leeave96

Ready to Set The Tractors on Fire!!!!!!! The Tubes are Killin' Me!!!!!!!

leeave96

OK - trying out some tubes on the front wheels this year instead go going back to slime, but having a trifling time of it!!!!!

How in the &$#% does one keep the valve stem from falling into the rim when airing up?

I've lost one tube because the valve stem fell into the rim upon air up and had to puncture the tube just to get the tire bead broken to retrieve the stem. Just had another tube's stem tear away from the tube as I held it when airing up and down and up again.

If this trend continues, I'll have as much $$$’s in the tubes as I do in the tractor!!!!!!

What is the secret?!?!

Kerosene, stale gas and match at the ready.....

Any tips, tricks or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

Under edit:

P.S. This is the tractor and I'd like my owner to know how to fix the tire. While I like both Wheelhorse and Toro red, I don't like flaming red..... YIKES!!!!!!!

Edited by leeave96

KC9KAS

41WfkBtf7YL.jpg

This holds the valve in place while you install the tire. Remove this tool and HOLD the valve stem with 1 hand and air it up with the other hand!

Edited by KC9KAS
  • Like 4

leeave96

41WfkBtf7YL.jpg

Thanks - got one of those. How does one inflate the tire with that in place?

wrmhaste

Pinch the valve stem with your fingers on one hand and air with the other. Sometimes I've found the stems to be too short so put vacuum hose on both sides of needle nose pliers and that tends to work good.

rmaynard

You don't. Once I get the tire mounted, I hold the rubber part of the stem with a small pair of vice-grips, then remove the tool, and inflate. Once inflated, the vice-grips are removed and you are good to go.

• Like 6

Kelly

Be sure your not putting the tube in backwards, make sure the stem is on the up side, sometimes I put just a tiny bit of air in the tubes to get the wrinkles out then pull the core, to let the air back out. 

• Like 3

leeave96

Pinch the valve stem with your fingers on one hand and air with the other. Sometimes I've found the stems to be too short so put vacuum hose on both sides of needle nose pliers and that tends to work good.

Yea - I did that and the tube pulled out of my fingers.  I even had the tube mashed against the hole to help hold it.

You don't. Once I get the tire mounted, I hold the rubber part of the stem with a small pair of vice-grips, then remove the tool, and inflate. Once inflated, the vice-grips are removed and you are good to go.

Probably what I ought to do.  For whatever reason, I like to inflate a tube, let the air out and re-inflate.  The idea is to let the tube unfold/uncurl in the tire before final airing-up.

Be sure your not putting the tube in backwards, make sure the stem is on the up side, sometimes I put just a tiny bit of air in the tubes to get the wrinkles out then pull the core, to let the air back out. 

Pretty sure the tube isn't in backwards - but as it inflated (both of them) they wanted to pull the stem down into the tire.

What I'm wondering is - back in the day when everyone used tubes, from farm tractors to car and truck tires, you'd think there would be a valve extension available that has a large OD such that the valve stem can't go back into the rim regardless.  If I could find something like that, I'd be cookin' with gas!

AMC RULES

Pull the stem through it's hole...

then, on the outside of the rim,  wrap with enough tape to prevent it from falling back in. 

You simply remove the tape after the tire is mounted, and aired up.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 2

Martin

lots of good ideas here.

I've done my share of front tubes. i use the tool mentioned until i get everything settled and ready to air up. i find that a little air helps to form the tube, but too much will fight you. Like Kelly mentioned there is an 'easy' side of the tube and one that will fight you no end. the wheel valve hole position doesn't make it easy and the valve stem is never really in the right spot. 

ive also found the cheaper tubes aren't always your friend. the best tubes I've used are the ones that the tire places sell, the farm and fleet variety put up more of a fight sometimes.

I've never tried the vise grips idea Bob, next time i will give it a go. usually i have no problems holding the valve in position with my fingers after removing the tool. I can also see merit in Craig's idea as well.

oh, and another thing, the early narrow front rims are definitely easier for me than the 5.38 width ones. but the easiest I've ever done are the JD wheels on my 416 build, go figure........

maybe it was just the nicer tubes that came with the Vredestein V61s..... :thumbs:

brandonozz

Had a similar problem when filling with fluid.  The weight of the fluid sagging in the tire actually pulled the stem into the rim when I removed the fill hose. 

I used vice grips on the stem the next time with good success.  I was able to find a small bolt with the same diameter/threads as a valve core and about 3" long.  I was able to screw the bolt into the stem and get it thru the rims hole to prevent me from having to dismount the tire.

jimt1971

Must be a 6 inch tire. I worked for three days to put tubes in the pullers tires. When I saw Harbor Freight had tires and rims for $15 a piece. I will do 8 inch tires all day before I will do a 6 again.

Wheel-N-It

I'm jumping in here kinda late Bill, but holding the stem with a pair of needle nose type vise grip pliers has always worked for me.

• Like 1

SousaKerry

Full size tractor tubes have a jamb nut to keep them in, I have seen short extensions for them but I'm not sure where.

squonk

I take em down the street to the tire shop. If they ruin a tube putting it in they pay for another one!  :)

• Like 3

km3h

I throw the tire away and just buy a new one. Of I patch the inside of tire if it is any good.

wrightorchid

Also, try to use a chuck that will lock on to the stem.

• Like 1

tunahead72

Bill,

I think you have enough information now, your tractor and I would appreciate it if you would put your kerosene/gasoline/matches away. :)

• Like 1

C-85

I have installed many of these and learned the hard way of some things not to do.  We always install our tubes by hand with just basic tools (screwdrivers and a vise).

I like all of the suggestions here, and have one more that I don't think was mentioned.  I always leave the valve core out when blowing up the first time, that way if for some reason the valve stem slips through my fingers or tool, I don't have to pop the tube to get the stem back out.  Like someone else advised, this also helps get the wrinkles out of the tube before I blow it up for the last time.

This has worked for me! :)

• Like 3

kudzu3

Put air in the tube prior to installing. Just kidding :laughing-rofl: . Really, just take it to the tire shop, they'll probably do it for free, mine does.

rmaynard

When I was a kid, flat tires on the bicycle were a regular occurrence. We went to the Western Auto store, got a tire patch kit, fixed the tube without even taking the tire off the rim. The great thing about using a bicycle hand pump was that the air chuck clipped onto the stem, preventing it from getting away.

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Zeek

:text-yeahthat:  It's worked for me too . . .  just don't clamp hard enough to damage the valve

can whlvr

I have the air chuck that clips on,and also use the no valve first time