Tractor lover

Wheel horse tractor

Tractor lover

I am looking at an older wheel horse tractor. I don't know anything about them,as they are new to me. It is a copper color, not red. Twelve horse Koehler with a hydrostatic transmission. It is currently not running, it turns over and has compression. Asking price is $300. Is that a fair price about what year would it be? I'm thinking 70s. Does it have any collector value? Thanks. Jim

rmaynard

:WRS:  Post some pictures, and try to find the tag with the model number. There's close to 2 dozen models with 12 hp hydros. Hard to guess what you might have.

Tractor lover

Thanks bob. I am looking at it on craigslist, I plan to go look at it as soon as the weather warms up a little. We started out today at minus 10 degrees.

Kelly

Welcome, and a nonrunning hydro for $300 to me is a bit high, no way to test the trans, or know if the engine is good, now if the tractor is in extra nice shape (not a rattle can paint job), maybe or comes with attachments more than just a mower deck, pictures would help

Tractor lover

Kelly. It has a mower deck and original paint. It needs restored. I looked on Google and it looks like a raider 12 to me. I am just looking for a project. I plan to offer him less as that is his asking price. Thanks.

slammer302

Everyone needs a good project good luck

Kelly

Raiders are stick shifts, so probably a Charger, they are hydros, it's up to you but I buy alot of tractors here in MI and nonrunners unless like I said nice or have extras I only pay $100 it is up to you, not sure how abundant they are in your area, I would say tops $200 that is with out seeing it, tell them you will pay more but need to hear it run, at least ask why it don't run, make sure the engine does not have a broken rod, check the oil see if it is low or looks like mud, the hydro no real way to know unless you can drive it and get it warm to know if the pump is good. 

• Like 2

Ken B

If you don't have a lot of choices in your area and if it looks just used and not abused it could be a fair deal if you could at least hear it run.. Big question is what do you plan to do with it. Kelly is right about what he said. Without it running you have no idea as to the condition of the engine and hydro. Guys collect almost anything Wheel Horse, a 12 hp Hydro tractor is not a hot collectible tractor as far as collectible value being added on top...

• Like 1

Tractor lover

Thanks for the info, I think I'll offer him $100 to $150 at the very most. You are right it could have big problems.

Irv

If you are talking about the 12 Automatic (it's a 1973) on Cl, it looks to be pretty rough from being outside for quite a while. Wiring looks cobbled also and everything looks corroded. I'd say it's priced way too high and unless you're really stuck on that model and want a big project, pass on it, even for a way low price.

Tractor lover

Thanks. Irv. How do you know it's a 73? I will go look at it, do you think it's worth a hundred?

Uncle Buck

This one right??post-11696-0-52843500-1393964115.jpg

Tractor lover

Yes that's it!

Irv

The ad says 12 automatic and that's what it looks like and I believe 73 was the only year they named them just "12 automatic" rather than raider or charger, etc. If you want to get your feet "wet" and try restoring one I'd say go ahead for $100 but be prepared for a lot of work and time to get it in shape. I would personally watch for a better shape one for a few bucks more and save a lot of time, money and headaches.

Tractor lover

There is another one on the same CL page priced at $250. Do you think that one is a better buy? Would it be a hydro? Thanks.

Uncle Buck

You mean this one right? Personally I would choose this one over the automatic myself. But it is a bare machine, no deck or anything though so it depends what you are looking to do with it I guess. I would rather take my chances with one that runs and smokes that at least I know it runs in spite of it having no deck than one not running that looks totally shot with a hydro that could be a crap shoot. I would offer $175-200 though since it has no deck myself.

post-11696-0-67130300-1393965292.jpg

I have a wheel horse tractor for sale. Runs good but does smoke some. Needs battery. $250.00 firm. It has a12hp kohler. Has no deck on it.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

The second :wh: pictured is a nice looking tractor. 

:WRS: 

Tractor lover

Uncle buck thanks for the reply. I guess it doesn't matter if it has a deck as I have a nice mowing tractor,and several farm tractors. I was looking for a project to restore.

• Like 1

Tractor lover

Amc rules I see you are a military member, I'm a Vietnam vet myself, 69 and 70.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

I'm still in service everyday, only as a civilian employee now. 

My thanks to you, for your sacrifice to this great country.  :text-bravo:  

You can add a post in this thread requesting to get the military branch insignia of your choice added to your user ID.

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

Tractor lover

Thank you also sir. Myself I'm retired from John Deere DesMoines works.

• Like 1

Kelly

The first tractor is a $100 or less machine, might get lucky and run great, the second one is a $250-350 tractor if it runs good

Uncle Buck

The first tractor is a $100 or less machine, might get lucky and run great, the second one is a $250-350 tractor if it runs good

The engine smokes and it has no deck according to the ad, hence my thoughts of $175-200..........

Kelly

It does have name brand ags on it I think maybe Goodyears, the sheet metal look nice and I bet is orig. paint, can't tell but if the seat is good that is a big big bonus, even smoking I see a $250 tractor but I always offer less, over all looks to be a pretty clean tractor.

Uncle Buck

It does have name brand ags on it I think maybe Goodyears, the sheet metal look nice and I bet is orig. paint, can't tell but if the seat is good that is a big big bonus, even smoking I see a $250 tractor but I always offer less, over all looks to be a pretty clean tractor.

Agreed, I often think I will offer low but once I actually look at the object I intend to purchase I either offer more than I intended to or pay in full if I actually want the item enough.

• Like 1