stevebo

Need help with ID of this- 1054 or 953?

stevebo

I think I found a 1054 but hood is missing. The tag is below...

post-734-0-85782300-1393807211_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-17334500-1393807226_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-36232400-1393807433_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-27918200-1393807446_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-88546800-1393807458_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-76183100-1393807473_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-59620600-1393807757_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Sparky

What motor is in it. Wasn't the 953 a 9 or 9.5hp Kohler or something like that and a 1054 a 10hp Kohler :scratchead:  ?

Mike.........

953 nut

:text-bravo: Presuming the tires and wheels are original I would say 1054 or 1054A, very nice find. The deck looks like a later model, not a 483 or 484, not sure what deck was used on the 1054A, could be a clue. :text-coolphotos: 

Edited by 953 nut

stevebo

Mike-

the motor is a 10hp and the thing that I notice is different from my 953 is the thickness of the rear fenders.... My 953 seems like it has thicker metal than this one. Going to pick it up tomorrow. Comes with a black canvas cab company cab, plow, snowblower and the mowing deck on it.

• Like 2

Kelly

Does it have a fan gear or Ross steering gear box ?? my 953 had the ivory knobs on the choke and throttle and it does have the wide front and rear tires like a 1054 

• Like 1

Martin

steve, the serial on my 1964 1054 is 43531, so i would say with a 49273 serial, you have a 1054 like others have mentioned. not sure when the cut off is for 65 but i think it would be safe to say it is a 64 so it isn't a 1054A.

Martin

just read where Lane mentioned they have a 1054A with a 48 or 49 serial number so maybe it is a 1054A.

stevebo

@Kelly-

I am not sure. I will be getting it tomorrow and check it out. Does anyone have a nice patina hood for a 1054?? PM me if you do.

"D"- Man

Steve, you may want to check the starter/generator to see if it still has a readable I.D.tag.  I started a topic on the Delco Remy I D tag date code.  The last four digits on the little oval tag are year month & day of the build date (in code) assuming the tag is original to the tractor if the first digit is 5 it would be my guess that the model was a 1054A, however; this does not necessarily indicate that if the first digit is a 4 that it is not a 1054A.  Mark.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Yes as Martin notes we have a 1054-A with a  49533  Serial  Number.    I don't know when 1054-A numbers started but   I think around 49000.     Check for the mower deck cover when you go to pick that up Steve.   And  if you have no luck finding the hood cover  contact me.    That front grill cover is also a nice item to have the original on.       That tractor was a worker and whoever owned it used it -which is what they were made for!   

All those  ivory knobs indicate all original  to me too.  Let me know if you want another mower deck too!   I think we have seven of them!

It looks real good to me!   All that grease and dirt up front is  :protection"  on your 10 HP  Kohler!

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

hcminis

Awesome find.  Wish mine had the mower deck and snow blower.  If you need the front grille at some point let me know.  Gonna have a couple laser cut which isn't cheap but worth it for an original looking grille.

stevebo

Thanks guys- I picked up the tractor today and got it pushed into the barn so I could start to work on it. Fired up the wood stove to take the chill off. Pulled the carb bowl off and it looked nice and clean however the fuel tank is a much different story !! It has old gas and lots of junk/rust inside. I pulled off the sediment bowl. Since getting the tank off these are a project that I am not interested in doing I will push it out of the barn and run the garden hose through the tank with some cleaner to get as much of the junk out of it as I can. I have to wait until a day that is above freezing to do it tho. I changed out the battery and installed a new ground cable. Had to solder a new terminal on the end of the hot lead to the battery too. I think this one will be a nice addition to the fleet.

@Lane- I will send you a PM on the hood.

@Kelly- It has a fan gear

post-734-0-97999100-1393889656_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-77653500-1393889671_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-15344000-1393889686_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

fireman

Come on! Suck it up and pull the transmission and remove that tank and do it right!  :ychain:

• Like 5

Martin

steve, i hope cleaning the tank out that way works for you. also hope you have a good tank. 

i think the tractor looks great, rear fenders look nice and straight, overall it looks like a nice find, except for the hood and grill, looks complete.......

how is the toolbox in the back? any rust?

Edited by Martin

stevebo

@ Jeff- Feel free to stop by and lend a hand since you have no more projects... lol.

@Martin- The tractor has no rot whatsoever. I will take my time finding a nice patina hood for it.

• Like 1

Ken B

Steve stopped by where I work today to show me his latest find, or should I say UncleBo's latest find? :ychain:  The tractor looks pretty darn good. We both seem to remember seeing this one in action yrs. ago...The guy probably bought it at the Tractor Barn (Wheel Horse dealer back in the day) which was right down the road from where Steve purchased it. I'm on the hunt for a 953 myself, have been for a while now...

Shuboxlover

Wonder if it has the high compression head???

stevebo

I will bit on the high compression head??

Shuboxlover

I bought a 1054A for $20 three years ago or so.  It was in rough shape, rod was broke, rims where rusty, tires shot, , dented up, rusty....but had some good parts on it..  I parted the thing out, starting with the engine.  I listed the head, but only took a pick of the top of the head (fin side)  Within 10 minutes of the auction starting I had 4 guys asking to see the bottom side of the head.  It turns out it was a high compression head that all the pullers want.  The head ended up selling for $138, I couldn't believe it.

Might be something to check into.

Edited by Shuboxlover

stevebo

Today I was able to give the tractor a nice bath and clean out the fuel tank. I installed new fuel lines, cleaned carb and plug and fuel filter. When I went to start it somehow the wiring started to melt...OMG !!!! I was able to pull the battery cable off and stop the smoking. Seems the push button switch was bad. The PO added a "positive" terminal on the side which I think grounded so I got rid of that. I installed two new battery cables, and a new battery too. I finally got the wiring right and she fired up and ran nice. Now don't get me wrong this is not a new motor rather one of those that I call "breathing" lol.

What is next .... yes it got the oil treatment and the patina looks great!! I will need to put a tube in the back tire and find a hood. The hydro lift works fine but the return spring is not working so I have to manually return to the handle to the center position. The mower deck spun over nice and worked as it should. I plan on painting the rims and tires and find a hood (hint hint)!! Overall I am really happy with this tractor and my son already claimed it as his and gave me "his" 953....

post-734-0-78955000-1394071403_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-06502400-1394071422_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sparky

If you start collecting all the big WH's Steve that new workshop is going to get real small real fast.

So will you paint the rims and try to give them an aged patina look? Or will they be new and shiny looking?

Mike........

stevebo

Mike-

I outgrew the small barn/shed before I even built it !! I plan on painting this wheels using the same gloss navajho white I already have. I will use a brush to give it the right look tho. It will look like the before and after of my 702 below.

post-734-0-37369600-1394073818_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-95906600-1394073830_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

speedyleedy

Looks good stevebo , would kind of oil do you use to give your horse's a bath in...... :)

stevebo

I have been using either marvel mystery oil or a light 5/10 W30 NEW oil lately.

Ken B

Steve does the 1054 sound the same as the 953? That 953 has a very distinct sound to it...