Tecumseh H60... no spark , then has spark?

this has me baffled....two weeks ago the Tecumseh H60 on my `68 wheel horse stopped running due to the lack of spark. had been running just great all summer.   i then put in new points , condenser , spark plug  AND a new coil.  this was all done with the magneto still on the engine, never loosened it's adjusting/mounting bolts. points gap exactly .020. spark plug gap .030.   the gap between the coil and flywheel magnets looked VERY close..hard to tell exactly with a mirror and flashlight. the two glued on magnets seamed strong. all the wires under the flywheel looked fine with no bare spots to short out.  i then got extremely week and sporadic  spark , not enough to run. wouldn't even pop with a shot of starting fluid.  i even disconnected the ground wire  to the switch in case it had shorted out....still the same

i didn't want to mess with it anymore and i needed to mow the lawn , so i swapped in another H60 that i new ran good and left that motor for another day.  that day was today , and before i tore it apart i tried it...and it's got great spark! probably the best spark i've  ever seen from a Tecumseh.  the motor ran great

i'm not used to things fixing themselves...i'm afraid it might  un-fix itself after i re-install it.   what do you think happened? maybe some crud on the points that got cleaned off?   should i take it apart and take a look , or leave well enough alone?

Terry M

Just a thought...which I do have on occasion.If you disconnected the ground wire at the switch....Then try disconnecting it at the points and see if that helps.  Then if no luck,Maybe recheck the other stuff too.

Edited by Terry M

just a follow up....i took it apart and re-cleaned and re-checked everything and the motor runs fine now.  ran it for 2 hours. must of had some crap on the points

• Like 1