Wheel-N-It

Brought this home Saturday. What is it?

Wheel-N-It

Here is the latest score. I have been looking for a good 16hp Magnum for over a year now (can't have too many) to install in my C-165. Also was needing a nice padded high back seat to as a replacement for the 414-8 that I purchased right before the Big Show last year. I found this one within an hours drive from my house. It was a Father / Son project. The Son lost interest first and then the Dad. After getting it home and learning how to adjust the governor, and change the oil, I am happy to report the big Kohler runs nicely. It fires right up hot or cold, does not knock or smoke. It will be the perfect replacement engine for my C-165 Black Hood that I am so fond of. Then I will have a rolling 300/400 chassis to pick parts from.

I do have a question for those of you who know more about the 300/400 series of Wheel Horses than I do. There is no ID anywhere. It has the 8 speed with 1" axles. It has the 22" tall tires on the rear like a 310, and the 6" wheel in front like a 310 or 312. It has an hour meter on it like a 312 or 416. So could such a Wheel Horse have come from the factory equipped like this? If so, what is it? A 316-8? A 416-8 (down graded)? Or is it a 310-8 with an engine transplant, which is what I am thinking it is.

Anyway, what is your opinion?

Thanks,

Van

post-5982-0-20721700-1402320509_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-73831300-1402320527_thumb.jp

• Like 1

SousaKerry

Do you have the spec numbers for the engine?  You could track it down from the motor numbers on what the spec was built for. 

papaglide

That's a sleeper tractor! Like a Plymouth Duster with a big engine.  Looks like your average 310 until you look under the hood, then you know she means business!! 

I am agreeing with you, a 310 with a transplant.  :beer:

Edited by papaglide
  • Like 2

leeave96

Van - I'm thinking the tractor's been repowered.  Are you certain the engine is a M16?

varosd

Van,

Bring it to the show and we can inspect it! (run it around) :D

• Like 3

Wheel-N-It

I may be able to remove just enough overspray on the engine lable to see whet the spec numbers are.

Bill, I'm sure its an M16. There are 9 bolts holding the cylinder head to the block. Check out the pic below.

Also check out the shiny new Wallbro. :wh:

post-5982-0-86142500-1402349206_thumb.jp

buckrancher

312/310 transplant

• Like 1

squonk

Van,

Bring it to the show and we can inspect it! (run it around) :D

Tug of war! Make that pancake muffler Bark!  :happy-jumpeveryone:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

oldredrider

K series 16's have 10 bolt heads. Not sure on the Magnums.....

Wheel-N-It

K series 16's have 10 bolt heads. Not sure on the Magnums.....

Well I stand corrected. Thank you OldRedRider. I just looked at the Magnum service manual. Low and behold its not a M16. The M16's all have 10 head bolts. Of course I still can't complain. Its a good running engine, and I only paid $200 for the whole tractor. As far as I am concerned though, that M(whatever it is) will still be transplanted to the C-165.

I learned something new today !!! :wh:

Wishin4a416

Your gonna need a bigger Barn Van!

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I just bought one Jack! I have been needing one for a long time. Finally I bit the bullet and bought one that I'm very happy with. Its the "Wheel Horse and Chainsaw Barn"

• Like 1

oldredrider

Van, PM sent.

tbarnhart

A quick way to tell the 16 hp motors is the exhaust port. The 341/m16 have 1-1/4 pipe threads instead of the 1 on the 10, 12, and 14's.

• Like 1

leeave96

Van - when you pull the engine, you might think about ridding the balance gears. I'm pretty sure the Magnums had them. Haven't been in mine to check - yet....

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

OK Guys, I need to know what would be the best chemical to remove some light paint overspray off of this mystery Magnum engine tag. I cannot read the information posted there. I don't want to use something too harsh that would remove this information. I have some paint thinner, would that be the choice? or something else?

Edited by Wheel-N-It

leeave96

OK Guys, I need to know what would be the best chemical to remove some light paint overspray off of this mystery Magnum engine tag. I cannot read the information posted there. I don't want to use something too harsh that would remove this information. I have some paint thinner, would that be the choice? or something else?

Van - I've got an M14 from a Wheelhorse setting in my basement and went down to have a look-see. The PO of this engine gave it a spray paint job, but masked off the Magnum M14 decal and the silver decal on the shroud side with the spec numbers. That spec number tag, though it doesn't have any overspray on it, is otherwise washed out. While I was looking, I remembered that on the K series Kohlers I've had on the bench have the displacement of the block cast on them - so with a light, I started looking and found it. "321" is cast on a recessed pocket just valve the PTO. So at least I know the engine is a 14 hp Magnum via that mark and the electronic ignition. I guess if I needed, I could back into a spec number, maybe via partstree.com.

Take a look-see at your block.

Good luck,

Bill

Wheel-N-It

Thank you TBARNHART. You jogged my memory about the upsized exhaust outlet. This is true.

Bill, Thank you for that helpful hint. I need to verify what I discovered last night. I put the mystery tractor in the shop last night and went to work removing overspray from the decal located just behind the throttle/choke linkage near the fuel pump. The engine is a 12 horse power Magnum. So now I'm thinking the tractor is a 312-8. As I posted earlier I'm still not disapointed due to the fact the engine runs really well and I transplanted it's seat to the 414-8. I have a nice Wheel Horse muffler sitting in the shop that I could put on this engine to make it more pleasing to my ears, however I beginning to rethink the transplant of this engine to the C-165. Its just too nice of a tractor to not have at least a 16hp powering it.  Maybe I'll think on this some more at the Big Show :eusa-think:

bo dawg

I would guess 312-8

• Like 1

seuadr

Duh, thats a wheel horse! :-D

Wheel-N-It

UPDATE:
This Wheel Horse is no longer mine. Lo and behold, two of our members got in touch with me. One offering to sell me a recently rebuilt good running K341 rubber mounted Kohler (correct engine for the C-165), and another member offering to purchase this 312-8. Talk about good timing!!! So after a few phone calls and a couple of hours drive time, Don1977 (another NC member) arrived to pick up his new tractor. This was my first time meeting Don face to face. I really enjoyed our time together, and I hope to see him again next time I'm in the western part of NC.

Should all go well I will be picking up the K-341 at the Big Show on Friday. Also picking up a excellant condition high back (wheel horse embossed) seat for the 416-8.

I am delivering a 42"RD deck and mule drive, also the PECO rack that I had advertised.

Yes I'm excited, and looking forward to Thursday when Jay and I leave for Pa.

• Like 1