D's don't have side load on the hydraulic pump connection.  I'm not too savy with small engine designs but have read that some engines are not designed for side loads.  That's why I asked about side loads on the flywheel side on our Kohlers.

Thanks for the information.  That might be the most user friendly way to power a pump.