brandonozz

Educate me about the Ride Away Sr tractors

brandonozz

I would love to have those that own/have owned a Sr tractor tell me about the tractors and their overall performance.

I've never seen one in person but they look pretty big in size. How do they compare in weight to say the D tractors?

How are they as a worker and pulling power?

Does anyone still actually use the Sr for chores or are all of them basically show pieces?

Thanks, Brandon

neil

I recently had this Senior imported to UK  & i wouldnt dream of using it to work . I got this tractor solely to preserve the history of the tractor.

I may use it to pull a trailer around the garden but thats about it , this is my pride & joy & so  i have other tractors that are probabley less valuable  that  will do what i need to have done .

If you want a tractor to do some  real hard work then i would recommomend using the D 200  as they are a heavier tractor & will do more work hard than the senior , thats not to say that the senior isnt capable of doing its fair share of work

This is just my opinion on these  tractors , some may have a different view .

post-2119-0-02061900-1391326495_thumb.jppost-2119-0-60806300-1391326557_thumb.jppost-2119-0-17868100-1391326653_thumb.jp

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

I've have yet to see anyone still working a Senior.

Edited by AMC RULES

boovuc

Hi Brandon,

The Seniors were actually pre-Wheelhorse and are quite old. As Neil stated, the vast majority of folks who own them don't use them for anything other than preservation, education and parades!

They had Ford Model A rear-ends and a tiny by today's comparisons +8 HP Wisconsin Motor on a three-speed transmission.

They were big and heavy. You could compare them to the old Farmall Cubs. The old Farmall cubs looked big and tall and with their belly mower looked like they were ready to plow the north 40. However, they had tiny motors and compared to a modern compact or sub-compact tractor, they wouldn't hold a candle to them. The Farmall Cub and the Pond Seniors were big heavy powerful GARDEN and LARGE PLOT tractors "of their day" and their days were the 1940's and early 1950's.

I know of one that the owner has now parked after years of plowing snow. I may or may not own it someday depending on the family wishes. I don't care if I have to push it in and out of my way, I would love to have it in my shed or garage. Its the history of the tractor that adds value of it for me.

If you Google this tractor both on Redsquare and on the web, you'll learn more about them and their history.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

I'll definitely be working mine, when I get it.   :) 

• Like 1

brandonozz

Neil,

That is a beautiful machine and I doubt I could bring myself to even get that one dirty.

Thanks for the insight guys. I have seen some in parade videos and show pictures but not in the field working. There may be some videos/film around somewhere but cell phone cameras and youtube weren't around in the 50's and 60's. Truth be told, even though under powered compared to todays garden tractors they were likely very capable as usually the limiting factor as to what a GT can do is not the HP but the size/weight/traction.

My guess when starting this post was that there weren't many (other than the old timers) that actually know what the Sr's are capable of as (those that have them) are fearful of pushing the envelope to see what they can actually do compared to our modern Horses that get tested to their limits regularly. Please don't take this as a challenge but I'm still waiting to see the "Hey look at what my Senior can do" video.

I think if were going to get that video we all need to be pointing Craig in the right direction every time we come across one! I bet he wouldn't mind that one bit!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

There are a few Senior "in action" videos one Youtube, none are doing any hard labor though. 

stevebo

I have one and love it. I would not have any issue working it other than the worry of breaking parts (especially the fragile hood). I have enough workers so my old girl is just for riding around. I have to say the clutch is kind of touchy on mine and the tranny is a little loud by nature but a very cool and fun tractor to drive.

• Like 2

papaglide

Are they roughly the size of a power king 1614, 2418 or so?

stevebo

Yes very close to the same size as a power king 1614

post-734-0-77496400-1391390993_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Uncle Buck

I have one and love it. I would not have any issue working it other than the worry of breaking parts (especially the fragile hood). I have enough workers so my old girl is just for riding around. I have to say the clutch is kind of touchy on mine and the tranny is a little loud by nature but a very cool and fun tractor to drive.

I would certainly understand having to be very careful what happens with that hood.

You might just be surprised about not only that clutch, but the transmission too. If those are both Model A I bet you if you contact the guys in the Model A Ford Club of America chapter in your area you would likely find several guys that are comfortable with the A stuff and could and likely would lend a hand either fixing, replacing, upgrading, or repairing those components in your old tractor. In the end, Model A is Model A and the stuff is the same whether it is setting between original A bone rails or in your tractor!

