RMCIII

Toro - Wheel Horse Delayed/ Possible Resurrection

RMCIII

This has been talked about in many threads...... But hot off the presses... Yesterday I was at Sohars, picking up my filters.... When the service manager put the "XI" model number in the system, his eyes light up and said "Hey, did you know Toro is bringing back the Garden Tractor?" I said I had heard rumors some time ago. He said no, just recently becasue of the failure that MTD did to the line. According to him they had some prototype models made, but have delayed the reintroduction of the tractor. He seemed pretty sure that Toro would introduce the line again. Can anyone validate this?

Rob

• Like 1

Sparky

Cant validate but I am very interested in what they would be putting out.

Obviously not the classic line right?

Mike............

rexman72

ithink we all would be interested in seeing what they pound out but I am sure my wallet wouldn't allow a new purchase

whtractors24

Rob I actually work at a toro dealer and I was out at toro in Windham Minnesota in march. They do not have Any intentions on bringing back a tractor because one of there biggest things was near 2007 and before they were not doing enough volume with toro wheel horse. Then in 2008 tractor line went to mtd and that went down hill now we have no line of tractors ! The VP at toro said the only thing in the makes is a toro z with a steering wheel! I told him I know many guys who would buy a wheel horse and he said you can't bring me enough to change the production line over again:(

Edited by jason.c

RMCIII

The guy did not say what it would resemble/look like. But he sure light up when he pulled up the "XI" model number.

RMCIII

Rob I actually work at a toro dealer and I was out at toro in Windham Minnesota in march. They do not have Any intentions on bringing back a tractor because one of there biggest things was near 2007 and before they were not doing enough volume with toro wheel horse. Then in 2008 tractor line went to mtd and that went down hill now we have no line of tractors ! The VP at toro said the only thing in the makes is a toro z with a steering wheel! I told him I know many guys who would buy a wheel horse and he said you can't bring me enough to change the production line over again:(

There you have it. So, was a prototype ever made though? He seemed very knowledgable about what he was talking about.

whtractors24

Prototype of what one rob? Actually I made a mistake they make some dinky toro tractor its available only in u.k my boss said why can't I get those he said you want them thee 4000 a piece dealer cost! My boss said no way not for a toro!

RMCIII

Prototype of what one rob? Actually I made a mistake they make some dinky toro tractor its available only in u.k my boss said why can't I get those he said you want them thee 4000 a piece dealer cost! My boss said no way not for a toro!

Have no idea of what one. All he mentioned was prototype. What that means, not sure. There were about 6 people waiting in line, so I did not want to take any more time than necessary at the service counter.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

That would be great if they did another garden tractor. Imho, by what was posted it doesnt seem they will though.

Glenn

leeave96

IMHO - there is a market for a true garden tractor (by true, I mean a tractor that has the guts to pull a moldboard plow if needed) that comes in for less $$$’s than a SCUT.

Needs to have foot control hydro and a 60 inch deck option. I think the 5xi would fit the bill for this, but need a diff lock too.

MTD has their 2000/2100 series tractors, but no sleeve hitch for them. Simplicity is similar with their Prestige, though, supposedly one is available, but rare. The Deere x700 and Simplicity Legacy tractors are almost as expensive as a SCUT.

I find fit amazing I can outfit my 520H with a 60 inch deck, pull a moldboard plow and put a front end loader on it. Same for the 5xi tractors.

I hope Toro does something positive with a garden tractor. Dumping the Wheelhorse for an MTD box store tractor with red paint and a Toro logo was an all time stupid decision.

• Like 2

Forest Road

As much as I love my Xi and Classics there's no way I'd part with $7k+++ for a new one. I can get a 4x4 kubota Bx for a bit more. It'd be money better spent.

Lets just be thankful that Toro has been good with parts. For how much longer who knows. Until then I'm riding a horse!

• Like 2

papaglide

What he says^^^^^^^^. Forest sums it up for me as well.

Docwheelhorse

Well--- IF and thats a big IF Toro came back with the classic line I would be very tempted to buy one..... 

I think Ed Cole had mentioned that the fuel system on the Classic line was going to have to be changed over to a closed system and that Toro didn't want to bother,,,,

And face it folks..... everybody wants a zero turn to cut there grass and has a walk behind snow thrower to blow snow (yah me too....) . Nobody has a garden or a need for dragging anything---so where is the market? I don't know how JD, Simplicity and any others sell enough "big" garden tractors to make it worth while.... look around---have you SEEN any new Simplicities or JD's or even a "BIG" Cub Cadet or "BIG" Craftsman running around the neighborhood?

Tony

• Like 1

RMCIII

I'm going to make a "special" trip back to Sohars and speak with the service manager. It may not produce any fruit, but maybe I will get the info, on what "prototype" he was talking about. Stay tuned.

Rob

• Like 2

19richie66

That looks like a red ditch witch.

Forest Road

That looks like a red ditch witch.

Probably is. It's still red!

JackC

Here is the prototype of the new unit with the steering wheel.

We might even be able to afford one.

post-4541-0-51707700-1402970223.jpg

• Like 8