Kennedy

Rainy day Steelhead

Kennedy

I stood in the rain for a couple hours just to have the river to myself. Normally the river is packed with people while the steelhead are in it but the rain kept most of them away.

This one was a 20" male and came home with me.

Steelhead22014_zps4f7b285e.jpg

This one was about 22-23" female and went back in.

Stealhead12014_zpsae622b5b.jpg

Steelhead122014_zps254facd8.jpg

This is one from 2010 and is the biggest one I ever caught. It was 33" and about 12-15lbs.

DSCN1332_zpsec37d547.jpg

DSCN1331_zps5c6cc6d1.jpg

• Like 2

rmaynard

Nice catch :thumbs:  How big was the one that got away? :teasing-poke:

• Like 1

boovuc

You lake guys always make me envious about not having access to salmon and steelhead. How are your stream conditions? Seems our water levels here on the local streams are running at summer levels already. We need rain! Even with all the snow we had!

stevasaurus

Nice looking Steelies...those last 2 really have some nice rainbow color to them.  That has to be a riot with a fly rod.  :)

• Like 1

squonk

OK you guys. Ignore my ignorance. How do you tell if they are male or female? Do you ask them?  :)  :confusion-scratchheadblue:  :scratchead:

Edited by squonk

Kennedy

You lake guys always make me envious about not having access to salmon and steelhead. How are your stream conditions? Seems our water levels here on the local streams are running at summer levels already. We need rain! Even with all the snow we had!

We have no shortage of rain here. The river has been high and unfishable most of the season.  When the steelhead leave most of the people do too, then the smallmouth come in and I have the river to myself without the rain. People come from all over the state to fish this river we are definately fortuneate.

Nice looking Steelies...those last 2 really have some nice rainbow color to them.  That has to be a riot with a fly rod.  :)

It is a blast on the fly rod. You need two things lots of backing  and a good knot between the backing and the fly line or you will be chasing your line down the river. :no:

OK you guys. Ignore my ignorance. How do you tell if they are male or female? Do you ask them?  :)  :confusion-scratchheadblue:  :scratchead:

Well they are only in the river for one thing and its not eating. When you pick them up and put a little pressure on their bellies one of 2 things come out. It is either eggs or not eggs. :mrgreen:

Digger 66

Nice shots ! 

Thanks for sharing the pictures .

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Ya...no kidding on the backing.  I can see you hooking one...and everyone has to stop what they are doing and watch to see if you can land it...while you are kind of walking with it.  It does not get any better then that.

It is the kind of things dreams are made of.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1