Fordiesel69

How to keep the shifter feeling like new.

Fordiesel69

I have two 312-8's.  My latest one has about 1200 hrs on it, and the shifter feels worn and sloppy and I believe it was because it was used in a mobile home park, and was constantly being shifted.  The newer 312-8 has only 500 and some hrs on it, and I got to see the original owners yard, it was straight.  So being it is very crisp and you can feel every notch perfect, how can I keep it like this? 

Fun Engineer

There is an adjustment nut and dog screw on the front of the case that puts pressure on the shift lever. Remove the top shift plate cover and the bottom cover to gain access. Loosen the lock nut and tighten the dog screw down. Back the dog screw off a quarter turn or so. Test the shifter for tightness. When you have it to the point is shifting smoother , tighten the locking nut.

Someone with more experience may be able to better describe the process.

Sent from my tractor seat.

Edited by Fun Engineer
  • Like 2

Racinbob

That explains it pretty well. Make sure you hold the screw with the allen wrench when you tighten the nut. It doesn't take much to go from sloppy to overly tight.

pfrederi

Check out the ball at the end of the shifter.  it may be worn flat on one or both sides.

• Like 1

tunahead72

Ditto to all these answers so far, it wouldn't hurt to check and adjust the shifters on both tractors while you're thinking about it.  And if you decide to go exploring further, make sure you don't drop anything into the hole where the shifter goes, it could ruin your day.

How are the fluids in these two tractors?

Fordiesel69

I replaced the fluids when I got them.  Fluids were brown, but no water at all.  I will perform the adjustment and report back.  I will not be touching the nicer 312-8 as it shifts better than any of my others.   

gwest_ca

Have seen the roll pin that secures the donut to the shifter break and give a sloppy to impossible shift. Think it depends on how it breaks. Some shifters came with the donut welded to the shifter.

Garry