wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Which do you recommend a C series 8 speed or a D auto?

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Hi, I currently am looking at an older WH '74 D180 with the auto tranny.  I'm a bit weary as I am used to my 79' C-161 8 speed  4low/4hi.

Does any one have thoughts on what I should lookout for in an D180 auto?    Are they just as good or is this manual gear a safer bet?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks!

Jack

Edited by wheelhorse-c-161-1979

pfrederi

First , what are you wanting to use it for?  Mowing grass is not the Ds forte.  Implements are harder to find and pricier.  You want to mount a FEL then the D is the obvious choice.

Second if you want/need the D TEST it really TEST it.  Get it fully warmed up and see how it performs, put it up against an immovable object and see if it will spin the wheels on pavement.

daveoman1966

With the D series, you get hydraulic lift and that isn't an option on the 8-speed tractors, although an electric lift can be added to the C (& B) series tractors.  You'd soon learn to appreciated the hyd lift if / when you hook up a snow blower or rototiller, or even a dozer blade for that matter.  Hyd sure makes life lots easier.  The down-side is that the Sundstrand hydro units in the D of that vintage have been out there working for 40+ years and hyd wear-out should be expected.  These hyd pumps and separate hyd motors can be rebuilt, but not a simple task, expecially the D series.  I have rebuilt several of them over the years and now some parts are becoming scarce as hens teeth.  In any case, if you can, run the D for at least 20 minutes, under load, to 'proof' the hyd power motion.   If it seems to lose power when warmed up, be suspect that it is ready for an overhaul.      

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Well I'm looking at the D180 with ark 550 loader. It woks but the guy tells me that the o rings need to be changed about once a year.

Engine never rebuilt but runs good. I'm just worried about the auto trany which I know little about.

My '79 c161 works like a charm and also has a st4201 snow thrower.

Would the snow thrower run on the D180 via the PTO?

slammer302

If you don't mind rebuilding the trans on the d180 I would go for it because it sounds like its going to need it sooner or later the c160 is a great machine though

pfrederi

Well I'm looking at the D180 with ark 550 loader. It woks but the guy tells me that the o rings need to be changed about once a year.

Engine never rebuilt but runs good. I'm just worried about the auto trany which I know little about.

My '79 c161 works like a charm and also has a st4201 snow thrower.

Would the snow thrower run on the D180 via the PTO?

No to the snowblower D series attachments are different from C series. Even if you get a D series snow blower removing the FEL and putting the blower on is a time consuming switch.

What O rings is he talking about the ones in the Loader or in the tractors hydro system???

Hodge71

I dont really know much about loaders but I can speak from experience on the hydro tranny on the  series. If he is replacing the o-rings on the lines every year, theres something amiss somewhere. Those o-rings should never go bad every 12 months. Actually I can't figure out how they could go bad every 12 months, its an o-ring….anyway before I get sidetracked..lol…the D is a completely different beast compared to a C series. They weigh about 1300 pounds, where a c weighs 650 or so. Like Paul said, implements scarcer than C-series attachments but these tractors, when in good shape hydro wise, sure do work hard. I love how much I can push with my 18 Auto just with a dozer blade…not even a loader

Edited by hodge71

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

I do value all  of your great insight as I go through my Wheel Horse education bootcamp! 
I fully recognize I am a greenhorn in the red Wheel Horse world. But I'm a pretty fast learner and I love soaking up all this info :)

The C-161 I bought purely by chance cause I ran into an opportunity and seized it.  According to my wife it is "the second best thing I've done, besides  marrying her" LOL!

Now I'm just to get some basics on the D series and the D180 that I am ready to dive in to.

Jack
1979 C-161

1974 Gravely 408

1944 M1-Garand

1983 CJ-7

and other toys