diggerjames

New project C175 on tracks !

diggerjames

Hi all as you may of followed my previous post about finding a C 175 in a yard , I've decided I want to do something Different as you know my business revolves around plant machinery so I'm going to put this horse on Tracks . Which I'm sure I'm going to have a lot of head scratching to do , any advice gladly welcomed , thanks James

The donor tractor

post-12304-0-29091000-1399483952.jpg

Eric857

I have always thought about putting two transaxles together on the back of an existing tractor and having tracks made to go over the wheels for more ground contact... 

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

:woohoo: this already sounds like an awesome project james, what are you thinking of? half track or full tracks back to front? 

Koen

diggerjames

Hi Koenig , Eric I'm think of full tracks , home made etc . I was thinking of using mini digger tracks but I like the idea of making my own . I've seen a couple of very good ideas on you tube,which has given me some inspiration to do it . That's a good idea too Eric !

Edited by diggerjames

redrooster

I've never seen a half-track horse. That would be interesting! Maybe something like this?post-12156-139948663278_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Eric857

yes sir, that would be the way i was thinking of, and if you engineered it right you could have four wheel drive in the back. you could really push some snow with that bad boy

diggerjames

That looks a good idea be ok for logging etc with a winch on the rear !

bmsgaffer

If you do half track, the transmission should work as is, I would just put turning brakes on for added traction control.

If you do full tracks, I would go all out with a full on hydraulic pump and hydraulic drive motor on each track. Seems like adapting the transmissions are more time and effort than just to buy hydraulic hub motors. There should be some good surplus of these things around.

Steel tracks will be sweet, but rubber tracks and 15+mph would be sweeter... 30HP EFI Kohler engine or 3 cyl diesel...

diggerjames

That's a good idea Brandon but I want to use as much wheel horse parts as possible including the transmission but anything can change !

James

meadowfield

Hey, you can't make your tracked horse until I've finished (or even started) mine :D

I've the transaxle for mine, just no tracks.... Look forward to seeing your solution james

diggerjames

Sorry mark didn't know you was doing one

I was toying around with the idea of Mini digger tracks the same I use on my own diggers but I think I'm going to make them out of 25 mm Channel section . And use the rear wheels as sprockets I think or I may make some up the hardest thing to do is the independent brakes which I've Sussed out I've got an old quad and I'm going to use the front brake hubs for that , I think ?

James

chris sutton

You need to look at our sister forum and look at my Trachorse build for some ideas, happy to help with any questions 

diggerjames

Wow CHRIS what a great build il definitely use some of your ideas . I think I'm going have a go at making my own tracks :)

Cheers James

• Like 1

chris sutton

I gave the tracks a lot of thought, I went with the rubber ones as they don't chew up the drive and patio or the garage/shed floor. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

Stigian

Sounds like a great plan James, I will be watching with interest...

A thought about the drive system.  I used two Wh hydro trans'sss on my 6x6 to drive each side independently...  It could work for you and keeps with your "using as much Wh bits as you can" thinking.

diggerjames

Hi Ian welcome to my thread

I was hoping to maintain the original gearbox and either make a pair of drive sprockets out of the rims , I've seen a guy on you tube make them with huge success . Or a might buy a pair of sprockets similar which goes on my mini diggers but I want to keep as much as the original machine together and keep its character etc . I've already got a plan for the tracks pictures to come this week hopefully !

Cheers James

Stigian

Hi James, I'm guessing the YouTube guy is snowmangsx1100 and his Cadet style build?    

I did try brake steering on my 6x6 before going the 2 trans route, I found the brakes were just not up to the job of turning such a heavy machine.... But maybe I built it a bit of the heavy side :D

• Like 1

ol550

There are a lot of good ideas on Massey's mini dozer thread.

post-244-0-51897100-1399898244.jpg

• Heart 1

rexman72

that looks like a beast of a machine

Kwa1ski

That dozer is sweet! *Goes to check out thread*

AMC RULES

Another one of my all time favorites...

here's Massey's dozer thread.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Edited by AMC RULES

meadowfield

James,  a few of my thoughts - I'll be meeting you in a few weeks and we can chew the cud more :D

Firstly Masseys machine is awesome, the time and effort on the tracks alone is just nuts!

I've spent a lot of time thinking - as you do... Rubber tracks as Chris says are the easiest, especially if you can get the undercarriage from a mini digger or tracked dumper. As cool as that is I like the challenge of making it look part of/or as close to what a wheel horse would be.

So making tracks kinda works in the spirit of things. There are a few ways I've pondered over:

1) Use the outer of a tyre - possibly a chevron pattern and cut the sidewall and bead off. Then use double rollers and possibly a rubber tyre to drive on the inside.

2) Use chains and weld plates/pads onto them.

3) Use a rubber belting and bolt channel or angle onto it - similar to a piste basher/ski slope groomer. The rear sprocket cogs off the channel section quite easily.

mootube is full of inspration, there are so many homebrew attempts - some really poor (but functional) and others that are genius (like Massey)

I've got the chassis and a ZTR transxle all ready - just the tracks I need, but..... I've got bendy to finish before I tackle this one :D

re: the steering brakes, Ians machine suffered massively because of the friction of 6 wheels digging in. It always wanted to go in a straight line !!!!  If the centre wheels had been an inch or so lower it would have pivoted better. Depending on your choice of tracks then flat plate with simple cleats allow slewing quite elegantly - they just leave nice patterns when you turn. Massey again has the right idea by running the trans slightly faster and sub gearing from the hub to the rear drive there is less torque(more speed) and it's easier to stop a wheel.

You could actually run the rear drive from the hub directly but add a geared up drive to the discs and run them remotely. That works well - some tractors (well most modern ones)  run the brakes inboard before the final epicyclic drive where there is less torque and they can be made smaller and compact.

My ZTR transxle actually runs all the clutch and drive at engine speed and has a massive reduction gear to the wheels.

As you can tell - I've spent a lot of time on this one  :happy-partydance: 

Kwa1ski

Thanks Mr. Craig.

Edited by Kwa1ski
  • Like 1

doug ward
On 5/12/2014 at 8:59 AM, rexman72 said:

that looks like a beast of a machine

looks strong!

doug ward

is the massey mini dozer for sale!!