Theroundhousernr

C-175 8 speed

Theroundhousernr

Ok , I am starting to feel a little nuts but I couldn't help but go and pick this thing up. Once again a late night. We where on our way to play at an open mic and it just so happens, this thing was on the way.... Very solid tractor. I am keeping this on for sure. Seat is in great shape. I sure hope this runs. Its full of grass from last years mowing and I believe it was there only mower. More later.... Here is a teaser shot.

5arepahy.jpg

asu5u3av.jpg

Edited by Theroundhousernr
  • Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Nice pick up. Did it come with the snow blower parked next to it to?

Thanks for the tease shot. Good luck.

Glenn

Theroundhousernr

No , the blower came with the raider 10 that the girlfriend bought me. I am wishing that I could go down stairs tonight and see if I can get her fired up. I don't think the neighbors would like me to much if I did. :angry-cussingblack:  :text-imsorry:  :teasing-neener: .

AMC RULES

Nice score...they are great working tractors...

absolutely love mine too.    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Pollack Pete

Hey,nice C-175.I've got one that's a work in progress( like most of my tractors ).Love the black hoods.Plastic fenders on yours? Or steel?Have fun with your new toy.

Wheel-N-It

Hey thats really nice! So It looks like you have two Blackhoods now?

Theroundhousernr

Hey,nice C-175.I've got one that's a work in progress( like most of my tractors ).Love the black hoods.Plastic fenders on yours? Or steel?Have fun with your new toy.

It has steel fenders , but that's ok. I like the steel fenders.

Hey thats really nice! So It looks like you have two Blackhoods now?

Yes. The C-125A and the C-175 8 speed. I need to update my signature.

• Like 1

Desko

Is that a series 1 or 2 Kohler? Series 1 are no good splash lubrication no filter as a 2 is full pressure lubrication and has a filter.

Theroundhousernr

I don't believe there is anything bad about splash lubrication. All of our one lung kohlers are splash and we all know how they perform. And second, the KT series 1 is not splash lubrication in any way. It has an oil pump but only feeds the main bearings and cam. The cam is suppose to drip lubricate the rods. The motors are good up to 2000 hrs as long as oil is kept up with and not operated on steep hills for an prolong periods of time. Series 2 has a filter and drilled crank for feeding the rods with oil.

Besides for the price, this one was coming home with me regaurdless. I would like to have a series 2 but I believe I can keep this one running a long time if it is ok from the start.

kyle

• Like 6

pacer

That tractor looks to be very clean, must have been kept inside - and sounds like you got a good deal on it too.

On the subject of the KT-17's series 1 and their oiling method, I seem to recall reading somewhere Kohlers recommendation of the maximum grade to operate the engine at, anybody know what that was? I have 2 of the series one and both are in very good condition and I like them and the sound of them - I'd like to keep them that way!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Found here on Page 5 Pacer.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

post-3498-0-58369300-1402670291_thumb.jp

Theroundhousernr

That tractor looks to be very clean, must have been kept inside - and sounds like you got a good deal on it too.

On the subject of the KT-17's series 1 and their oiling method, I seem to recall reading somewhere Kohlers recommendation of the maximum grade to operate the engine at, anybody know what that was? I have 2 of the series one and both are in very good condition and I like them and the sound of them - I'd like to keep them that way!

It is very clean. The only reason it looks the way it does is because I had to bring it home in the rain. Can't wait to clean it up and try to get her to fire up tonight.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

pacer

Wow! - 30° :eek: Thats a pretty steep angle! While I have a couple ditches and smallish grades I dont think I have a situation that steep. Good stuff to know. Thanks Craig...

Roundhouse, I bought 2 C-175's that had been sitting outside for YEARS, one useable with an Eaton 700,  and the other an 8 spd with no tranny, but good engine. I've got the Eaton up and cutting grass, and am presently adapting the other KT-17 to a C-165 that had a blown engine. They are my first KT's and as I said I've really taken a shine to them. Also my first black hoods and I've take to their style also.

Edited by pacer
  • Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Some of the Series 1 guys can chime in on this, but I think those in the know run an extra pint of oil in the crankcase as lubrication insurance.

Theroundhousernr

A good friend of mine told me about adding an extra pint also. He knows many motors in and out. So I take his word.

boovuc

I keep about 8 ounces of extra oil in my Series I.

