Mr. 856

Bench test or test in machine after rebuild?

Mr. 856

I am down to the nitty gritty on the K181S rebuild. What do you guys do for the first run. Bench test? Bolt it in tractor and go? I will admit this being my first rebuild/rebore I have this feeling of "what if". "what if" I didn't do this right.......etc, etc, etc. I fix crap for living but have always had this little bit of self doubt when it comes to anything the runs on gas although I seem to be able to get just about anything running again. I went by the manual, took my time.......but have this nervousness about the big fire up. LOL call me crazy I should be pumped right. Anyway........what should I do for "D" Day? Bolt it to a stand and let it rip with a rope? will the engine need to be ground to something to spark if not in the tractor? Can engine break-in be properly done on a stand? or is that better suited in the machine? Thanks for any advice.

• Like 1

WH nut

Bolt her in and fire it up, Make sure you run it about half throttle for 10-15 minutes and make your adjustments then work the **** out her. She will love it.

Mr. 856

:) thanks for the laugh

Eboy

Bench  test it.  Bolt it down and give it a whirl.  Instant gratification. 

sorekiwi

A few years ago I built a test rig which was basically an old chassis with a fuel tank and a bit of wiring,  Used it a couple of times and decided it was easier to just bolt the motor back into the tractor it came from, hook up the gas tank and wiring that's already there and set up for that engine and run it on there.

I usually start the motor before I bother to hook up the drive belt etc, get it hot, check for leaks etc.  If it seems OK, I'll hook up the belts etc.  When its cold I'll retorque the head, and take it for a ride.  I usually run them a couple of times before I work them too hard.

• Like 2

oldredrider

I usually bench test an engine first. Easier for me to check/adjust everything at eye level.

Most engines I rebuild are for other people, so bench testing is the only option since just the engines are brought to me.

After you have done a few, bolting to a bench and hooking up wiring and fuel lines only takes five minutes.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Since my rebuilds are done on whatever clear two foot by two foot spot I can find in the garage, a true bench test is out of the question. So I find that it is much easier to just bolt it back on the tractor where you have the convenience of a battery, a gas tank, and a transmission that you can hook it to for load testing.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Have faith... :handgestures-thumbsup: 

remember, it's a :wh: 

squonk

This reminds me of another funny story. I had a welder/friend that was into old Chevy's and was building a 56 327 for his son. 

He built a test stand and made the gas tank for it, a dummy trans bellhousing everything. I redid a Quadrajet for it and wired up all the electrics gauges ect. He was a stickler for a clean shop. It was ready to run and he started filling the Rad. with antifreeze. I said why not use just water and he said he  didn't want the inside of the motor to rust. :rolleyes:  Anyway we start it up set the timing and carb everything's good get it up to about 160 deg and BOOM! The Rad petcock blows out and sprays antifreeze all over the shop. You all know how hard that stuff is to clean up. I laughed so hard I wasn't allowed back for a month! :ROTF:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

Coadster32

Since my rebuilds are done on whatever clear two foot by two foot spot I can find in the garage, a true bench test is out of the question. So I find that it is much easier to just bolt it back on the tractor where you have the convenience of a battery, a gas tank, and a transmission that you can hook it to for load testing.

X2 :text-yeahthat:

Fordiesel69

Its 4 bolts............

I say bolt it in, as you need to load the engine to break it in anyway.  I bet you did a fine job on it.

• Like 1

shorts

It's an easy install on the tractor, you can just use 2 bolts and hook up the fuel and electric for a test run or you can do a complete install and hope that everything is good to go except for minor adjustments , my choice is to bolt the engine down like it is supposed to be and then hook up enough stuff to start the engine and check it out before completely reassembling the tractor.

sorekiwi

One advantage of the test bed that I built, was that it was easy to change out the flywheel side bearing plate on a Kohler - without even draining the oil!

IMG_1931.jpg

Kelly

Have faith... :handgestures-thumbsup: 

remember, it's a :wh: 

What does that have to do with test running  engine ?????

SousaKerry

I'm too impatient hold it down with a c clamp(or a teenager) and let it rip.

Edited by SousaKerry

Mr. 856

Well some good feedback including the option of finding a teenager. LOL My son is 9-1/2 months old. Maybe if I sit him on it? :) In any event I hope to have her running in a few weekends. Since the tractor itself is almost a roller I think i'm going to bolt it in and go from there.