Mr. 856

K181 breather what is correct direction?

Mr. 856

I literally am staring at the Kohler owners manual that is original . Model K181S Spec. 30108C. In the parts diagram is shows the breather plate with the two holes facing outwards thus putting the reed on the inside. The Kohler repair manual found easily on the web shows it with reed out. Now im confused. I had it holes out based on the "owners manual" and have changed it to the kohler "service" manual. Can someone please confirm what direction the reed should face please so I can sleep tonight. Im down to the nitty gritty on the rebuild although it has taken awhile. I'm getting to the point of just buttoning up the last few things like wiring, timing, etc. I don't know why but I am nervous about the first start/run. I suppose since it my first real rebuild of an engine I have that funny feeling. I certainly hope I did it all right.

WH nut

Reeds in, small hole in breather plate down

Mr. 856

Thank you.

TT

The reed goes to the outside and the drain-back hole goes on the bottom:

K-161Hobie032.jpg

SBKbreather.jpg

Think of the reed as a check valve.....  Crankcase vapor needs expelled, but outside air can't be allowed to enter or the crankcase will become pressurized. The excess pressure will cause the oil to be pushed past the rings and/or up through the valve guides where it is burned. It can also cause crankshaft oil seals to leak and possibly blow out.

Each time the piston rises in the bore, the reed should close and vacuum is created within the crankcase. As the piston travels downward, the reed opens and some of the the air displaced by the piston is expelled. The vacuum cycle caused by the movement of the piston is what "powers" a pulse-type fuel pump.

• Like 5

WH nut

Opps I got it wrong to, sorry about that

Mr. 856

Interesting. Thanks for explaining that Terry. The picture you have above is exactly the one I saw out of the "service" manual.

Edited by Mr. 856
  • Like 2

shorts

I always trust the service manual photo's over what an illustrator drew up for the parts manual, it makes the most sense to me that the service guys have a better handle on what the intended assembly should be over what the best illustration view may be

rmaynard

I always trust the service manual photo's over what an illustrator drew up for the parts manual, it makes the most sense to me that the service guys have a better handle on what the intended assembly should be over what the best illustration view may be

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here as the above illustration IS correct.

shorts

Bob, I agree the illustration is correct, in some instances the illustration and the actual assembly orientation are not always the same, some times the illustration will be shown incorrectly of assembly to better show the detail of the part.  Example if the reed valve was shown from the other side all you would see is the plate with a hole in it, no reed valve.

Oldschool64

The Reed Valve ( Breather ) Faces Out On the K181 .

The 10 HP and up is self explanatory...

With that said im in need of this reed valve , the one on my K181 broke off.

Where can i purchase it ?

• Excellent 1

stevasaurus

@Oldschool64  You might still be able to get one from Kohler...maybe on E-Bay, or check with one of our vendors like @A-Z Tractor.

• Excellent 1

gwest_ca

You may want to get 2 filters

Garry