In fact, I would go you one better! I wish someone that has an old WH senior would contact the MAFCA and their publication  "The Restorer" to do an article in "The Restorer" about Senior tractors. The MAFCA and "The Restorer" is the bible on everything Model A. I have subscribed to the restorer and have seen many articles in the publication about all kinds of crazy Model A stuff through my years as a subscriber. I have seen articles on airplanes with Model A engines, tow behind air compressors and all kinds of crazy stuff like that. If it has Model A parts in it the MAFCA and The Restorer  consider it all part of the link and history of the Model A ford.

Essentially, since Seniors have A tranny's and rear ends they are part of that A history.   

I would offer my help and assistance to that end to any Senior owner that thinks they might want to contact the MAFCA to do an article about their tractor. Maybe your tractor could be in an issue? How cool would that be. Anyway, my offer is good for any Red Square member owning a Senior that asks such assistance from me.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Ken B

I know if I had a Senior I'd use it but I don't think I'll ever have one. I'd at least have to push some snow with it, nothing abusive. I had a 58 Economy (Power King) with a front loader that had a Model A tranny and rear diff. It had an old tired 9hp Briggs (original to the tractor I'm sure) on it that was always more than adequate. I used that tractor HARD and I mean HARD,so did the MANY different owners before me. I used it for things it wasn't meant to do, such as digging up and pushing huge boulders and large tree stumps. Sometimes I even had to do a little ramming. Hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do just don't get hurt doing it. I can remember sitting on that tractor with a smile on my face and knowing at the same time that I was pushing this old Economy beyond its limits. It always accomplished the job I wanted it to do. I never had a problem, if I did I really didn't care. Parts were pretty easy to obtain and repairs weren't rocket science.  I think the two things that would kill the hood on a Senior in a hurry would be something falling on it but the real enemy would be hauling the tractor on an open trailer. I've had the distinct pleasure of riding Stevebo's Senior a few times. Don't let the small Horse Power number fool you. The tractor is a power house. Sure, it can't compare to a newer compact. I wonder which tractor would win in a pull off? A 520 or a Senior? My money is on the Senior Citizen..

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Wheelhorsestory

I don't work my Ride-Away Senior on a regular basis, but I have turned soil with the rear plow.  The tractor worked very well until the plow hooked a large root.  It didn't even stall, but began to spin the tires. I have also hauled a lot of weight in a trailer pulled by the RS-83. I assume it will do just about anything. The horse power at the draw-bar is unknown, but I am sure it is much, much more than I think.  My RS-83 is pictured in my book and has electric start.

Mike Martino

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

SousaKerry

I don't own a senior but on the farm we had a contraption known as a Friday Power Hoe, Same drive train as a senior though.  8Hp Wisconsin, Rockford Clutch 3 speed tranny and a model A Dif. But ours had an additional speed reduction gearbox and on the ends of the Dif. were planetary reduction gears.  This was a cultivating machine steered with the feet so that the hands were free for manual cultivation of strawberries and other row crops.  I can tell you the setup was very strong and it was a great wheelie machine as it was rear engined and not well balanced.  Tried to find a picture but I can't right now.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

Yeah...that right there is exactly the set up I'm looking for

papaglide

I think that if I had one I would probably use it. Not hard but use it for sure.

whlpny

The RS-83 used a Ford V-8 Gearbox. The Lever Steer Pond used a Ford Model A Gearbox.

I have used My RS -83 as a worker- its has plowed the garden, gone to plow days, Scraped a lot of snow. Theres nothing on it that can't be replaced. Its a worker and wears its show clothes as it is. By far the best driving running tractor I have ever owned.

• Like 6

boovuc

Opened a tiny can of worms on my opinion and wrote it "thinking" the poster didn't know the antiquity and collect-ability of the tractor. (I now know he does know his tractors).

Once again, I don't believe in "working" a tractor like the Pond Senior due to how rare and collectible they are. If you need a working tractor and you have a Senior that is running.....sell it and with the money you make off of it, you can buy a worker. I work my 1967 857 and it is old and I would work a junior if I had one. But the Ponds are special IMHO. Yes you can get parts for the Pond due to the many Ford rears that are still available but they aren't as plentiful as WH parts or other real USA made Garden Tractors. And the motors on the Ponds are hard to get parts for and the experts for those motors are passing away.

