56flatbed

Eaton 700 on 5series

56flatbed

Just a little curiousity thing here. I'm learning a bit since joining the WH world about 2 years ago, and am interested why things may have been done a certain way. So, why in the world did Wheel Horse put the 700 transaxle under a heavy duty series tractor like the 500's.

Edited by 56flatbed

Sparky

For folks who would just be mowing grass but wanted that big tractor feel :scratchead:  .....and TORO was probably able to knock a few bucks off the 516/518 to make it more appealing. Dont get me wrong it was a lousy idea since those same dealers I bet would sell the guy who bought a 516/518 in the spring a snow-plow in the winter and a tiller the next spring etc...spelling doom for the tranny.

Mike............

can whlvr

kinda wondered this over the years too,i have a 312-h that has the 1100 with lift,and then theres 500,s with the 700 and when its the 700 that means no hydro lift

leeave96

My guess is two reasons, one was to cut costs and the other to set up an upsale. For a little more $$$'s, get a tractor with hydro drive and hydro lift - that would get you the Eaton 1100.

Edited by leeave96

Hodge71

Is it possible that it was also geared toward people who didnt need/want the hydro lift. I personally am not a huge fan of them for certain things. Mowing...who needs it...snowplowing with a 42" or 48"...I can do without it...Plowing with a 60" like on my 18 Auto...definitely need one there...same for 2 stage snowblower..absolutely, but with a single stage..not so much

squonk

Love hydro lift ! I'm getting lazy in my old age!

Hodge71

Me too Mike but I think the lift lever and level control is better suited for some things where repeatability is needed. Like using a mid grader or front dozer blade to move dirt or modified/stone for a driveway or yard. They all have their purpose thats why they made different variations...

What Squonk says makes sense...

Trouty56

I don't think the position of the manual lift lever is comfortable...not for my leg or arm.....that is the main reason I prefer the hydro lift....

Sorry....a bit off topic....

Edited by Trouty56
  • Like 1

Hodge71

Not a bit off topic Bob. Its what makes us all unique. I grew up with my Dads 12 Automatic with the manual lift so its second nature to me and Im comfortable with it. Its another reason Im partial to my C-1974 160 8 Speed. But at the same time I love the hydro lift of my 18 auto. I definitely wouldn't want to be lifting that 60" mower deck from the 520 or 60" snowplow by hand...lol

rexman72

nothing better then the hydro  lift

• Like 1

stevebo

I just picked up a 312 A. It is the newer Toro "Classic" model. It has hydro lift and hydro drive. Does that mean it has the Eaton 1100? I thought all 312 A's ran the Eaton 700. It has a broken lift arm under the tractor too. It is pouring out and not sure how much work it is to install a new one. Anyone been there and done that?

ericj

the toro wheel horse 312 are hydro not autos if i recall somebody correct me if i'm wrong. but if it has the filter on it, it is an eaton 1100 and they also only put the hydro lift it is an eaton 1100. the center lift come out real easy, it has the bolt from the chain on it and a E clip on the 1 side pop it off and it will slide right out

eric j 

stevebo

Eric,

This unit does have the oil filter. 

Ken B

I just picked up a 312 A. It is the newer Toro "Classic" model. It has hydro lift and hydro drive. Does that mean it has the Eaton 1100? I thought all 312 A's ran the Eaton 700. It has a broken lift arm under the tractor too. It is pouring out and not sure how much work it is to install a new one. Anyone been there and done that?

I have lost count of how many you've hauled in the past month....

stevebo

gwest_ca

Are you sure it is not a 312-H? These use the Eaton 1100.

Garry

stevebo

I think it is the 312H