williamgrgn

1964 wheel horse

williamgrgn

I just picked up a 1964 wheel horse with a mowing deck it runs great but the gas tank has a leak its the gas tank that is also the dash and the steering wheel is ran through it it looks like its a two piece tank is there a gasket I can get for it?

williamgrgn

Here's a picture of it

post-12531-0-62213600-1392246733_thumb.j

• Like 2

Shuboxlover

I have a 753 (same tank) that was leaking....I bought a new replacement gasket for it but it still leaked.  Only after I used aviation epoxy did I get it to stop leaking.  Good luck!!!!

TT

:WRS:

I'm 99.7% sure your tractor is a 1963.

• Like 1

williamgrgn

How can you tell I only had one like this before I let it go (wish I hadn't) it doesn't have the original engine its from 1968

stevebo

He knows.. trust me....

BTW Welcome to RedSquare !!

• Like 2

Kelly

The batt tray is welded to the frame and the steering wheel are 2 clues it's a 1963

In 64 the batt tray is a bolt on, and has a 2 spoke steering wheel

Edited by Kelly
  • Like 2

Theroundhousernr

In the photo it looks like you where mowing snow! :laughing-rofl:  I never new the deck could serve as a snow blower. :ychain:    

williamgrgn

I bought it in the snow set outside for two years paid 200 for it had to use my hi lift jack to break the tires free from the ground Its now running moving got parts on eBay ordered just gotta fix this gas tank and paint

bowtieguy

The gasket is still a stock item at your local Toro dealer...but rather priceeeeeeee!...I  ordered one for my two piece tank...make sure both surfaces are flat then "hand" torque the bolts in an alternating sequence...I applied a light torque...let tank set for 12 hrs...hand torqued again...let set 12 hrs ...then applied third "hand" torque....this allowed the gasket to be fully compressed (you will notice the bolts to appear to be loose after the first 24 hrs.

So far no leaks....be extra careful and don't try to torque the bolts really tight on first sequence or you will twist them off!!!!

And remember, WH issued a SB to solve the leaking tank....install a smaller tank inside the two piece tank!...I actually saw a tank with that kit installed! :twocents-02cents:

PS...I traced a pattern on some gasket material so I won't have to take out a loan to buy another gasket for this two piece tank.

Also, I hope you got a belt guard with your 1963 tractor purchase

Edited by bowtieguy

oaktown1987

That's a super awesome tractor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

williamgrgn

I got a belt guard in looking at in Plymouth Indiana just gotta figure shipping now when you say the gasket set is expensive would it be better if I made my own?

AMC RULES

Should be/left the factory with a square seat pan.

Congrats, nice score there, good price too.  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

williamgrgn

It had a boat seat on it when I got it comfy but ugly this seat came with it

dandan111

A shop used a tank sealer coating to fix my old tank. Leaked after the first dip so they gave it another dip and it's been holding for a few years now. Mines the non dash type. Hope the gasket works if not look for a shop to dip it for you. Looks like a good project and a nice buy.

williamgrgn

Found a gasket set for 27 bucks through Toro dealer now I just need front tires apparently 4.80-4.00-8 is an old size

slammer302

If the gasket don't work try red kote tank sealer it work the first for me didn't even use a gasket its at O'Reillys 30$ but it works

Jake Kuhn

Nice looking 753! Front tires should not be hard to find, usually don't type in both the numbers when you are searching. You can buy 4.00-8 or 4.80-8 and they will both work fine. I usually buy most tires off of ebay.

williamgrgn

Your not going to believe this I tighten the bolts on the tank and it stopped leaking holy cow my luck just changed

• Like 1

Coadster32

Your not going to believe this I tighten the bolts on the tank and it stopped leaking holy cow my luck just changed

Hopefully you just "found" the gasket, and not purchased it yet.

I had installed a new gasket on mine, and with correct torqueing, still holding up today with no leaks. Also heard that yamabond#4 works wonders as well.

BTW---nice roundhood, and welcome to :rs:

williamgrgn

Tank is still holding up its a beautiful machine has the boss jealous of it btw is this a 753? I really don't know models I need some education on that

Kelly

Best guess is yes a 753

• Like 1

williamgrgn

Thanks guys for all the help I appreciate it

williamgrgn

So I'm having an issues with the tank the nuts were your suppose to bolt the hood down are missing and it looks like someone just jb welded a nut in there how is that suppose to be

Kelly

Often the tap that holds the clip on the tank is broken, and all kinds of methods have been used to fix it, post a pic of what your dealing with