nws024

c 195 pto clutch

nws024

We have had our Wheel Horse for 5 years and we love it.  I believe the PTO clutch is gone, when engaging the belly mower the cone will stop spinning.  It will happen while at a standstill.  Anybody know where i can buy PTO clutch assembly?

Desko

It might not be bad just my need adjusted to apply more pressure to the disk as it has worn over the years. Correct me if I'm wrong but you have to screw it out to apply more pressure.

nws024

i am not sure, i definitely have not adjusted it. problem is it is at my parents house 5 hrs from here, so i cannot check it. I think it just clips in with that swinging arm? not sure i saw a screw adjustment.

Desko

The "screw adjustment" is the PTO arm and yes it does pin into the PTO pivot.

refracman

In the manual it describes on how to adjust the PTO, you will have to follow the directions closely to get it adjusted right.

If that doesn't work and it is worn out I would suggest converting it to the standard WH PTO clutch assmebly.

I have done a couple of these conversions, while not hard, you do need a couple of PTO parts from another Kohler twin to do it.

Edited by refracman

nws024

Is the manual on this site? so far i can't find it.

TT

gwest_ca

Here is the 1982-83 operator manual

Garry

baerpath

From another list

I had a similar problem recently, so I'll offer on other thing...

I think my was primarily out of adjustment, but once it got too hot, it glazed the clutch material. Even after I adjusted per the manual, it would still slip and subsequently not release.

I wound up roughing up the clutch material with some 200 grit sandpaper real well, and along with the previous adjustments, no problems since.

• Like 1

nws024

Thanks for the help, going to try to fix it this week.

nws024

there was no clutch material, metal to metal. i can upload pics if need be.  The adjustment was maxed.  There was also some wear on silver arm above pivot. Guess i have to replace the clutch.  I am not entirely sure how it worked, did the clutch material just float between pulleys? 

Hodge71

The friction material was glued in place on the face. If you look in the for sale section on the site here Mr. Fourspeed has a ton of C-195 parts for sale at some reasonable prices for how rare this particular tractor is. I believe he has 1 clutch...maybe 2 for sale...scoof them up before they go...Having 1 faced is far more expensive than buying good used