rustykan

B-80 will not stay in 3rd gear

rustykan

I'm looking at purchasing a b-80 that will not stay in 3rd gear. Is this a major fix? Thanks in advance!

rmaynard

:WRS:  Is this B-80 a 4-speed or 8-speed?

rustykan

I believe it is the 4 speed, but not certain. It does not give that info in the listing, but it does not look like it has the extra lever for the hi-lo range.

rmaynard

Take a look at this thread on the same subject. Different model, same basic transmissions. 

I any case, the B-80 is a good tractor, and there are lots of good used transmission parts available should you need to rebuild it.

What is the asking price of the B-80? That may determine how much effort want to put into it.

rustykan

They are asking $400 and it also burns oil along with the shifting problem. It has a snow plow, mower deck, wheel weights and chains.

rustykan

I'm just looking to use it for plowing snow and maybe moving a two horse trailer around in our driveway. It won't be used for mowing any grass. So I'm not even sure if the third gear is really going to be something I would even worry about, but I would like to know what the problem might be.

rmaynard

With a bad transmission and an oil burner, I would not offer more than $100.00 for the B-80 4-speed. The snow plow, if it is in good shape, and the rear mounting hitch is there, could add another $75.00. The weights, if genuine Wheel Horse might add $50.00 and the chains maybe $20.00. So, in my humble opinion, I would not start off offering any more than $200.00. It would have to look pretty good to offer more than that.

Edited by rmaynard

rustykan

How much would the 42" side discharge deck be worth? He said it has one rust through hole. According to the ad, he is not going to budge on the price.

rustykan

This is the only photo posted, he is going to send me some more.

00G0G_c12O5MwuJtg_600x450.jpg

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square. :)  In the picture below, I am holding the 2nd & 3rd fork gear.  The gear turns over and fits on the bottom fork.  It then aligns with the the input shaft gear...the top of that gear is visible in the trans.  When you shift into 3rd gear, the fork gear slides down and sits on top of the input shaft gear. When either the teeth on the inside of the fork gear, and/or the teeth on the input shaft are worn the fork gear will pop up off the input gear...usually when under load.  That is what is going on in the horse you are looking at.  It is an easy fix, but the worn gear needs to be replaced.  :)

2012_0115Jakes40016.jpg

It looks like you have the 4 speed trans.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

can whlvr

as far as not needing 3rd for snow,ive been plowing for 20 some years and that's the gear most used,momentum is crucial when snow plowing,and it wind rows better also,i agree 400 seems steep for a tractor that might need a tranny and motor rebuild

WH nut

How much would the 42" side discharge deck be worth? He said it has one rust through hole. According to the ad, he is not going to budge on the price.

If he wont budge it sounds like he will own the tractor for a long time. I agree, 200 dollar tractor tops.

pfrederi

Lets see, engine burns oil...deck rusted through in one spot (means there are probably more ready to break through.... something wrong with a  usually tough reliable tranny.  Either this unit has been worked very long and very hard or it was abused/neglected.  Oil not changed = oil burning later in life, tranny problem could be because there was water in the tranny or somebody ground gears a lot.  Bottom line at that price he can keep it....

• Like 4

rustykan

Thanks for all the advice! I think I will keep looking. Should I be looking for something bigger than the 8 or 10 HP for pushing snow?

rmaynard

I plow my snow with a 10 hp B-100 8-speed. Plenty of power for me.

stevasaurus

I have a 7hsp Kohler (702)...8 hsp Kohler (857)...10 hsp Kohler (B-100)...they all do a great job on snow...plenty of power.  :)  and we are close to record snows this year...used the 857 for the last half of the winter.

Edited by stevasaurus

rustykan

Anyone have any leads on anything in the Central, Western Pennsylvania and Central, Eastern Ohio areas???

stevasaurus

Are you talking shows??  Always some good deals at the Big Show in June...horses for sale there also.  :)

rustykan

When and where is the show?

pfrederi

When it comes to plowing I have never had a HP issue...traction is what it is all about.  My L-107 (6hp) runs out of traction long before the engine stalls.

My 12 hp Electro 12 with almost 200 lbs of weights plus me  and chains and limited slip differential will sort of make the governor kick in...but I never stalled her.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

click on the link above...it is in the shows and events section...pictures of past shows in the pictures section...main page.  :)

rustykan

My most recent find is below and would like to get your opinions. Believe it is a C-81, 8 speed with recently overhauled engine and supposedly in excellent condition, which it looks like it is. They are asking $725 and when it was listed last time, I offered $500 and it was turned down. It is listed again with a best offer available. It comes with a snow plow. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

$_12.JPG

Edited by rustykan

bmsgaffer

That does look like a good tractor. I personally would try the $500 again, probably $600 max for me. It doesn't have the mower deck?

It looks like it may have been painted and has a new seat, so if you can look at it and run it in person that would be best (to make sure the paint job is worth what they are asking, if that is in original shape thats even better yet). Check the oil, for smoke, easy to start (even though it was a rebuild), drives well, etc.

So its worth it if its been done well, but sometimes pictures can be deceiving. Other than that the C series tractors are hard to beat for versatility and durability. The eight speed can make that 8hp do things you would never expect it to be able to do!

• Like 2

rustykan

Don't believe there is a mower deck. I just sent some questions to the owner. Photos aren't the greatest, but I'm thinking it might be original paint. Definitely doesn't look like one that has been stored outdoors, like a lot of the ones I've seen!

kudzu3

If that's original paint, it would be a good find although the price maybe a little high. Providing it is in good mechanical condition, I'd buy it, starting with a reasonable offer.