Lane Ranger

Road Trip to Oklahoma for a 1958 RJ and 5 Attachments

Lane Ranger
[

My brother David Ralph and I just got back from Fairland, Oklahoma on a Wheel Horse Road Trip.    About 7 1/2 to 8 hours from Greencastle, Indiana to Fairland, Oklahoma.     We went to pick up Wheel Horse RJ  that had been owned by one man for 60 years.  I was not sure about the tractor when I saw the first pictures of it sent by the seller but after I talked to him and saw that there were 5 implements with the tractor going at one price I had to really think about it.     I  paid for half of the cost in December when I learned about this being sold and told the seller I would have to wait for good weather to come and pick it up.     Friday, March 8th was 63 degrees in Fairland and it was about 50 degrees and sunny on the way thru Missouri Thursday.

I was very happy when I saw the tractor in person Friday morning.  Some dents and weld spots on the hood, but good, clean gasoline tank,  original motor -K-90 ,  Schnacke Recoil in great working order, pancake muffler in good shape,  original belt guard in great condition,  original belt guide for 32 inch cutter bar belt,  good seat and spring  (seat not cracked anywhere) and five pretty good implements.  A CBR-32 inch cutter bar (with all original parts),  a LT-24  dump cart, a cultivator, and 8 inch garden plow, and  a spiked tooth harrow.   Front tires don't match and not good -wheels good.   Rear wheels good and no rear tires.    We also stopped at a friends in Illinois and bought two more rear tires and wheels to use on the RJ and another cultivator.

I will post some photos.    I am not planning on doing much to this tractor but tune up motor, new belt, points, and tires.   May paint wheels for added life!

The new bridge on I-70 into downtown St. Louis

post-339-0-38797500-1394318772_thumb.jpg

The St. Louis  Gateway Arch:

post-339-0-09109700-1394318812_thumb.jpg

Stopped and Visited with A Red Square member's  nephew in Wyandotte, Ok  -just east of Fairland:

post-339-0-63209500-1394318841_thumb.jpg

The RJ sellers Place on Grand Lake in Fairland , Oklahoma:

post-339-0-78039100-1394318918_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-06673500-1394318965_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-49798300-1394318983_thumb.jpg

Loading the RJ up:

post-339-0-46334000-1394319061_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-11164600-1394319189_thumb.jpg

Some of the implement photos:

post-339-0-53356700-1394319407_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-81034200-1394319477_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-64731600-1394319491_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-13412700-1394319508_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-21574200-1394319456_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-19974500-1394318719_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-50715000-1394319109_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-96739100-1394319382_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 7

ol550

Did you wave as you went by? 

• Like 4

Lane Ranger

We had numbers for  five of six people in MO  we wanted to seek out -we just did not have the time!

KC9KAS

Wow Lane, you hit the jackpot!

I did get a little dizzy looking at some of the photos! :ychain:

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Ken, My  I phone application somehow gets turned in Red Square!

Edited by Lane Ranger

bowtieguy

Looks like your truck is only "half full".....fifteen minutes and I could have overloaded it for ya....you better plan on another trip "west of the big ole Mississippi!"

PS...better bring a bigger truck ...mabe even a trailer if Ol550 will turn loose some of his stuff!!!

PSS...nice haul.

• Like 2

dclarke

Looks like it was well worth the trip, Lane.   :thumbs:  Be sure to post more pics when you get the chance.

• Like 2

Jake Kuhn

Very nice haul lane! Looks like a nice tractor...and some very hard to find attachments!  :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 2

Terry M

Hey Lane :greetings-waveyellow: â€¦..Looks like you picked up some really neat stuff :handgestures-thumbupright: .   I've always enjoyed the excitement of road tripping for a tractors and tractor parts….Looks like it was a fun trip!!! :)  :flags-waveusa:

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Already have the flywheel off the motor - it has a new coil and condenser but it is not getting spark.   Magnets do not look as good as they should.  My brother usually handles the motors.  

neil

Has Christmas arrived again already

What a gift :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

• Like 2

WH nut

Greencastle.   Born and Raised there. Moved away in 1978 when I Joined the Air Force.

• Like 1

rexman72

great score thanks for sharing the pics

• Like 1

Coadster32

cool road trip and score!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

wh500special

Wow Lane, that's a lot of stuff.  You went right by me. If I knew you were comin' I might have been able to load you up too!

Nice bridge, eh?  They just opened it about a month ago.

It's amazing the lengths we'll go for these tractors.

Steve

• Like 3

Lane Ranger

post-339-0-48230600-1394391224_thumb.jpg

Steve :  The new bridge is nice.   The old bridge route going into Alton was a mess on Friday afternoon as we hit rush hour traffic!     We had a little more room and I was thinking you were  not far away  from where we were.   I see now where you get all you stuff!  That route to Jerseyville is filled with guys who buy, sell collect and store  lawn tractors!

post-339-0-80466000-1394391249_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-81311400-1394391293_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-92412700-1394391269_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Ken B

I agree, awesome road trip and nice RJ! I don't mind a nice long road trip for a tractor. My round trip limit I set for myself is a 10hr. road trip for a tractor I can't possibly live another moment without. All I need is some good 70's rock on the radio, a CD of Waylon Jennings, Johny Cash and a few good cigars....I was interested in a nice single stage snow thrower a few weeks ago but I couldn't get into the 5hr road trip. Different rules for attachments I suppose..

• Like 2

wh500special

Wow, you got even closer to my stuff...

Most all of my junkpile is in dad's polebarn in Alton.  Had you headed up the hill just a couple of miles you'd have been there.

The cable stay bridge at Alton is a beauty.  PBS did a Nova special about its construction back around 94 or so.  I think they called it "Superbridge".  I went to the dedication which was in the middle of winter on one of the worst days I can remember for weather.  Cold and windy!  Can't imagine what it would be like to have to had work on the thing in that weather. 

That's the Clark Bridge by the way.  You also crossed the Lewis bridge when you went over the Mighty Missouri at West Alton.  I suppose you can guess the famous duo for whom the bridges are named.

It looks like you took the river road out of Alton towards Jerseyville.  Did you see any eagles?  There's a glut of them this year for some reason.  Yesterday my wife took the kids up to Grafton, IL and stopped counting at 50 separate Bald Eagles.

Next time you're in southern IL be sure to send me a note!

Steve

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 3

oneroadkingman

yes it sure is a beautiful bridge. especially at night when its lit up. I remember the old one having to Cross it semi that was fun..

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I had my Waylon Brother--- Ken -and he is very 70's!

Steve:  We saw no eagles but  enjoyed going on the river road!

Edited by Lane Ranger