dandan111

Exploring the waters

dandan111

My brother bought a used 314-8 around 10 or 11 years ago. He has had wiring gremlins and told me he hates to even have to use it anymore. Every time he walks up to it something's wrong. He has mentioned upgrading to a 520 in the past. So the question.

Should he keep fighting the fight with his 314? He really has no time as he is gone all week.

Should he hunt for that 520 he has thought about?

Should he look into a JD 318 with hyd?

We have both plowed snow with wheel horse manual lifts our whole life. He is getting a little tired of the manual lifts maybe it's time to upgrade? His arsenal has always been mower deck,chain,weights and snow blade. So we know what he want there. 48 inch deck is fine also. What do you guys think?

Also-His tractor has been kept inside the whole time he has owned it but I suspect the orig owner left it set outside.(wiring problems)

chazm

Sounds like he's got the 520 on the brain, which would be a good upgrade :) , but you may inherit someone else problems though :angry-banghead:

I myself would fix the 314, but being a mechanic that is some what easily said :scratchead:

I won't even comment on the JD statement :naughty:

Sparky

If he is thinks the electrical gremlins of a 314 are a headache then he will really hate the 520!!

Mike........

• Like 5

MalMac

as said, going from 314 with wiring problems to a 520 is like jumping from the frying pan to the fire.

• Like 2

Kelly

I love my 520's I think as a work horse to me there is nothing better, but they have issues, mostly wiring ones, I've owned about 20 520's now most every one I had to tinker with the wiring, then if not well kept they can have engine issues, I have a low hours machine here, just turned over 400 hours and I'm still fighting running issues nothing major but not as nice as I would like. 

dandan111

I'm sad to hear this about the 520. I have never had a problem with my 314 but it's been well cared for since day 1. Dont bash me but how about the JD 318? Do those have wiring gremlins?

squonk

I'd look for a C-160, 120 with hydro if it were me

oldredrider

I'd look for a C-160, 120 with hydro if it were new

Yeah, what he said!

Edited by oldredrider

Sparky

Rather than the C-160 I would move up to a C-125, C-145 or a C-165 hydro. That way you get the Eaton 1100 with hydraulic lift with the Kohler K series under the hood.

Mike..........

• Like 1

dodge78

I'm sad to hear this about the 520. I have never had a problem with my 314 but it's been well cared for since day 1. Dont bash me but how about the JD 318? Do those have wiring gremlins?

I would rewire the 314 and clean the switches.  You could add a winch for lifting. I rewired both of my WHs and my friends JD 214. Its not hard to do but can be time consuming. You could hear the difference in how the 214 ran and it stopped dying when it hit a certain spot in the alley blowing snow. 

As for the 318, they are good tractors but as you have mentioned,  the difference between the two 314s has been previous care.  The 318s are spendy units so if you find a less expensive unit, you may be getting someone else's problem.  

KC9KAS

Tell im to get the JD.....That will leave more WH's for the rest of us! :ychain:

Hodge71

I really don't think that question is going to get a good response on here. After all its a Wheel Horse site. Not saying some guys here might not know about Junk Deeres but our knowledge base is definitely more tailored to red tractors.

Edited by hodge71

squonk

Rather than the C-160 I would move up to a C-125, C-145 or a C-165 hydro. That way you get the Eaton 1100 with hydraulic lift with the Kohler K series under the hood.

Mike..........

While I would agree with 99% of what you just said the newer 125,145's ect tin work just feels flimsy to me compared to the older c series

squonk

I have a friend with both Horses and greenies The green ones are a PITA to work on compared to a Horse

fireman

The JD 318 is an incredible machine. Real power steering, live hydraulics and the same Onan that Wheel Horse uses. While others here bash JD, I'm opened minded and have actually used them and know their capabilities. No manufacturer has the best machine overall. They all have their good points and bad. I won't go further into detail here but if you want more info on the 318, PM me and I'll tell you more and point you to some other Websites.

leeave96

IMHO, the 314-8 is one of the best garden tractors Wheelhorse ever built.  I'm a little biased as I have one - bought it new.  Open the hood, you see everything under the hood.  IMHO the right balance between power and gas mileage and vibration.  I wouldn't shy away around from the 520H, but IMHO the 314-8 is going to be a simpler tractor to work-on.  Were it me, I would do whatever it takes to re-wire it.  My 2nd option would be to buy a 520H in addition to the 314-8.  A two tractor plan is great and having a hydro and gear drive is a very good option.  My second tractor along side my 314-8 was a 520H and before I lost my mind and added many more tractors to the fleet, that two tractor was a great combo.

As to the JD 318, don't own one, but at some point in my tractor collecting would have done so,  Nothing against the JD, but for me, knowing what I do about the Wheelhorses would make me pass on the 318 - unless it's a deal.  Here's why:  The 318 is going to be a more complicated tractor than the 314-8, it has a similar, if not the same engine and probably wiring issues as a 520H.  But the BIG reason I would take a 520H over the 318 is simply Matt's foot control kit.  That kit transforms the 520H into a very modern garden tractor.  As to power steering, the 520H, if it is a '91 or later model will have a gear reduction steering which is essentially power steering.  In addition, if you stick with Wheelhorse, you will likely find implements lower cost and if you go with a two tractor plan, you can count on the implements interchanging.

Just some thoughts.

Good luck,

Bill