CasualObserver

Road trip sights....

CasualObserver

Was in Illinois visiting family for the 4th this past weekend, and took a whirlwind trip over to southern Michigan and back to pick up a tractor and attachment.  Wish I would have had time to arrange to meet up with some members since I know there are a bunch of you over in that area, but it was already busy being a holiday weekend and I needed to get back for a family cookout in the evening. Anyone live near this dealer? It's at the edge of Bridgman on the corner of Lemon Creek Road and Red Arrow Highway. Just curious, as obviously the old Wheel Horse sign on the left caught my eye.

20140705_133633-Copy.jpg

Or anyone live by Nyes Apple Barn?  

20140705_125305.jpg

Stopped for some fresh produce at Dutch Market Farm in South Haven... fresh blueberries and sweet cherries.... can you say yummy!!!???  Also stopped at Lemon Creek Winery just outside Berrien Springs for a few more souvenir flavors to take home.  I knew Michigan had some good fruit, but have never been there to experience it first hand.  As a kid grown up on orchard fruit I know there's nothing better in the world than fresh fruit.  Very jealous of what you south western Michigan guys have readily at hand!

I had never heard of the area being such a wine producer though.... going to have to bring the wife back for a few days and check it out more thoroughly when we can.

One last memory I'll share from the trip.... at the stop when I met and got my new tractor and attachment was the parking lot of a good old Mickey D's.... you know fast food restaurants don't allow walk-ups to the drive thru.... guess that doesn't apply when the vehicle itself is walking?

20140705_114923.jpg

20140705_115055.jpg

• Like 4

KC9KAS

Looks like you had a good time on your "road trip"

AMC RULES

Yeah, some true, old school horsepower right there.  :) 

shallowwatersailor

That's more horsepower than my David Bradley!

The wines have really improved in SW Michigan over the past few years. I would suggest Saugatuck as a base if you bring you make the trip as a getaway. There are a lot of little shops and good restaurants. I would also suggest the Round Barn Winery as a stop just east of Bridgman. We were there six years ago on a long weekend trip from Chicago, before we came East.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I could act as a guide Jason...and I am not out of the way to pick me up...just saying...:)  See you in LaSueur...:)

Digger 66

That's more horsepower than my David Bradley!

And my Cobalt  :scratchead:

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

wish you'd said something. We've got a blueberry farm in south haven, and would of let you come pick. Dutches is just a few miles from me. Anyways, looks like you had a good trip, and visited some good places.

• Like 1

CasualObserver

I'll be sure to let you know when I make it back over there Jake... never had such fresh blueberries before... they were pretty awesome. Appears to be the prime of your season... are you busy harvesting?

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

This year is a late season from the long winter, and the only ones we have that are currently ripe are the early blue variety. We probably won't begin harvesting the others until another week or so and then we are harvesting for about 3 weeks.

dclarke

Jason, care to tell us what you picked up in Michigan? Besides fruit.

CasualObserver

Jason, care to tell us what you picked up in Michigan? Besides fruit.

I got some wine too.drinkingredwine.gif

:ychain:

It's nothing drastic... a 753 "kit" and something to hang on it. No pictures as it was literally just a pile of boxes and two three speed transmissions.  I was hoping to get the tractor back together for Portage this weekend, but it appears that other time commitments are not going to let that happen.

Anyone else going to the Garden Tractor Show in Portage, WI this coming weekend?  I'm planning to be there Friday and Saturday at the moment... may only be Friday.

• Like 1