Sign in to follow this  
andrewl

Right belt size

andrewl

My 1986 312-8 (21-12K802)has a realy old belt thats slipping bad. Right now there's a 1/2" belt on there, but all I can find is 5/8" sizes in my shop manual and online references. Is it suppose to have a larger belt on there?

Thanks!

Andrew

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Hodge71

Wheel Horse belts are between A and B in profile. Which if I remember correctly makes them a bit bigger than 1/2 and smaller than 5/8. I never use anything but OEM. Its what fits the pulleys best. I have tried the cheap route and speaking from experience, don't waste your time. Get yourself the proper Toro belt; pay the couple extra bucks and never worry about it slipping or galling. Theres a reason they're the best!! 

Edited by hodge71
  • Like 1

andrewl

Btw this is for my drive belt.

andrewl

Ok so it says 5/8" but that would mean it's slightly smaller. I couldn't imagine that the manual would be wrong, It probably has a non OEM bely that makes it smaller I guess. Thanks!

can whlvr

I recommend that you get an oem from the dealer,part number 7473

• Like 1

daveoman1966

HODGE 71 is right on the money.  Get the 7473 OEM belt and be done with it.  If you buy an aftermarket belt, it wil NOT precisely fit the contour of the V pulleys, giving rise to belt slip which results in burn-out and premature belt failure.  Whats more, the aftermarket belt will ride the V pulley a little bit higher, or lower, either of which will cause malfunction in clutch linkage / engagement.  

I have a 1972 Bromco 14 that I bought new in 1973.   It has drive belt # 7478 and, sadly, I had to replace it 3 years ago...for the FIRST TIME.   That belt cost me $35 and I expect it to last another 38 years.  I can't even imagine an aftermarket belt with that kind of longevity.    

• Like 2

andrewl

I ordered a 7473 last night, the only thing I was confused about was that on partstree, it had 7473, but toro had 2 other p/n's that were different sizes. Anyway, I imagine this it the right one. Also, will this same belt work on my 1986 312-8?

Thanks!

andrewl

Haha sorry I ordered one for my c-145 last night, so it will work on the 312. Thank y'all!