papaglide

KT 17 series 2 problem

papaglide

The KT in my 417-A has a broken governor gear. I am not able to fix it myself and it seems too costly to have a shop fix it. I really don't know what to do with the engine and am looking for ideas for repowering or ideas of what to do with the tractor in general. I like the tractor but the engine kind of makes the tractor though.....

post-2771-0-54868600-1399782108_thumb.jp

daveoman1966

If you like your tractor, you can keep your tractor.  If you like your engine, you can keep your engine.  Be prepared to spend more for repairs though, as it is the top-of-the-line Kohler Twin engine, lots better than any repower you'd find.    

Fordiesel69

You are a ways from me, but maybe a member here would offer to do it.  The gear + gaskets would not be much. 

If you are physically able to do the work, people on here can help you out.  I know it is hard but not impossible.  You would be amazed what hand drawn diagrams and masking tape will do for the reassembly.

For me, some parts of the year I am unable to do the work as my disc in my back flares up, and I cannot even lift a tool box, let alone bend down to work on a tractor.

boovuc

A big single Kohler like a 14 or 16 horse would fill that area in under the hood. I know what you mean by losing a big Kohler twin though. I wish you weren't north of Buffalo. Every time I see an opportunity for a Series II KT, they are pretty far away. Maybe a trip to the "Big Show" this summer could get you a fix or a replacement. Right now, I only have a spare P220 Onan and a K301 on my bench ready to run.

Bets of Luck to you, Mike!

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

I forgot, but the only other suitable repower for that tractor would be a K341 16HP or a M16 magnum.  Neither are easy to locate, not even for a high price.  You can find 12/14HP models easier, but you would notice the power loss.  With the 16 single you will hear the loss, but the performance will still be good.

papaglide

I priced out the gear and stuff and it would only run about $60 but the shop quoted me around $700 to do the work!!!! If I had it I would spend it but we know how that goes. From what I have learned, I think that the gear is at the bottom of the case. If it is, I could still run the tractor and govern the rpm's manually until I can get it fixed?

Edited by papaglide

papaglide

I don't think that I would ever mess with taking apart an engine by myself, I just feel real apprehensive(scared!) to get that involved. I do have a K341 on the C-165 I got recently. I could have someone do the engine swap then look for a 12-14 horse replacement for the 165? This might be less costly than rebuilding the KT?

posifour11

Its not as bad, once you crack open your first one. The manual goes step by step. You'd be fine. Plus, these guys are great with help, as you know.

Wheel-N-It

Mike, being a 417-A owner myself I highly recommend you save your money and save that KT-17. Even if it takes a year, get that engine rebuilt.

• Like 1

leeave96

Mike, being a 417-A owner myself I highly recommend you save your money and save that KT-17. Even if it takes a year, get that engine rebuilt.

+1

• Like 1

JackC

Saving the engine would be my first approach or finding a used replacement.  There are plenty of mechanics around including home hobbyist types that could do the labor for a lot less.

I purchased a 1986 417A that was ugly and did not run for $250. It only had 550 hours on the clock and the clock worked.  The  PO said there was no spark and a shop told him it was probably a bad stator.  After trouble shooting it turned out to be a simple bad connection to the condenser,  The carburetor needed to be cleaned and the starter also needed to be replaced due to many attempts by the PO to start the engine.  The baby runs like a top and other than some rust there is very little wear.  It also came with a great 48 inch side discharge deck and chrome hub caps.  These deals do come up from time to time.

Here she is doing some yard duty for me.

post-4541-0-33370100-1399829208_thumb.jp

• Like 2

papaglide

Thanks a lot for the responses. I am going to sell some stuff, save some money and get the engine rebuilt. I don't want to mess with the tractor by repowering, I want to keep it original. That being said could I run and govern the rpm's myself WITHOUT doing more damage? Or should I just park until I get it rebuilt?

Wheel-N-It

Mike, as a friend I would have to say drain the fuel (even in the carb) and put that sweet 417 inside the garage until you can get the engine overhauled.

• Like 1

papaglide

Thanks Van, I appreciate your answer, even though it's not what I wanted to hear! I am going to call a few shops around this week and see how they compare with my local dealer.($700) maybe I can find some one who can do it cheaper and get that engine rebuilt sooner. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks again everyone for the great advice!

• Like 1

smoreau

Are you sure the gear is broke? How did you come to the conclusion  that the gear is broke? This is my favorite WH engine and I have 4 of them, and happy to help.

• Like 1

papaglide

Scott, the mechanic that I took it to surmised that it was broken. The rpm's can only be governed by adjusting the throttle, the rpm's won't self adjust. The spring has been replaced. Please help me out. How should I try to diagnose it?

smoreau

Have you down loaded the manual from Kohler, it is free!  All the linkage is there and do you know if the governor is adjusted as per the manual? I have seen the shaft slip on some K series engines and was wondering if that could be the problem.  If that is all correct, then I would say that a weight has broken off the governor. I have rebuilt these engines and they are not that hard, Yes they are a split case, but they are no harder then a single cylinder K series engine.

• Like 1

papaglide

I have looked at the manual. I am assuming that the mechanic knew the linkage and how to adjust etc.....how can you tell if the shaft has slipped? I fired it up earlier just to watch everything work and I couldn't even put it up to full throttle. She sounded like she was just revving higher and higher.

km3h

First do not take it to a lawnmower shop. They're very conscious of using set prices to fix things. These engines are not that complicated. If you absolutely do not want to try it yourself, take it to small shop that rebuilds engines. I needed to have a Kohler re-bored and the crank turned. Took him the engine and he did the job as well as the valves for about 120 labor. I supplied the valves, piston, and gaskets. You pull the engine he does the work and you reinstall it.

Search YOUTube for Videos on the engine. If it was in good condition, it still is. You don't have to tear the whole engine to make that repair. Fix what is broke if you can't afford to rebuild it now.

• Like 1

papaglide

Thanks. When I get the time I will check out YouTube. I may be looking to sell the tractor though as I have a lead on another 1998 WH with a 2 year old deck! Decisions, decisions......