whtractors24

NOS whel horse 420 LSE

RMCIII

Hello can of worms. Just my :twocents-02cents: . Yes, it is a rare WH. But to who? Only those who know what it is. It is not like it is a COPO, Baldwin or sYc, chevy... If you have the money and want it, get it, otherwise look for something else and stop making this WH out to be the "idle" of WH garden tractors..... :hide:  :scared-eek: ! To anyone else outside of the ring of WH/Toro garden tractors noone else knows what they are. I had someone walking by the other day stop and ask me if I had purchased my 518 at Lowes..... I had to chuckle at that one. WH people are a select group. He has something that others have thought about. Weather or not anyone thinks it is high or low, it is his rights, to put a price on it that he feels comfortable with. If it sells great, then someone thought the price was right. If it does not sell, then he only has himself to blame for putting the price he did on it...... Pay the price or let it go... I'm not a collector, but if I wanted to blow $4k on something that very few had, I would jump on it. Heck I paid a premium for NITEMARE #27.. There were only 100 of those made...

Rob

Edited by RMCIII
  • Like 4

dennist

I myself feel it is worth the asking price, that being said of course "most" just collecting round hoods or C-Series or D-Series or 5xi machines are not going to agree. The guys out there looking to get the most tractor for their buck are going to look at the fact that they can get the used 4x4 Kubota(etc.) with a loader and three pt for that kinda money.

IMO, it is a beauty of a tractor with a great engine and trans and all the looks to boot. I have owned and used a used one in the past and they are very smooth have plenty of power and feel great to be on. Now, like everyone else what is the reason to say not for me?....Storage and Money. Oh yeah, Money! At this stage of my life I enjoy marriage and I have to say leaving that sitting so I can say "I" own it.....well that may not be a positive in my life at this point and I am enjoying the positive.

• Like 1

Ken B

Does anyone know why they chose to put a 20hp Kohler in it versus the 20 hp Onan in which they were already using? Is it soley because they wanted it to be different or is there some other reason? When it comes to Wheel Horse's it is their version of a Baldwin Motion or Super Yenko, that might be why I like them so much..

• Like 2

ericj

correct me if i'm wrong but they were not using the 20 hp onan in 86 when they built the lse. they didn't start using the onan till 88

eric j 

• Like 2

857 horse

hey......i would just be happy with some engraving on my hod thingy.....jmo

• Haha 1

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Blast from the past.  Is anyone aware if this has been bought?  I've noticed over time the price has been gradually dropping. 

• Like 1

608KEB
On 7/12/2014 at 9:00 AM, Ken B said:

Does anyone know why they chose to put a 20hp Kohler in it versus the 20 hp Onan in which they were already using? Is it soley because they wanted it to be different or is there some other reason? When it comes to Wheel Horse's it is their version of a Baldwin Motion or Super Yenko, that might be why I like them so much..

I don't think WH used Onan motors until 1988. I'm not positive on that.

• Like 2

Warning:Unsupervised
On 7/12/2014 at 4:16 PM, 857 horse said:

hey......i would just be happy with some engraving on my hod thingy.....jmo

Old post here but if you mainly like the shiney engraved "hood thingy" head on over to a trophy shop (ask local ball fields who makes?) or fleabay even and have one of those thingy's made up for yourself. Heck' you can even make your tractor #1 of 1...lol

• Haha 2

dmoore

So is this tractor still in same location?

• Like 1

SPINJIM
8 minutes ago, dmoore said:

I know of one for sale in southern Pennsylvania.  It's not a NOS, but it's owned by a former WH dealer who is still a Toro dealer, and knows his stuff.

I haven't seen it, and it's probably not cheap, but not nearly as expensive as the NOS one.  He was going to bring it to the big show this year to sell it.

If you're interested, I'll get some info for you.

Jim

• Like 2

dmoore

Thanks Jim but I was just wondering if the fellow had finally let it go. Thank you for replying! Dave

• Like 1

RJR49

I'm wondering whatever happened to this one. My thought is that I would pay $4k for a "new" Wheel Horse before I would pay Home Depot $4k for whatever they are selling

• Like 1

DoctorHfuhruhurr
On 9/9/2020 at 9:10 PM, dmoore said:

bump

• Like 1

c-series don

I know this is an old thread, but did this tractor ever sell? Maybe some of the Connecticut guys know? 

• Like 1

stevebo
16 minutes ago, c-series don said:

I know this is an old thread, but did this tractor ever sell? Maybe some of the Connecticut guys know? 

Yes it did. It went to a new collector in CT. I know a friend of the new collector but do not know the collector. (If that makes sense)

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
On 6/15/2014 at 11:08 PM, Docwheelhorse said:

I "want" a "Virgin" GT1600 8 Speed

You mean a 1984 Work Horse ?

Horse Newbie
On 6/16/2014 at 6:45 PM, buckrancher said:

the factory just having the key on runs the hour meter

On my 1994 520H, the hour meter does not run unless the engine is running…

c-series don
1 hour ago, stevebo said:

Yes it did. It went to a new collector in CT. I know a friend of the new collector but do not know the collector. (If that makes sense)

It does make sense, but what doesn’t make sense is the guy that bought it isn’t a member here?! I would think that someone who loves these tractors as much as we do would be on Red Square? 

• Like 1

stevebo

I heard this was his first Wheelhorse and he was just getting into them. I would assume he drove it and did not just look at it so that it is no longer nos… 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Wheel-Horse

Nice to look at.

Made to work.

• Like 3

Warning:Unsupervised
On 2/16/2021 at 9:42 PM, RJR49 said:

I'm wondering whatever happened to this one. My thought is that I would pay $4k for a "new" Wheel Horse before I would pay Home Depot $4k for whatever they are selling

Very surprised nobody bought it to use with mowers costing 3-4k now its a better deal for sure.

Edited by 123GO