In regard to under powered..........I stated "by today's standards". And the gearing to HP to weight ratios do make a tractor with less power a real worker. I didn't say they didn't. The Farmall Cub I used as a reference wouldn't have been made in the many tens of thousands if it's design and power were poor. Readers Digest Version................for the money you would have in a Pond, you could buy two worker Wheelhorse tractors or any number of other USA made older Garden Tractors and actually have a better all-around machine than the Pond. If you want to use your Senior to mow or plow, that's great. If you want to beat it, that isn't so great. IMO.

• Like 1

Uncle Buck

To clarify my earlier post I don't think the old timers should be worked hard, but personally I do feel that any machine worth me owning should be good for some sort of use, possibly limited depending on the machine, but certainly worth being put work at times. That was really the opinion I was trying to express. Those old timers should not be worked hard or regularly I would agree.

Don1977

All the parts for the transmissions and rear differential are available. Bearings and seals at good prices, gears and shifters and shafts about the same as any other gear drive equipment, even rebuilt transmissions. Drive shafts and axles are available but would require machining as those were shortened. If you bought it to look at or to used either way is fine with me. If I could afford to own one I would use it. Check out " Snyders's Antique Auto  Parts" or just Google "Model-A Ford parts" there 8 or so more on the first page.

Ken B

To clarify my earlier post I don't think the old timers should be worked hard, but personally I do feel that any machine worth me owning should be good for some sort of use, possibly limited depending on the machine, but certainly worth being put work at times. That was really the opinion I was trying to express. Those old timers should not be worked hard or regularly I would agree.

My point exactly.

My story about the Economy was only as a reference. A Senior and the Economy I had are somewhat similar in construction. IMO not too much harm can be done pushing a little snow or pulling a plow once in a while with a Senior, so long as you don't over due it. Working one on a regular basis isn't even practical. At the end of the day I apreciate anyone that takes  brings out there Senior for the rest of us to see, whether they work it or not..

I have a friend in the Antique Outboard Club. A few yrs ago at one of our wet meets he brought along one of the rarest outboards ever made. It was a BEAUTIFUL, original condition Indian Silver Arrow, roughly 10 hp. There were about 75 guys at the meet that day and most of us had never seen an Indian outboard in the flesh. We had no doubt all seen pictures of them, we had all heard of them and we knew they are extremely rare and valuable (roughly 5 grand in the condition of this one) We all really appreciated the fact that Bill brought the Indian along for us to all see. None of us had a clue what we were in for. We were all sitting up away from the water eating lunch when we heard an outboard fire up down on the river, it was a sound none of us had heard before. It was then that one of the founding fathers of the club who was eating next to me jumped up and said to me "we better get down to the river to see a sight that we may never see again". By the time we all made it to the river (like 30 seconds) Bill was roaring up and down the Merrimac river wide open. He was flyin and he had a smile from ear to ear. (4000 rpm's) All of us just stood there speechless enjoying the moment and takin it all in. Remember, very few of us had ever seen an Indian in the flesh and NONE of us standing there that fine day had ever seen an Indian in action. Ten minutes later Bill came to shore to lots of smiling faces. He then offered rides to anyone interested! Bill and that Indian were all busy for the next few hrs. as we all wanted a ride. I recall later in the day as we were all sitting together bs'ing one member sayin, Wow! I can't believe you actually run such a rare and beautiful motor! Bill looks up, he smiles and says, " its an outboard, outboards propel boats!" Right then and there I had myself a new hero...

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

whlpny

One other note that I forgot to add- Not all Seniors used the Model A rearend either. They also used Ford V-8 rearends.

Snyders is a great source for "A" parts also I have used Joblot Automotive out of NY when Snyders doesn't have what I need.

There are NO whimpy tractors in MR Whlpnys barn- they all are able to be used as intended. I have plenty of other workers here -no need to sell the Rs-83 to buy one as money isn't an obect. They were built to be used and so be it - that makes owning them fun.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Anyone know...

how much does a :wh: Senior weigh?