Ed Kennell

Electro 12 advice

Ed Kennell

Hey guys... I got a lead on this tractor. It's about two hours from me.   This is what the owner tells me:

The good ... Runs good,  Good tin, has a strong hydro, good 42"SD deck , Hyd lift, Electric PTO, Sleeve hitch, he'll throw in a mule drive he has no use for. 

The bad.... has a craftsman seat, he's askin $350.

The ugly ... It leaks fuel into the crankcase.

Is this just a bad fuel pump diaphragm , or is there some other way for fuel to get in there?

Where does the Electro fall on the rare tractor list ?

Any thoughts are welcome. 

I know  :wwp:   I may have to take a test run. :eusa-think:

Wheel-N-It

Sounds like a fuel pump issue to me. Thats gonna cost you $40. The Craftsman seat I could live with on a worker as long as its in good shape. If a new fuel pump solves the oil in the crankcase problem then $400 (roughly) for the tractor with all the other goodies thrown in is a good investment.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Fuel pump is the most likely guilty party.  The issue is how long had it been leaking into the crank case.  Fuel thinned oil is not a great lubricator and the crank and connecting rod bearings may be worn excessively.

• Like 1

Ken B

As always pics would help but it doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. The Electro 12's are one of my favorites for getting the job done. I just wish I still had one! I traded mine off to a loving home a few yrs. ago. I'm always on the look out for another one, they are a very capable snow pusher as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSbaHkb0OqY

• Like 2

squonk

The biggie is if that electric PTO is in good shape. I got well used Electro 2 yrs. ago right out of the middle of the snow belt. Some one had converted it to a manual PTO. Had a worn out cab, worn out blower, nice deck,snow blade and  :wh: rear weights. I wanted the weights more than anything. Sold the cab  to one guy. Scrapped the blower. Sold the deck to one friend and sold the tractor and blade to his brother. Ended up owning the weights for free!  :notworthy:  :thumbs: .Here's Jack oiling it down on the "Retail Ready'" line at last years Steam Pageant  :)

IMG_0253_zps1a3b1993.jpg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

As always pics would help but it doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. The Electro 12's are one of my favorites for getting the job done. I just wish I still had one! I traded mine off to a loving home a few yrs. ago. I'm always on the look out for another one, they are a very capable snow pusher as well.

:text-goodpost:  Wow... now that's a snow mover... and no hooks on the ags!

squonk

Love the exhaust!  :) WHOOMBAH!!!! :happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 1

chazm

With the fuel in the oil issue could be a problem down the road.... :dunno:  I would  mention that to him & throw $300 at him ..see what he says  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Kelly

Tractor is not rare, Electro's built from 68 to 70 the 70 has the new style hood, like a C series, gas in the oil can be bad, as said most likely a fuel pump, if the engine runs good and no smoke you have a 80% chance it's ok, the price is fair, depending on overall condition. 

• Like 1

formariz

Yes the Electro 12 is a great capable tractor. It has become indispensible around here. Probably most noticeable pushing snow since it is effortless with it and it is FAST.Very important when backing up to the driveway after pushing snnow across street. Can be a bit pricey to repair the electric components specially the ignition on the 69 if something goes wrong but in my opinion well worth it.We named ours Kenny. Hey Ken just realized it looking at the video, you forgot to leave the hubcaps! :hide:

:text-goodpost:  Wow... now that's a snow mover... and no hooks on the ags!

Believe me, it is all that and more.

Love the exhaust!  :) WHOOMBAH!!!! :happy-jumpeveryone:

It gets respect from everyone with that exhaust.

• Like 1