the_nite_owl

Paint suggestions for front end loader bucket?

the_nite_owl

I have stripped and repainted the tractor and am now working on the front end loader.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to get a good tough paint surface that will stand up to the uses of the FEL without chipping/wearing off in the first two weeks of use?

Thanks.

mrc

not cheap but, powder coat is very durable.  mike in mass.

bmsgaffer

I think on loader duty there is nothing that will hold up.

On construction equipment they get painted to hold the rust off until they use them. When it starts to rust, use it more :) you'll get it back to shiny steel.

If you go long times between use just clean it off real good, wipe down with mineral spirits and throw some rattle can paint on it to hold off rust. So, in that respect, paint it with something that is easily matched with a rattle can. As soon as it gets heavy use again it will wear off.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Leave it bare, anything else you are wasting your time and money it will not hold up.  If you are not using it for a period spray the inside and bottom of the bucket with WD-40

• Like 1

squonk

I painted my Power King Bucket and weight box Rustoleum black. Of course using it tore things up some. I resprayed it to make it presentable for a few shows. Now I just leave it and hit it with WD

boovuc

Like Squonk and others say, if they are used, it doesn't matter what you paint them with, it's coming off or it's under a bunch of mud.

When mine really looks ratty, I wire brush it and paint the inside with cheap black spray paint and the outside with whatever matches the rest of the frame. In my case, Sunrise Red.

the_nite_owl

not cheap but, powder coat is very durable.  mike in mass.

I like poweder coating but even that would chip and peel I think.  I could powder coat it myself if I could make myself a large enough oven but this is a good sized bucket.  I keep telling myself I will build a powder coating oven to do an antique motorcycle frame but I think that project is stll a few years off.

the_nite_owl

So pretty much nothing will hold up but what can I use that will hold up the best?
My thought is the tougher the paint the less of it will peel or chip off leaving less exposed metal to rust until it is taken care of.

I wonder if ceramic paints would hold up better.   At least I will make it look good for a brief period.  :)

leeave96

Believe it or not - I've had good luck with just plain Rust-o-leum.  I think the key is a clean surface and primer.  Sure where the thing (in my case a potato plow) meets the dirt, the paint will scrape off to a degree, but overall have been very surprised as how well the paint has held-up.

seuadr

Por15 gets really hard after it cures. I wonder if that might hold up?

Edited by seuadr

MalMac

Two ways of looking at painting the bucket. If you want it to look all nice and pretty, then by all means paint it. Use just regular ol' paint, because the first time you use it your going to mess it up. Using high dollar paint or what ever is just a waste of money.

Now if you use the loader you want to get it to wear the paint off and get it all nice and shiny. Just like if you were out plowing and turning over dirt with a plow. You want the plow to be shiny as a new nickle. Dirt will slide out of your bucket a whole lot better if it has nothing to stick to. Just like the plow will turn dirt over way better if it's shiny. Once you get it shiny you want to keep it that way. When not in use for long periods of time just wipe it down with a oil coverd cloth to keep it from rusting. Nothing worst than dumping dirt or whatever and having a whole bunch cling to the bucket. All your doing is wasting gas and time plus putting more wear and tear on your equipment trying to get it to dump. But if you want to keep it all Red and pretty then by all means paint it. Unfortunaly this is one of those pieces of equipment that you really can not have it both ways.

• Like 1

Forest Road

Powder coating would just be a waste of money. If you're going to use it like a loader.

If you want a quality paint and primer go to an Autobody supply or heavy equipment dealer. You won't find anything at Home Depot, TSC, etc that'll compare. Get a quality epoxy primer and cover it with some quality paint. Keep in mind red is the most expensive paint to mix. There are more tints in red than just about any other "normal" color.

If you just want to keep it from collecting rust. Go ahead and spray some rustoleum farm and implement primer and paint.

Regardless of what paint you use the bucket is going to get scraped clean.

Tankman

Just keep it clean when not being used.

Cheap spray paint and oil on occasion. You could ship it to me and I'll keep it clean 'n dry when I'm not movin' stone 'n dirt.   :laughing-rofl:

stevebo

Paint it Rusto Glos  Black. Easy to repaint 

joel_400

The bucket for my loader was so rusted it wasnt usable. Now it has a stainless bucket, looks awesome, and doesnt need paint.

Joel

Digger 66

Now it has a stainless bucket

:bow-blue:  Let's see it !  :bow-blue:

bmsgaffer

:text-yeahthat:  That's one way to solve the paint problem!