PS on Desko post: The Series II KT did not have a spin on filter like the Twin magnums. (Or at least one that I had did not and an acquaintance in nearby Mill Hall, PA who has a replacement Series II in his C-175 also has no filter. Just a full pressure oil system). The Kohler Service Manuals for the KT 17 and 19 show both Series I and II engines and there is no filter on the Series II. It's for this reason that we recommend anyone trying to identify their KT engine to go only by the Serial Number to determine if their motor is a Series I or Series II. All the engine tins are interchangeable and there are some people who "updated" their engine to a Series II by changing out a tin with a Series II decal.

Wheel-N-It

My series 2 does not have a filter. Because of that I have to change the oil every 25 hours just like a splash lubrication Kohler.

pacer

Is there no way to distinguish between the two engines other than the serial # or a teardown? One of the C-175's I bought was a 1980 model by the s/n on the tractor and would have had a series 1, but it almost certainly had had the engine replaced, it was painted that Kohler gray and was much cleaner than the rest of the tractor -- but, the serial # was on a piece of tinfoil and had rubbed/worn/washed off, with just 'Kohler' visible on it, so it could possibly be a series 2?

And I am also running a pint of oil over the mark on my 2 engines.

Edited by pacer

Theroundhousernr

Now you guys got me thinking I should check my serial number. Heck I have not even looked at the tractor since bringing it home. It has just been go , go , go.  I just got home now and I am thinking , should I stay up late and try to get the C175 ready for the bowers show or get up early tomorrow... I always seem to run out of time when I do last minute morning projects. At night I just keep chugging through till its done or I pass out from not enough sleep.

• Like 1

bo dawg

I know I enjoy mine, its in my profile pic. I wish I could find more. I got an 8 speed also but has a bad rod or something, just 1 cylinder works. I hear their hard to fix. Havent tried yet.

boovuc

The shroud/fly wheel cover of a Series II is different from a Series I. (Look at a 417 verses a C-175 and you'll see it immediately but again, these are cosmetic changes anyone can do if you have the parts). The serial number is the way to identify your engine. Those gray engines can be one of two types. Some gray engines were Kohler replacement engines that could be Series I or Series II but there were propane powered units gray KT's too. (Which can be converted to gasoline). In my opinion, I can't say too many bad things about a Series I KT. Are the Series II better? Yes! Can a Series I rack up many many trouble free hours? Oh yes! As long as you keep them predominantly level and you maintain them, they are nothing to lose sleep over! If you have a side slope or hilly yard, then I wouldn't use a Series I to mow with. If you have even a small little angled stretch like I do that can be mowed on the tractor by shifting your weight to one side or another, it shouldn't be done on a KT/Series I powered tractor. Over time, you have starved the top end of the motor while running hot under load and eventually, it will fail. (As many found out over time which gave the KT engines such a bad rap).

Oh and Bo Dawg..............mine ran on one cyl for a little bit and the issue was a fouled plug that wasn't caught right away. Pulled the jug, de-carboned/cleaned, new plug and plug wire and I had a twin .....again! 

Theroundhousernr

Well, Yesterday morning before the show I got to work on the C175. I pulled the deck off , checked oil , blew in the gas tank to prime the lines. I put the jumper pack on and it fired right up. Didn't want to idle but after a few minutes it was purring like a kitten. This machine must be low hours. No play in anything where you would expect it. It ran so good , I even brought it down to the show and bought a battery for it. You know a tractor is worth while around here , when I buy a new battery for it.lol

After the show, I cleaned up the deck and mowed the back yard with it for awhile to get it good/hot and to burn some of the stale gas out of it. Went to drain the oil and drats ! The oil drain tube is loose , which would explain the build up of grease and oil on the shaker plate. Guess now I am pulling the motor to fix that. Oh well , its always something.

All in all , its runs great , no smoke and sounds good too. SO I guess I cant complain.

u9egemyb.jpg

• Like 1

boovuc

I noticed the air cleaner is different on your C-175 from most. Mine is the round cleaner that is able to pull heated air from the manifold in the winter when the position of the air intake is changed. Interesting! Tractor looks great and glad to hear that KT is purring again!

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Doesn't look like mine either.   :confusion-shrug:  

Theroundhousernr

For you viewing pleasure......7e9ydera.jpg

buby2yda.jpg

Boy does it need a bath. I have to get around to that soon. I will post some picks after that. My 520H has cleaned up so nice , I have people asking me if I bought a new tractor. This one will to believe it or not.