papaglide

C165 not starting

papaglide

I have been working on this tractor for a while now and now I am stuck. She was running at one point and then bam no spark. I changed the condenser, points, spark plug, and today, the coil. I laid the spark plug on the engine tin and turned the key. I saw a tiny blue spark. Good, I says to myself. I screw the plug in and after constant turning over she won't start. I take the plug out, smell gas on it so is it right to think that it's getting gas? I am smelling gas also.

I am now really puzzled. Any and all advise is really welcome........maybe it's a sign of which tractor to whittle out of the herd?

I forgot to mention that the carb has been cleaned and rebuilt as well.

Edited by papaglide

AMC RULES

Will it start on a shot of carb cleaner Mike? 

oldredrider

The C-165 is a shaker plate mounted motor. Check for a GOOD ground between the engine and shaker plate to frame.

A bad ground will give you a weak spark...at best.

You can try running a separate ground from motor to neg. side of battery too.

• Like 1

papaglide

Craig, I haven't tried cleaner yet. Paul, I never thought of the ground. I am not sure if the spark I saw was weak or not. I will check the ground also. Thank you guys! I will report back.

Desko

If it has weak spark out side the engine then under compression it has no spark.

The C-165 is a shaker plate mounted motor. Check for a GOOD ground between the engine and shaker plate to frame.

A bad ground will give you a weak spark...at best.

You can try running a separate ground from motor to neg. side of battery too.

Also check that

papaglide

The ground looks ok. I see a black wire running from one engine mount bolt to a smaller nut/bolt next to the other engine mount bolt. The nuts are tight and the wire is solid. The connections look alright. Should I loosen up the nuts and retighten them? She turns over and when I open the throttle she sounds like she wants to start and I see very, very, very, light white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Does this description help?

WH nut

Give it a shot of carb cleaner or starting fluid and see if she pops off

It may be flooded

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Longshot but how bout the spark plug wire???

squonk

Run a ground jumper anyway. You may be grounding through paint.

Firpo701

If grounding doesn't help it, I would run a hot wire from the battery to the positive side of the coil, which will bypass the ignition switch, solonoid, etc. If it starts with the hot wire, the problem lies somewhere in the ignition system, or possibly one of the safety switches. Its worth a shot...

• Like 1

pacer

Yeah, running the jumper bypassing all the wiring is definitely the next logical step....

papaglide

I tried to start it again earlier and I do believe that the carb is flooding. Gas was dripping out of the bowl. I took the carb off and there wasn't any crud in the bowl. Something may be wrong with the float or shut off needle? I think that I need to get this carb working at 100% once I get that done, then I can see if she fires up or if there is a further issue with the electrical system. Frustrating........

Road-Track

With the air cleaner off, Drain the carb and leave the gas line off. Give the carb a shot of staring fluid (ether) down the throat with choke open and then close it and try to start. If the electrical/timing is good it will fire. If not you have other problems. This will either rule out the carb or point toward it.

good luck, been there, :eusa-think:

Do love my C165

• Like 1