Irish Rover

Airport Clean-up

Irish Rover

Hi everybody... I am a new member to R.S. I have recently picked up a 1975 C-100 and a single stage snow blower (I don't know the model #) for $350. I bought it to clean up around our small airport in West Michigan. The maintenance guy at the airport has created a mess around our hangars with his questionable plowing practices. I would like to attack the windrows over the next couple days so the warmer weather can have a chance to help with the snow. The windrows are not huge, but I was wondering if there is a best practice to clear them. I am assuming I will have to bust them up with a shovel and then blow the knock down away. I don't have a plow. I thought it wouldn't hurt to beg for some tricks.post-12499-139273364487_thumb.jpg

Casey

C-100

• Like 2

gwest_ca

That snowthrower should be one of these

1983 model 06-42ST03 - first model to use skids instead of wheels

1984-87 model 06-42ST04

1987-89 model 06-42ST05

1990 model 06-42ST06 - last model to use a cable to turn the chute

Garry

Hodge71

Casey, with it being an 8 speed I would say the best way to attack it is head on. No need to bust anything up with a shovel unless you are dealing with solid Ice and then you shouldn't be blowing it anyhow. I would say best thing to do is run at full throttle, put the transmission in low range and start out in second gear. Put the pile right in the middle of the blower and chug through it. If its too fast and bogging the engine horribly, drop to first gear. Just be patient. Your tractor has a Kohler…Its a good engine and it will chew through your mess. Post some pics too, before, after, action shots during…we are suckers for pics and vids. Good luck and  :WRS:  :wwp:

Edited by hodge71
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Got a pict of those windrows to share here Casey?   :scratchead: 

Irish Rover

I do t have a photo of the windrows. They are only a few feet high. I tested one with a shovel and they are not rock solid. I think the blower will chew through some of it on its own, but I have a hunch I will have to knock some down with a shovel. If I had another horse with a plow, I would be all set. Sounds like a purchase for next year.

Casey

C-100

I'll send some pics of the carnage. Woo Hoo.

Casey

C-100

SousaKerry

I have busted through 5' snow piles left from snow plows with my blower(same model) takes some time but it will chew through it.  I ram the pile let the blower chew till it clears and back up and ram again when it get real tough.  Biggest problem is when the chute is shorter then the pile your chewing through.  You can also try running the blower in the up position take the top off then back up and lower it to get the rest.

Here is mine chewing through ice and drifts in my yard

Edited by SousaKerry
  • Like 1

Sparky

You may have traction issues without weights and tire chains.

And of course....  :WRS: 

Mike...........

Irish Rover

I have chains mounted but no weights. So far I have had good traction with just the chains. I got most of the area cleaned up tonight. Here is a picture of the horse sheltered under a friendly wing.

Casey

C-100

post-12499-139278761486_thumb.jpg

Casey

C-100

• Like 1

Kelly

I use my blower to take big piles down, use it in the up position, then back up lower and finish up, if you need or want a plow I have a small WH salvage here in MI and have a few plows.

pfrederi

If you are attacking hard plow piles I would remove the side wings on the blower.  The put a big strain on a weak point of the blower assembly and you make break the weld between the top of the blower body and the top front of the end plates.

• Like 1

rexman72

the snow keeps coming and coming

JC 1965

Good luck with the snow piles and   :WRS:

Irish Rover

What are the opinions of the side wings? They sure do like to grab the snow and pull the tractor to one side or the other. Do you prefer to run with them on or off?

Casey

C-100

AMC RULES

Looks like you're gonna need an air horse too.

post-3498-0-52474000-1392859262.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES

Irish Rover

New Ags going on soon

Casey

C-100

• Like 2

boovuc

Ahhhhhh. Your horse is making friends with a Cessna!

can whlvr

the wings are great if you arnt doing anything but staying in the already blown area,i just bent one of my throwers really bad,bent the right side 90 degrees to the body,kept catching things like rocks around the flower bed,and all the frozen banks we have,so I agree with paul,take them off if your working hard snow,you can break welds also

Irish Rover

Before and after photos. The knucklehead plow driver continues to p#%£ me off.post-12499-139291738468_thumb.jpgpost-12499-139291740425_thumb.jpgpost-12499-139291741652_thumb.jpgpost-12499-139291743045_thumb.jpg

Casey

C-100

AMC RULES

Yep, frozen like a rock...take your time tryin' to blow that stuff off.    :scared-eek:

If you can wait till the early afternoon, might be a little easier on your equipment after it warms up a bit.