cyclist

Just bought my first Wheel Horse...a 502!

cyclist

A fine gentleman a couple of miles down the road had 3 for sale in his front yard since last spring. The number kept diminishing from 3 to 2 to just this one last fall. Poor thing sat out there all winter long, but it was the one I had my eye on all along. It reminded me of the one I learned to drive on at my Grandpa's nearly 40 years ago. Pa sold it one day and bought a newer WH. But I always liked that older model better.

I road my bicycle past it for a year. The grass is finally growing here and we have the yard all trimmed up and the flowers planted today. We got finished and my 10 year old son and I drove down to take a closer look. I had the itch. He told me all about the history of it and how he came to own 3 WH's. This one was bought with a snow blower, but it quickly sold last spring. There is no battery in it, needs a belt to activate the deck and has had the motor replaced many years before. Like prior to him buying it 15+ years ago. It has a Briggs n Stratton 8 hp. The hood was stretched to accommodate the larger motor, but it was done nicely. He said several collectors had been eying it, I told him I was no collector. I planned to work it. He said he thought it was worth $200, I offered $100 and denied his counter. I walked away with the key, hope she will run. He said it ran for about 30 seconds at a time and would die last year. He took apart the carburetor, found it all bunked up, cleaned it up, but said it never ran after that.

So what do you think?? A good buy? Any suggestions on preparations for getting her running? I'm no mechanic, but am mechanically inclined.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Great story, can't wait to see it. :handgestures-thumbsup:

:wwp:  :WRS:

Jake Kuhn

:WRS:

rexman72

welcome to the group and everyone loves pics

Sparky

Mike...........

Desko

It'll run the carb just needs readjusted and cleaned again.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

:WRS: , and :wwp:

cyclist

It'll run the carb just needs readjusted and cleaned again.

Thanks for the feedback! Definitely appreciated. I hope to get'r home tomorrow and will try and post some pictures soon.

What oil and weight do you recommend? Anything special about the type of battery I need to buy for the 8hp Briggs? Did a quick search yesterday and didn't find much. Hoping Interstate Battery will know what is needed.

HorseFixer

~Duke  :wh: 

C-101plowerpower

Thanks for the feedback! Definitely appreciated. I hope to get'r home tomorrow and will try and post some pictures soon.

What oil and weight do you recommend? Anything special about the type of battery I need to buy for the 8hp Briggs? Did a quick search yesterday and didn't find much. Hoping Interstate Battery will know what is needed.

first of welcom to :rs:  for the battery any 12v will do really, i have a small car battery in mine and it works just fine

Koen

Desko

30w oil will be for summer use and 10w-30 is for winter use.

Amanda

Welcome to red square!!

cyclist

I pulled her home last night, how's she look?

post-12987-0-64350100-1399727285_thumb.j

post-12987-0-20197900-1399727335_thumb.j

post-12987-0-40507300-1399727377_thumb.j

post-12987-0-44875700-1399727414_thumb.j

cyclist

post-12987-0-21771000-1399727560_thumb.j

post-12987-0-86759000-1399727583_thumb.j

I've noticed after just 15 minutes of toying around with it that bearings built in 1962, certainly are durable. I got the idler pulley freed up and spinning like a top. Seems to feel like new and have little play in it. I am going to enjoy tearing her down and cleaning her up. I want to a closer look at the grease points on top of the deck and change all the fluids. I think I'll exchange the battery for a larger 12v that better fits the tray.

wallfish

That's a shame someone cut the hood for a larger Briggs engine although I've seen much worse hood chops than that one. An 8 hp Kohler would've fit without modifying the hood.

You did very good for what you paid and it should look nice once it's cleaned up a bit.

cyclist

It looks like they would have had to of taken 2 matching hoods to stretch it out. It is a shame though. I like the proportions from a far, but not the fact it was cut. It appears they were also having problems with the original fuel tank in the dash leaking. If I later take that apart, do you think the tank could be resealed effectively? It must have leaking along a seam at the base of dash.

wallfish

Those tanks are notorious for leaking. Yes you can separate the tank and reseal it but you may have the problem of the bolts breaking off.

buckrancher

the tractor should have the one piece tank looks like someone changed it over to the two piece type

oh and welcome to :rs:

Brian

jackhammer

Glad for your buy . Welcome to RedSquare

cyclist

I got the carb torn down and cleaned up well. Found the jet plugged at the neck near the needle valve. The motor oil is changed with 30 weigh non detergent. The gear box oil looked pretty clean, but likely to change it soon. Should I use the same 30 weight ND in it, as the motor? I put a new plug in it. I'm reading up on the throttle linkage, just seems to not be quite right.

Also, can anyone tell me what size belt drives the mower deck? Specifically, the smallest belt that goes from the motor to the deck.

cyclist

I got it running a couple of weeks ago. It was trying to flood itself and wouldn't idle down. Straightened the linkage between the governor arm and the carb. That made all the difference in the world. Leveled the deck, changed a belt and mowed 30 ft. It got bogged down and died. Only other problem is the clutch is OUT. Non existent. I had to get it rolling to throw it in gear. So if it got bogged down off pavement, I'd be toast.

Can anybody give me direction on changing out the clutch or what the needed repair there would be?

Thanks!

slammer302

Its probably a belt length problem if the belt is two tight you won't be able to get it in gear if it is two lose it will go in gear but it won't pull its self its a fine line on belt lengths

cyclist

Its probably a belt length problem if the belt is two tight you won't be able to get it in gear if it is two lose it will go in gear but it won't pull its self its a fine line on belt lengths

I start it, push in the brake pedal, which as I understand is also engaging a clutch and it's just grinding gears if I were to force it. If I give it a push and jump on, then it easily falls into gear.

Where is the clutch located? Do they require replacement?

slammer302

A wheel horse does not have a clutch like a car its just a pulley that moves forward to allow slack in the belt so it free spins on the motor pulley and there really not much you can do to adjust it I would say ur belt may be a little short you can try to loosen the nut on the brake adjusting rod it might let the clutch pedal move more

cyclist

A wheel horse does not have a clutch like a car its just a pulley that moves forward to allow slack in the belt so it free spins on the motor pulley and there really not much you can do to adjust it I would say ur belt may be a little short you can try to loosen the nut on the brake adjusting rod it might let the clutch pedal move more

Thank you Slammer302! Your description made the link below come to life. It's been a lot of fun adjusting and tweaking this tractor. Such a simple, serviceable unit. It's giving me a much better handle on the mechanics of a carburetor engine and this chassis.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/download/746-tractor-1958-1964-round-hoods-part-2-a-7136pdf/

The process continues!

Thanks to all that have replied.

Edited by cyclist