AMRIV1983

1997 520H

AMRIV1983

Guys

I am looking at 1997 520H. It has a 60" deck with under a 120hrs. Tractor & deck appears to be in excellent  condition. What would you consider a reasonable offer would be?

Thanks

Addison

Edited by AMRIV1983

bowtieguy

Mine is priced at 2800 bucks......with 800+ hours on meter.....(are you sure about the 120 hrs?)

AMRIV1983

Yeah, It has a working HR meter and in excellent condition.

varosd

:wwp:

Vinylguy

He must have some idea of what he wants? If it is as nice as it sounds it is easily a $2500 and up unit. With that said

it is basically what you are willing to pay. 

seuadr

Prices seem highly dependant on location.. if it is in excellent shape I could see somewhere between 1500-2500. More with attachments.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

pictures help. 

Glenn

Vinylguy

Pictures make all the difference . :wwp:  :wwp:  :wwp: 

cheesegrader

A 17 year old tractor that has averaged less than 10 hours a year over its life?

I would be asking for the rest of the story. 

Stored and not run for a decade?

My guess that there is a large gap in the use history, and that is not necessarily good.

How are the tires?  Belts and fuel lines?  Does it surge? Hydro still strong? No leaks?

Like it or not, there is going to be something requiring attention.

If it isn't being used regularly, the list of possible repairs grows rapidly.

TIme matters as much as hours for rubber components!

To me, a swept axle 520 with gear reduction steering in good working condition at 1000 hours with a good 48"deck and an attachment or two, is $1000.

Adjust up or down from there.

If it is really like new, 60"deck in ready to mow condition, absolutely no work needed, 100 hours, I would expect $2500

I love a low hour tractor, but to me, that is 300-400 hours at that age.

Less than that, unless it is NOS, it doesn't increase value.

Forest Road

I bought a 96 520h w a snowcab and single stage blower 2-3 years ago. It had 100 hours on it. Hardly ran due to bad gas. I got it for $500. Traded it to a friend of mine for a spotless 175 hour 92 314h.

Today that 520 is showroom new with fresh paint and zero wear. I'd pay $2000-2500 for this one without any attachments. So $2-3000 with a deck is somewhat reasonable. Only if yours is showroom great.

Does the seller have an asking price?

Edited by Forest Road

AMRIV1983

Guys

I dragged my feet to long on the tractor, as it already sold. He was wanting $2300. Onto looking for another.

thanks

546cowboy

Well I have had 5 or 6 520's and they were in varying condition but I did get one in nice shape and well maintained at a very reasonable cost ( nowhere near those prices ). I didn't waist any time getting there to pick it up either. It just happened to be a 520-8 with a 48" deck. New paint and decals was pretty much all it needed but alas, I really had no use for an 8 speed so I sold it and not for anything like $2500.

The others were either basket cases, broken rods or valve seat popped out and most had the dreaded electrical problems. To me there is nothing like a 520H with that 60" deck when you have 4 acres to mow.

Edited by 546cowboy
  • Like 1

Tim Bergfeld

I need some help too about a 520h purchase what to look for and so on I am in cincy oh

Edited by Tim Bergfeld

MalMac

If you search here on RS you will find a lot of info on the Onan. It is a good and strong motor. It does have it's share of problems though. When it's working as it ought to, it is very hard to beat when it comes to power. It is just a very finicky motor. It takes a lot of attention and maintence to keep it in good working order but that can be said about any motor. Just the Onan will not let you slide on maintenance as say a Kohler would. One thing is true and that is they are very expensive to work on. Almost to the point that if something major goes wrong with it a lot of owners of the 520's go for a total re power VS. repairing the Onan. So the best advice I can give you is do some research on here because there is plenty of info Pro and Con on the motor and the 520. You will find people on here that love the 520 but hate it's electrical nightmare wiring. When the Onan is going strong and the 520 is not trying to have a electrical melt down it is one heck of a machine.

Tim Bergfeld

Thanks that's what the service shop guys say don't touch one with electrical problems but it is hard to beat when running good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martin

I would rather deal with a whole bunch of electrical problems instead of mechanical (engine) problems. Most all electrical issues on them are bad connections/wiring issues/safety switches or the fuse block problem. All easy fixes without a big dollar outlay, just time intensive......

Now if you have mechanical problems with the engine, that's where the money pit comes in...........

• Like 4

ericj

I would rather deal with a whole bunch of electrical problems instead of mechanical (engine) problems. Most all electrical issues on them are bad connections/wiring issues/safety switches or the fuse block problem. All easy fixes without a big dollar outlay, just time intensive......

Now if you have mechanical problems with the engine, that's where the money pit comes in...........

i agree 100%  electrical issues i can fix or have repaired at a reasonable price but a blown rod is expensive, a valve seat is not so bad though. i collect all the dead onan's i can at a reasonable price just for the parts if nothing else. getting enough that i should be able to build a good one out of the parts soon

eric j 

• Like 1