leeave96

Ready to Set The Tractors on Fire!!!!!!! The Tubes are Killin' Me!!!!!!!

shorts

remove the valve core, blow up the tube, let it go flat, install it in the tire with the tire halfway on the rim and fish the valve stem thru the hole and hold in place with a valve tool or a metal truck tire extension, finish installing the tire, if you are using a valve tool you will have ti remove it ti air up the tube, at this point I get out my old school chicken pliers, with the bent tips and plastic insulated tips for pulling sparkplug wires and use them to hold the valve stem without damaging it while air up the tire, while still holding the valve stem let the tube deflate and relax and then reinflate and deflate a second time so the tube can get comfortable in the tire then install the valve stem and inflate to pressure.  I know it's a lot of screwing around but it will give you the best tube life

• Like 2

546cowboy

Someone actually has a tire place that does FREE work? You have to telling a story there. Sounds like one of those "You aren't going to believe this but............."

Edited by 546cowboy

ranger

The only time I`ve had problems is if the tube is fitted in the wrong way round, so I always 'Air up' initialy with the valve core out.It also can save a tube if you trap the tube under the bead and have to remove the core to let the air out before any damage is done.

kudzu3

No cowboy, not a "you are not going to believe this but..." story :angry-nono: . Turner Tire, here in Jasper, Ga, gets all my tire and tire related business, to show their appreciation, David does small, simple jobs at no or very small charge. Sorry you don't have any friends like that where you are. After all, how much could it possibly cost to put air in a tire? :eusa-think:

leeave96

OK - tried another tube tonight, but first thing I did was air it up out of the tire to see where the final location of the valve stem was when inflated. Once that was known, I put the tube in the tire, inflated a couple of times and all is good.

Learn something new every day!

I think you for your replies and my tractor thinks you, though I might make it drink some of the stale gas rather than burn it.... ;)

• Like 1

TDF5G

Sprinkling powder inside the tire helps the tube slip into place when airing up also.  

• Like 1

buckrancher

I've lost one tube because the valve stem fell into the rim upon air up and had to puncture the tube just to get the tire bead broken to retrieve the stem. Just had another tube's stem tear away from the tube as I held it when airing up and down and up again.

two questions are you using the correct size and style tube with a off set valve stem
and are you putting it in the right direction with the offset facing the valve stem hole in the rim?

Brian

• Like 1

Brian01

I always use needle nose pliers to gentle grip the valve stem to keep it out while airing it up. Just my 2¢

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Had to be easier...     :blink:
first time going to the moon. 
  • Like 1

ronhatch

I have a thin nut that screws on the valve stem that keeps the tube from falling into the rim. That way, I can install and/or remove the valve core without removing the nut.  Always use baby powder on the inside of the tire. After it's all together, add a little air and hit all around the tire with a hammer or bounce the wheel on the floor several times so the tube settles in properly.  It doesn't hurt to do it a couple of times before filling it to the full pressure. Just one of the many things my dad taught me years ago.

Edited by ronhatch
  • Like 1

squonk

Speaking of free tire work, i got some new tires for the front of my Power King. No tubes. The rims are narrow and after getting the tire on I couldn't get the beads to seat. Only place that was open was a tire chain store 15 mi away. I take them there and the smug manager says we can get them seated no problem. We have a super-whoopie bead seater. First tire takes less than a minute. 2 nd tire takes over a half hour. I hear the guy stuggling with it. He finally gets it. Manager brings it out and says your all set. I say how much and he says no charge. I bought all the guys coffee

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

TDF5G

Sometimes a strap tightened around the tread of the tire can be used to seat the beads.  Like a ratchet strap, or improvise a rope twisted with a board or chain, etc.  Might save a trip to the tire shop.  Also spreading the bead a day or two before mounting helps.  Use blocks of wood stuck between the beads or an inner tube aired up in the tire, if you have one on hand.  Be sure to remove the valve core from the stem when seating beads to get more air volume in the tire also. 

tire strap.jpg

stevasaurus

I can't believe I am doing this.  :ph34r:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpu-OZhRrT0

:ROTF:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

Brian01

Okay, now, I'm a country boy, but that right there is some deep woods hillbillies puting a tube in a tire!

:laughing-rofl:

• Like 2

JP 141

I have actually sealed a 2 piece rim with Rust-oleum leak seal rubberized coating and made it tubeless...Also with a solid rim, I clean it good and glue the bead with Gorilla Glue...you need to slightly over inflate it at first, then when cured you can lower the pressure to normal operating pressure...Same process and takes some time to cure, but the aggravation factor is minimal. Burning a Wheel Horse is against the law...lol