Sign in to follow this  
Ken B

My latest boat...

Ken B

I recently picked this boat up from Stevebo... In the back of my mind I had a feeling it would one day be mine.

I'm almost done polishing it, I just need to do a little more on the very bottom where the trailer bunks are in the way. I think maybe next week while on vacation I'll get to that. When I get back from the show I'm going to have seat cushions made for it. Over the past few days I have been putting together a motor for it, a 1953 Evinrude 25 hp. Its now all together and purrs like a kitten, now I just need to repaint it and add decals...

IMG_1642_zps647f1bc3.jpg

IMG_1663_zpsdb2fe7e1.jpg

IMG_1667_zpsa5e145ab.jpg

IMG_1665_zps9955e0fd.jpg

• Like 5

Sparky

Love that finish Ken! How many hours go into just shining it up?

Mike...........

squonk

You're going to blind everyone on the lake with that boat! I'm buying stock in Rayban!

AMC RULES

Yep, some neat ol' boats you turn out there Ken.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

stevebo

I never have an issue selling/trading with Ken. I actually like it because I know that he will take it to the next level. I never expect it to be his forever but.... he always makes it better. Looks great Ken!! Maybe we can get out on the lake this weekend... the weather is suppose to be good. 

fireman

Ken you never cease to amaze me with the level of workmanship you put into these boats. That polish job is unbelievable! Can't wait to see that one up close.

Ken B

Love that finish Ken! How many hours go into just shining it up?

Mike...........

Thanks for the good words guys..

I'm not too sure Mike, probably 15 hrs. so far plus at least another 2 hrs. to finish up the very bottom... Its dirty nasty tiring work. My 20 yr old son Jesse gave me a hand for 5 hrs. or so and let me tell you that really helps! My 12 yr old son Cole kept the cold drinks coming and that really helps to!

squonk

Just curious, what did you use to shine it up ?

AMC RULES

I'm thinking, something like Mothers...

mag and aluminum polish. Great stuff.

Edited by AMC RULES

Ken B

I first wet sanded the boat with scotch-brite pads to remove oxidation etc. I then went over the boat many times with my Dewalt buffer using 3M rubbing compound and wiping the residue with lots of microfiber towels. I then went over it a few times with Mothers mag and aluminum polish... When I say its a dirty job I ain't even kiddin... I wear my most worn out jeans and shirts and toss them in the garbage when done for the day.  I had a friend that wanted to do the same to his boat. Well, after a half hr. or so he said the heck with this! Determination is key. To think that I polished two boats last yr!  Hopefully this was the last one I ever do....

• Like 3

Ken B

I've been working on painting the motor the past few days. I painted everything except the hood, I touched up the hood for now. The decals will take a few weeks to get so I'm gonna hold off on painting the hood..  I'll probably take it out on Monday  as I have the week off...IMG_1678_zps5a0a3a86.jpg

• Like 2

Martin

Nice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squonk

My eyes hurt!  :cool: 

stevebo

No more progress pictures ???? That motor looks "right" on there !!

AMC RULES

You should paint the trailer fenders to match your motor color. 

Edited by AMC RULES

Ken B

Blue fenders are in the plans for this week...

• Like 1

Ken B

I had a sucessful day on the water today. The Evinrude 25 ran pretty good but not as speedy as I need it to be. I need to find something a little speedier...

IMG_1694_zps31573c49.jpg

• Like 4

fireman

Man that thing looks SOOOOOO sweet!!!

Sparky

How big a motor is it rated for? Could you swap the prop to get the performance you want?

Mike............

stevebo

Mike- That is a 25hp and I spoke with Ken today. He tried a few different props and pretty much same results. I ran a 40hp on the boat and that is the ticket for it. I think he will have that motor on it until he finds one that he would rather run like a mid 30hp mercury. Ken likes the OMC but is a Merc guy at heart. lol

JimmyZ

Hey Mr. Horsepower,

Great job on the boat! Stick with OMC. The Evinrude or Johnson will have more grunt to push that Duratech. The Mercs are a dog out of the hole on that combo you got there. Maybe go with a 1959 Goodyear Sea Bee 25 with a 1958 OMC 35hp Powerhead as a real sleeper. It's nice to catch people off guard. I think I surprised you at least once with that combination.

Stroker Ace

PS I Still got it in me. See you on the water WFO.

• Like 1

Ken B

You were close this day, but no cigar....

Conn_RiverMeet062307_2004.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:scared-eek:  Looks like you got him on the holeshot Ken.  :auto-layrubber:

Ken B

Today Stevebo and myself played hooky on Candlewood lake and what a fine day it was! I got my boat back from the upholstery shop yesterday and I was really itchin to take it out. It was a pretty long day, I was on the water by 11 and I didn't get back to the ramp till almost 7 pm. Great day!

IMG_1731_zps8398be3a.jpg

IMG_1746_zps61c37113.jpg

I got a little wet taking this shot.

IMG_1744_zps7c7e9a01.jpg

JimmyZ

Boat looks great. Sorry I missed you guys out on the water today.