Theroundhousernr

Project 518H

km3h

I'd look for another machine shop. I think that is a pretty high cost for that job. My shop did the same work on a single cylinder Kohler 16 HP for $100.00.

Desko

I'd say look for a cheaper machine shop if not and you don't want to throw it out I'll take it off you hands in into rebuilding motors.

Edited by Desko

Theroundhousernr

Well called around today. Found a local guy that has a machine shop out of his pole building at home. I forgot all about him. He did a valve job on my Farmall C head years ago for me . He said 60 bucks for boring and honing and 24 to 28 dollars for valve grinding. I said 60 each cylinder and he said no, that's for both :bow-blue: .

I have to imagine he is good at what he does. He has been in business for 30 some odd years. He said he also has worked piled up. Said it would take about 2 weeks but I am in no rush.

So now , what do you guys have to say about the aftermarket parts Gary's Place carries??

km3h

I say do what makes you feel comfortable. Probably all made in china anyway by the same manufacturer. I have rebuilt two Kohler engines with after market parts and I am completely satisfied with the results. The new rods for that engine will not be the same as the ones you have now anyway. They are a different shape. This would lead me to believe that Cummings does not make them but farms out the job to some other company. 

Theroundhousernr

Does Boomer sell new parts?

km3h

He does. I will send you his information by private message. He is the Onan expert and can give you excellent advice. All you have to do is ask.

Desko

I believe that he is the owner of onanparts.com and yes outstanding parts.

km3h

He may be, I don't know. I have always dealt with him personally.

Desko

I can't seem to find him there's a boomer I found but say hasn't been active in a few years with 0 posts.

km3h

I talked to him a little bit ago and he told me it was OK to post his telephone number, so here it is.

651-437-2826  

His name is Robert Kummer.

Theroundhousernr

Just got off the phone with him. Great experience.

km3h

Yes, he is a great guy. Very helpful, with a lot of knowledge.

Theroundhousernr

When I spoke to boomer early today , I was at work... I called him when I got home. We exchanged part numbers and after a little over an hour later we came up with the parts that I need to get her going. He went over lots of little things people miss when rebuilding these which was great. Due to my compulsive behavior and research for the past few weeks.... I came up with most of the information that he told me. It was still good to be reminded and reasured.  Goes to show how valuable the interent can be. You can get answers for almost anything you want to take on , if you know how to filter through the B.S. You cant however research experience. :handgestures-thumbupright:

So I am now at a price of around $500 for parts and $100 for machine shop work. The build is back on :greetings-clappingyellow: .

km3h

Boomer asked me to forward his email address to you so here it is. Once you get your parts, he will be there to talk you through any problems you might have, which is also a plus. Get stuck in the middle of installing something just call him and he will guide you through it. 

I use the interned all the time to research things. There is a series of videos up there on rebuilding this motor. About 7 or 8 different ones from the same guy. Do a Google search and I am sure you will find it.

boomers_influence@yahoo.com

Nick

Edited by km3h
  • Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Thanks alot

km3h

Hey don't forget to take lots of photos and keep us posted on the progress. I always take photos when I take something apart. It makes it a lot easier when you have a part in your hand and can't figure where it goes. This is especially important when doing carburetor linkages. I find that my cell phone is perfect for that.

km3h

I believe that he is the owner of onanparts.com and yes outstanding parts.

Boomer does not own this business.

Desko

Alright because that's where I get my parts from.

userj8670

I have always gone oem with stuff even though it usually is more money- but I take comfort knowing that it's gonna last.  I know there are some mixed feelings on Onan motors so I prolly would do oem...If I could swing it.

km3h

I have always gone oem with stuff even though it usually is more money- but I take comfort knowing that it's gonna last.  I know there are some mixed feelings on Onan motors so I prolly would do oem...If I could swing it.

In most cases OEM is the right way to go, especially if you are going to keep something for a long time. On the other hand if you are on a tight budget or in some case are working on something that is discontinued you don't have much choice.

I would bet that Cummings/Onan decided that the cost of continuing to build their engines to the high standards they wanted was too costly and rather than cut corners just closed down their operation. I can tell you right now that the newer Kohler and Briggs engines are not much more than junk and if you have to replace parts, it won't matter much which part you use. 

I rebuilt a 14 and a 10 HP engine a few years ago and discovered that Kohler no longer made parts for them but farmed them out. The parts sold as Kohler were marked something like manufactured to Kohler specifications but they came in Kohler Packaging. Took them back and order Stens parts and saved almost half the costs. Engines seem not to know the difference and run great.

As for the Onan engines I have I will use OEM because I really intend to keep them and pass them down to my kids. Besides I really like the guy I buy parts from. He is always there if I have  a problem.  

Theroundhousernr

Yes , I plan to use oem now also. Boomer is going to hook me up with an orginial used window rod. So now I dont have to buy two brand new rods, just one to match the one I already have. So that saved alot of money for me in my parts shopping. I will be buying new cummins pistons and bearings however. There will be a little break in progress due to the fact , I have alot of project tractors to get done and sold. Also some odds and ends around the house to complete. But during that time , I will be ordering parts and the block will be at the machine shop. So next time I post, It will be about assembling my new motor!!!! 

boomers_influence

club

i did join the site today.

thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy )

Desko

The suspence is killing me I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Theroundhousernr

Progress is coming soon! I am going to the new machine shop tomorrow that does not want to retire on my rebuild, along with an onan from a 316 JD that I am doing for a friend. Then parts will be ordered. Should not be long. I cant wait to break in that new motor.....

km3h

Now the fun begins. There is nothing like the anticipation while turning the key on a new rebuild and hearing it start for the first time.