Uncle Buck

Tire question

Uncle Buck

I have an observation about one of the original WH tire options back in the day. One of the rear tire designs that to my knowledge was a WH offering was a design known as a "Turf Tire" which to me reminds me of old airplane tires on WWII bombers and the like. The turf tires are very round in design across the face of the tread where the face rolls over to the sidewall. Also, the tread design literally looks like round shaped knots all over the surface of the tire, except for the sidewall. I have a set of these tires on the back of my 633.

I suspect this tire design was offered on Suburban's or possibly machines that are older still. The set on my 633 were not on it when I bought the tractor. I got them from another WH collector with many very early WH nut roasters and Suburban's in his collection. I know he removed them from one of his old horses because he had a rack full of good original takeoffs since he equipped all of his rebuilds with ags on the rear and tri ribs on the front.

I think most everything that followed the nut roasters and Suburban's were setup with either ags, or the tires that look like snow tires so common to the short frames and others of those years. 

My curiosity is this. In all of the pictures of WH tractors I have seen on this site I don't ever recall seeing a tractor equipped with the "Turf Tires" I described above. I understand everyone's preference for tri ribs and ags, I prefer that setup myself, however it does seem odd that I have never seen other tractors shown here equipped with that tread design.

So the question is, are those type tires just that despised, or what? Granted, they are not as cool looking as a nice set of ags, but they do have a certain vintage look that is also quite nice if you ask me. So, what says you WH GURUS here to this?????

Uncle Buck

Please remove this topic. It must be too poorly written for anyone to understand because no one has commented on it so I guess no one even knew what I was talking about.

Lane Ranger

A picture would help!

Hodge71

I'm a fan of turf tires..The only thing an Ag tire can do better than a turf as far as I'm concerned is pull ground engaging implements....Plows, cultivator, disc harrow etc. Other than that, turfs are the way to go for plowing snow, better on the grass for mowing, especially on soft ground...I also have a few sets of BF Goodrich Silvertown turfs on my nut roasters......

• Like 1

chazm

:text-yeahthat:     also Buck, you posted this last night @ 11pm & want to delete it at 7 am today :confusion-shrug:  Like myself most of us where... :sleeping-yellow:

More will chime in especially if you got a pic of the tires...  :handgestures-thumbupright:

ol550

Is this the tire?  One reason for there lack of use would have been cost. 

post-244-0-96363000-1395663315_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

pacer

I can remember those on airplanes, seemed to be pretty popular (oops, does that show my age?) and always thought they were pretty cool looking. I think a set on a 'yard chore' tractor would be great.

550, do you remember the cost of them?

WH nut

Ok I will make a comment if that will keep you happy.

• Like 1

Uncle Buck

Ok I will make a comment if that will keep you happy.

That made my day complete! LOL :)

attachicon.gifPicture 001.jpg

Thank you for posting the pic. Yes, those are exactly the kind of tires I was talking about.

I didn't realize those tires were costly.

Edited by Uncle Buck

47JDG

Most IH Cub Lo-Boy tractors that I have seen have had that style of tread on them. It's quite common on them, but not so much for a smaller garden tractor.

post-8921-0-92609800-1395672524.jpg

post-8921-0-24260000-1395672532.jpg

dandan111

What brand are those tires? I have a set of good year 6-12 turf tires. More square than yours. I like them. They may not look cool but my skinny turf tires with wore down v-chains have some real bite on concrete for snow plowing. I get more traction than my tecumseh 6hp can handle. Mine are good year lawn and garden. The picture is distorted but they are 6-12.

post-2453-0-77747300-1395674826.jpg

Uncle Buck

attachicon.gifPicture 001.jpg

The ones above are BF Goodrich Silvertown Turf Tires. They do have a very vintage and dated look to them that I really like, quite distinctive for sure.

What brand are those tires? I have a set of good year 6-12 turf tires. More square than yours. I like them. They may not look cool but my skinny turf tires with wore down v-chains have some real bite on concrete for snow plowing. I get more traction than my tecumseh 6hp can handle. Mine are good year lawn and garden. The picture is distorted but they are 6-12.

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

I think Miller Tire still sells a tire like that....Wayne

Uncle Buck

I think Miller Tire still sells a tire like that....Wayne

Ya it looks like that. I started the thread because I wondered if other guys were running these tires since I never seemed to see them on any of the tractors in the pictures on the website.