DotheDoo

Cordwood saw to run of pto- ever done this?

DotheDoo

I'm just wondering if anyone here has converted a free standing cord wood saw to fit on the front ot their 300,400,500 series running it of their PTO? And it is removable or just used a long belt to the saw to make it work? Thanks

rexman72

sounds like a good project to make it work

dcrage

There is an occasional CL listing out of KC, MO selling something like this attached to a Lawn Ranger -- I believe it was said on Red Square that this modified tractor originated out Minn. or Wisc.

Racinbob

I had to do a search to see just what a cordwood saw was. It looks like it would be pretty easy to set one up to run off a Wheel Horse PTO.

baerpath

There was one on Binghamton C list over the winter, hooked to a C160. Looked like they used a 24 inch blade rather than the 36 one

Tankman

Sounds like a can-do project. Years ago in Kinzers, PA we used long belts off steam tractors to run saws.

Rough 'n Tumble in Kinzers was a favorite place for my two sons. Personally, I enjoyed the hard cider the most, the most!   :laughing-rofl:

http://www.roughandtumble.org/

Edited by Tankman

DotheDoo

I came across one that has a 27" blade but I need to find out with side the pulley is on....

SousaKerry

We had one mounted to the front of a Farmall H as a kid Belt Horse Power of an H is rated at 24HP, don't recall how big the saw was but we had no trouble cutting through railroad ties with it as that was our primary heat source in the early 80's.  Nasty stuff to burn but at the time it was free for the taking. 

dcrage

And my Grandad used to cut firewood & wooden posts with his Farmall H belt driving a stationary circular saw -- I must have been 12-15 years old when I was helping him -- Damn the memory of that thing is still scary -- No gaurds; open 24 inch blade buzzing around -- Geez!!! -- Give me a chain saw any day

• Like 1

wh500special

...Geez!!! -- Give me a chain saw any day

Not often that a chainsaw is considered a safer alternative to something.  Made me smile!