papaglide

Walbro carb adjustment

papaglide

My 314 has a command 14 horse with a Walbro carb. I was checking rpm's because it just didn't sound right at full throttle. I used my tach to check it and it is at 3240-3255 rpm's. I adjusted the idle screw to get her to idle at 1175 but according to the manual there isn't any way to adjust the rpm's at full throttle? How do I get her running at 3600 rpm's?

ericj

you know i've always felt that my 99 314-8 didn't rev the way it should have i did play with the throttle linkage and governor and got it a little better but never tach it and it's been several years since i made the adjustments

do you think they were made not to run 3600 rpms

eric j 

slammer302

I thought the walbro carbs are supposed to run around 3200 and 3300 I could be wrong but I think I've read that somewhere

• Like 1

ranger

Hi there from :greetings-waveyellow::flags-wavegreatbritain:  :greetings-waveyellow:  A good source of info is on A-1 Miller Enterprises website. Plenty about rebuilding all the carbs used on the Kohler engines. It also states that the Walbro non adjustable main jet carb is calibrated with just the right amount of fuel for running @ 3200 rpm,if you run above this you risk burning valves & pistons.Hope this is of some use to you.

Doug.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Hi there from :greetings-waveyellow::flags-wavegreatbritain:  :greetings-waveyellow:  A good source of info is on A-1 Miller Enterprises website. Plenty about rebuilding all the carbs used on the Kohler engines. It also states that the Walbro non adjustable main jet carb is calibrated with just the right amount of fuel for running @ 3200 rpm,if you run above this you risk burning valves & pistons.Hope this is of some use to you.

Doug.

Strange...........  I thought the Command engines made their horsepower through the valve train? Isn't that the purpose of overhead valves verses valves in the engine block?

papaglide

According to the Kohler manual, the engine produces the most torque at 3200 rpm and the most horsepower at 3600 rpm. Can some one explain what this means? Is it better to have the most torque or horsepower? And does this mean that the engine is supposed to run at 3200 rpm?

Wheel-N-It

Mike, I would have to say get those RPMs up to 3600. Then you will have those mowing blades spinning properly to give a good cut.

leeave96

According to the Kohler manual, the engine produces the most torque at 3200 rpm and the most horsepower at 3600 rpm. Can some one explain what this means? Is it better to have the most torque or horsepower? And does this mean that the engine is supposed to run at 3200 rpm?

You might be able to get to 3600 RPM's by adjusting where your throttle cable sets with respect to the carb. I had another color tractor with this same problem and that was the fix.

IMHO - you should run at full throttle, 3600 RPM's. This gives you maximum blade speed, maximum lubrication and maximum cooling potential. When you hit a tall patch of grass, your engine's governor will try to maintain the 3600 RPM's. At that point, you are maxed at the amount of fuel that can go into the engine and are truely making your engine's max hp. Once the engine starts becoming overloaded, the RPM's start to fall and you start getting into the torque curve. Think of torque as a baseball bat and the amount of torque when you swing it is based on your hand position. So when you're no longer choked up on the bat, your swing slows, but when you hit the ball, it will hammer it. Same with your engine hp's torque. RPM's slow, the engine has the big lever to muscle through the tall grass. When it's over, the engine returns to 3600 RPM's and your gold again.

• Like 1

papaglide

Thanks guys. With respect to the throttle cable, shorten it to get more motion on the cable?

doc724

Hi Mike

I had the identical problem with my 1998 314-8.  it probably ran at 2700-2800 rpm.  I had the local (non WH) mower repair guy come get it and get it right.  I think the fix was really quick and it was worth the $35 to have someone who knows what they are doing.  I had it back the next day.  RPM's were right (by ear) but then it ran really rich.  Richness is now fixed as well with a good carb cleaning

leeave96

Thanks guys. With respect to the throttle cable, shorten it to get more motion on the cable?

There should be a cable clamp at the carb. Loosen it with the throttle set at full throttle and slide the cable in the direction of full throttle. I believe (someone correct me) when you have maxed out the pull, you'll be at 3600ish rpms. No need to shorten the cable.

papaglide

Well, I just spoke to the guys at my local dealer and due to the OH valve design and emissions standards, the commands, including the twins, were designed to run at 3200 rpm's. The torque curve is different from the previous Kohlers, maxing out at 3200 not 3600 like the earlier engines. They told me that you are able to get the rpm's up to 3600 by adjusting the throttle cable like Leeave96 says, but it just isn't necessary. The engine will sound close to what we are used to hearing, but you will use more gas with no notable increase in power. I will repeat what the one fella told me, "don't mess with it, it's not worth it." And that my friends is good for me.