Save Old Iron

The Price Tag on Unobtainum - or how much for a wire harness

32 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you pay for a new C series wire harness - w/ shipping?

• $0 - I'll DIY a harness
    • $50 tops
    • $75 to $100 for top quality - better than new.

Save Old Iron

Lots of folks need them - some folks can make them and others will need to buy them.

I'm assuming the average guy doesn't wish to invest $100 - $200 into supplies and tools to re-create a C series wire harness in a professional manner,

What price would you be willing to pay for a complete C series harness ? Not a 520H, Lawn Ranger, or 416, but a C SERIES harness.

all new connectors

all new tin plated terminals

heavier duty marine grade wire

heatshrink and soldered terminals

dielectric grease on all terminals

tested, packed and shipped to your door.

What's that worth? Is it profitable for someone to take on the task of becoming a vendor of new wiring harnesses?

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 3

AMC RULES

Seems like some should be a little more or less, depending on complexity.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Very good question Chuck. We know there is a big need for these. I voted for the big number but some don't have the electric clutch and seat switch and hour meter so they would be simpler like the one I am building for myself.

Edited by Wishin4a416
  • Like 1

Save Old Iron

Very true, which is why I highlited the C Series statement.

Supplying individual replacement wires is also a possibily' If your ignition wires burn up, maybe a 2 or 3 piece replacement kit could be made available. If you choose to rewire just your seat switch, maybe just supply replacements to the original spec's. This method would still save the buyer time and $$$ in searching out and buying bulk quantities of wire, terminals and connectors.

• Like 1

MalMac

As these tractors keep aging and slipping ever so slowly into the phrase of " No Longer Available" on the parts end of things. It is going to take  people to take matters into there own hands and doing just as you suggested. That's what the auto industry has done. It's the aftermarket of parts world that keeps old cars, trucks, etc. going. Sometimes the aftermarket can see what was wrong the product or the down side of a part and make it better. Even in a wiring harness. SOI again you have brought up a good point. I hope someone takes the bull by the horns and see's a market for the wiring harness's that we all will need sooner or later. Even if they don't burn up they become frail and need replacing.

Edited by MalMac
  • Like 1

Lane Ranger

I was actually thinking today that the folks that come of with the re-engineering equivalent of EBAY and tie -in lots of mom and pop, small industries,  machine shops,  "tinkering shops", etc. that can produce items for folks in a more systematic , organized fashion or online process may have a going business plan .    Where demand meets capability is a market!

Kelly

This is a great idea, BUT I sell a lot of parts, and get asked about harness's, many tractors are not the same, even how the wires are routed are not, so a harness on the shelf might only fit a few machines, most will have to be custom built, and from experience selling stuff, I bet you will not sell many if the price is above $50 sad to say, and I bet you will have $25 in parts for a common harness, plus labor  

• Like 1

hm12460

I think that most guys that can't do there own mechanical, paint, or electrical work are the type that just go to Home Depot or Sears and buy a new tractor. Put it on  a credit card and use for a few years, then just buy another. Along with what Kelly said, I just don't think you would sell very many. Then Again, who knows? It does sound like an interesting idea. Would there be legal issue's to resolve from our friends at Toro?

56flatbed

I'm with Kelly on this. Between the two C series I have, the harness' are different. Anyhow, I add tail lights and hour meters to mine. Just wish I could find replacement connectors.

Kelly

Maybe offer the wire connectors, and plug ends so we can build our own, often the hard part is finding the parts to do the job correctly, with a option to have a complete harness built 

Edited by Kelly

Wheel-N-It

I'm not sure what the market would be, but certainly a complete well made wiring harness such as the one you described is well worth seventy five dollars. It takes time and good materials to build a high grade wiring harness that will last twenty years. The only problem now is the economy. Most folks just don't have the money to plunk down for restoration quality anything. I've noticed on CL the number of incomplete projects for sale, simply because the owner has run out of money. Sad, just plain sad.................

bmsgaffer

Ive been debating on this topic as well.

What about instead of creating a complete harness, you create a 'control' that goes in the tractor. You would make it connect using connectors that anyone can make and then just have it be universal. It would not be original, but it would be very reliable. It could go in anything from an RJ to a fancy 520.

It would be somewhat smart and allow connections to be made inputs and outputs all at one location and the end customer just wires it up.

Inputs:

starter switch, stator, headlight switch, battery

outputs:

starter solenoid (this could actually be built into the unit along with the regulator), headlights, taillights, indicator lights (if applicable),

Extras:

tach output, diagnostic port, fuel levels, throttle/choke by wire