JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

CAN ENGINE NUMBER LEAD TO TRACTOR ID?

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Looking at a tractor the fella doesn't know about. It's a C 105 eight speed.
Kohler engine
Model No. K482S
SPEC NO. 480
Serial number. 9859742  its the year has me stumped?

And as all ways. Thanks

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

Hodge71

How did he fit a K482 where there should be a K 241? I would love to see how he fit  horizontally opposed twin 18 HP in the same space as a vertical single 10 HP. Please post pics of this swap

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hodge. Your right its a K 241AS

My mistake. Will have pics up shortly. Never saw it yet. In the horse flesh.

Glenn

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
post-12073-0-73200500-1394165377_thumb.jpost-12073-0-20133800-1394165428_thumb.jpost-12073-0-26470600-1394165493_thumb.j
  • Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

post-12073-0-61224600-1394165569_thumb.jpost-12073-0-26137600-1394165612_thumb.j

What do you guys think?

Glenn

Save Old Iron

Download the Kohler engine service manual. First few pages will solve the mystery of the serial number.

I could tell you but you would miss out on the fun of discovery.

Hint ... a 7 digit number is significant to how you ID the year.

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

then a little detective work

does the engine HP match the decals on the hood?

does the engine year match the production years of the tractor it is mounted on?

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hey old iron. Thanks. Great lesson. From what I see a 1979. I don't know what else jives with what. Your right. Fun!

Glenn

Save Old Iron

Now download the WH ID list from the manuals section

Then see if your engine / tractor combo is legit for the time frame of your engine serial #.

Don't worry if the engine is 1 year "older" than the tractor. Your tractor may have gone down the assembly line in Jan that year and mated up with a K engine built a month earlier (the previous year but only 30 days before the tractor build).

Check the Serial ID tag on the tractor too. Compare it to the WH ID list.

These are great tools to take along with you on your next tractor hunt.

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

old iron, your right again. when further checking I found like you said. the engine number says 1979 but that doesnt jive with tractor data years of production. I sure wish I had that serial plate number to, going to have to ask for a pic on it. also the owner says he has a 48 inch deck with that. ?.....doesnt seem correct. But thank you once again for pointing me in a direction.

Glenn

Save Old Iron

look on the ID sheet for a C105 in the year 1980.

It's there - so the 1979 K may have been fitted to the 1980 model year C105 at the beginning of 1980.

I would say all the info dovetails together. :teasing-signhere:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

who wants to try and value this tractor? I only have those pics and was told, no smoke, no noise, everything works a hundred percent as it should, there is a cutting deck, no pics. looks fairly clean.

Glenn

Save Old Iron

with a solid 48" deck (which may be a little big for 10HP, high wet grass, etc)

I would say $400 - $500

Tires look good but check for cracks and dry rot. Looks darn nice for a 34 year old tractor. Check the deck closely for rough spindles and weak spots / rust thru.

Hodge71

Glad you figured it out. I would pay 500 for it all day if the deck is in good shape. I have been looking for a black hood for awhile now. I was never a big fan of them but I fell in love...lol...I'm dying to find a C-165-or 175 to make a snow plow or tiller tractor out of. That 105 is very choice specimen and I would have scobbed it up by now!!!

dennist

Overall I think it is a nice clean looking tractor. Price is always difficult as to want/need/location/etc.

Sparky

If the deck is a 48"er and is in graet shape thats an easy $500 machine once the grass starts growing. The 10hp is a bit small for a 48" deck in my opinion, especially if the grass is wet or gets a bit high. A 42" deck is perfect for that machine.

Mike.......

Desko

IMO the way I'm reading that serial number it should be a 1974 but I could be wrong.

JackC

It looks amazingly clean from the pictures.  It looks like a great example of a black hood with the large plastic fender.  If there are no visible cracks on the outer portions of the fender look for cracks under the seat where the fender mounts to the seat support.  It is very rare to find a plastic fender with no cracks.  If it is as good as it looks, I would pay $500 in a heart beat.  The cleaner they are the less time and money you have to spend bringing them back to like new condition.  I collect the C-175 black hood hydros.

I paid $600 for this 1983 C-175 hydro with only 278 hours on it but I paid a friend over $1,000 to go out to Indiana to bring it home on the back of his pickup truck.  I am in Massachusetts and I did not have the time to go out myself and I did not want to take a chance having it shipped and a black hood in that condition is hard to find.

Edited by JackC

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:   That is a sweet looking "Black Hood". The rear ags look realy heavy duty.

Sparky has a valid point about deck size. I run a 483 (48") deck on one of my 953s and prefer to mow with it. But, if I must mow when the grass is wet or have been away for a couple of weeks the 953 needs to be put in first gear. So I go to the 312-8 with a 42" deck, much faster under those conditions.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

post-12073-0-76530500-1394254036_thumb.j

Here's another pic. I have one more. Can't load it. Shows a small crack dead center in the rear from the bottom of the pan to the decal. It does look clean.

Glenn

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

post-12073-0-53556600-1394254951_thumb.j

Ok. There's the crack. You guys have all made good comments. Might pass on it. Nice but don't think it is herd material for me.

Glenn

Btw. Jack you got a beauty. Thanks for that pic.

Save Old Iron

IMO the way I'm reading that serial number it should be a 1974 but I could be wrong.

I could be mistaken also but my take on this is

the manual states with 7 digit serial #'s, and a serial beginning with "98", puts that one as a 1979?

Yes?  No?

post-1689-0-20270800-1394257020_thumb.gi

Edited by Save Old Iron

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

old iron, my take was a 79 also, but that was the engine, in a 1980 tractor,  Imho.

fellas, what could be done with that crack in the plastic fender? anything?

Glenn

Save Old Iron

bouncing a fuel can off the skirt of the pan while refueling might do it

and simply backing up into something ... cracks plastic as opposed to bending / denting a metal pan

as to to 1979 engine in an 1980 tractor - no problems - WH put a mid to late in the year 1979 Kohler engine into an early in the year 1980 C105 tractor. I don't know when the new 1980's WH hit the show rooms. Don't let that worry be a deal breaker.

Sparky

fellas, what could be done with that crack in the plastic fender? anything?

Glenn

Do what most guys do and remove it and install a metal fender pan off a 300 series. They are a direct bolt on with no modifications to make, even the fuel tank hole is there. It looks much better that way and in 1984 the black hoods came with a metal pan so it never looks "cobbled". Both my black hoods have metal pans, one is a C-105 that I think is a 1980 like the one your looking at and my other is a 1984 C-165 which had the metal pan from the factory.

Mike...........