JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

CAN ENGINE NUMBER LEAD TO TRACTOR ID?

Desko

I could be mistaken also but my take on this is

the manual states with 7 digit serial #'s, and a serial beginning with "98", puts that one as a 1979?

Yes?  No?

Yes sir you are right I just go by past experience with Briggs and how their serial number read's

JackC

That is a nice Black Hood and a Black Hood collector might buy it for parts if nothing else. I don't refinish and instead I buy good parts from other tractors and swap parts.   Not sure how much storage you have but you could wind up cluttering your property up with too many machines. 

I would steer you towards a twin cylinder tractor like a C-175 Black Hood or a 520H.  I consider those the "muscle machines" of the brand with more power and smother running engines that fill up the engine compartment.  Here is 1980 C-175 hydro that I paid $450 for. It was a rust bucket but had a nice running KT17 Series II and the hydro worked beautifully.  I then replaced the hood, fender, seat, belt covers, wheels, engine tins, and air cleaner with nicer parts from other tractors. 

Before:

After with more upgrades to do like the dash tower:

Edited by JackC
  • Like 1

tunahead72

I don't believe a C-105 would have come from the factory with a 48" deck, although it certainly could have been mounted later. Check the height adjustment lever. If it's on the left side as you sit in the seat, it's a 48". On the right, it's a 42". Assuming it's one of those two and not something smaller.