Tim Bergfeld

520 h

Tim Bergfeld

I am new to wheel horse. And have been looking for a 520 h with a 60 inch mower. I was told to stay away from rear discharge decks and I want to get a tiller and in the future a plow a grader blade and a blower I plan on using this tractor a lot. I went to several places in Cincinnati to check for service and parts they all said the same thing killer tractor engine is strong but no one will work on it because it is an Onan. What are your guys thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leeave96

Welcome to RS!!!!!

The Onan's can be trouble, but my experience with them is they either run or they don't. Knock on wood, my 1992 year 520H has been going strong for a long time. The Onan in it is a great engine and when it let's go, I will repower.

Rear discharge decks are great!!!!

IMHO, the best parts are online and/or from our vendors here - for service, this forum is the best place to bring your tractor for troubleshooting and repair advice. Can't speak to others, but in my neck of the woods, most dealers don't know their elbow from their left most toe.

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

MalMac

There are a lot of Wheel Horse's out there with Kohler's on them that will do everything you want and more. Look for a C' series, 300 or 400 series tractor. The later 400's had Onan's in them. But if you don't want the headache the Onan can sometimes bring go for a Wheel Horse with the K series or Magnum cast iron Kohler in it. You can't go wrong there.

• Like 2

papaglide

Off topic..but...LOVE THAT CORSAIR!!

• Like 1

Tankman

My '90 520-8 Onan powered runs great. I would say PM, preventative maintenance. Oil changes, filters, clean fuel, vac the flywheel screen and keep the air flowin' at all times.

On the other side of the coin, my '85 416-8, an older horse, runs great. Almost like new.

Same deal, PM! Preventative maintenance, oil, fuel, vac the flywheel screen after each use.

Have fun with whatever Horse you pick up!   :)

Tankman

My '90 520-8 Onan powered runs great. I would say PM, preventative maintenance. Oil changes, filters, clean fuel, vac the flywheel screen and keep the air flowin' at all times.

On the other side of the coin, my '85 416-8, an older horse, runs great. Almost like new.

Same deal, PM! Preventative maintenance, oil, fuel, vac the flywheel screen after each use.

Have fun with whatever Horse you pick up!   :)

• Like 1

546cowboy

I think there is too much Onan bashing on all these sites. :deadhorse:  They are great engines. I've had probably 8 or 9 and nothing compares for power. I've actually had more problems with Kohlers than with the Onans. When it comes to maintenance, you have to do that to any motor. It is a little more costly to de-carbon the heads and a pain to adjust the valves, you know the intake and exhaust manifolds have to come off ( new gaskets ) but it's all worth every penny when you hear that Onan roar to life. :woohoo:

Yes it is more expensive for parts but does your 'K' series have an oil pump, do you mow on uneven ground with little oil going to the bearings? Does your Kohler 'K' have an oil filter? Just how often do you change your oil?

Of course I've seen many Briggs that never got any, sat outside for years and still were running in less than an hour. More than I can say for Kohler or Onans. But does that make them a better engine? :twocents-02cents:

Edited by 546cowboy
  • Like 2

Tim Bergfeld

Thanks you have a good point

Tim Bergfeld

You know a 523dxi would take care of the wiring problems

WH nut

I think the 520s and the onans are sh!t, so send all of them this way and I will take them out of circulation. :eek:

• Like 2

Foozerush

Welcome to RS!! I have a 416-8 with the Onan.... Beast of a tractor. Pushes snow like a city plow truck, and keeps my back yard looking like a putt-putt long green. Regular maintenance and keeping stuff off engine is the key to long life I believe. If my engine ever fails, I'll spend the money on a rebuild, but I don't see that happening for years to come. Trust us Onan owners who have faith on them, some do have carb problems that a good cleaning cures. Next on my list of attachments is a tiller, or snowblower, but a shed is first in line, room short in the garage..... Good luck on your search for a Horse. Gregg

• Like 1