wheelhorsekid

How can I quiet the engine down?

wheelhorsekid

I love my 4 wheel horses. But my ears are ringing after I use them. I don't really want to use ear plugs every time I use one. Does anyone have a good way of quieting one down without affecting the look?

Edited by wheelhorsekid

HorseWhisperer

Huh?speak up! :ychain:

wheelhorsekid

WHAT? Lol

sorekiwi

What tractors are we talking about?  What mufflers are you using?

HorseWhisperer

I use Hank Williams Jr and Jason Aldean piped through mp 3 headphones to quiet the rumble!

bmsgaffer

I am interested in this as well. Not only to keep my ears from ringing but, since I live on a smaller lot, as a courtesy to my neighbors.

I want to make sure not to rob the engine of much power either...

Might have to make a trip to TSC and experiment. I dont want a stack but maybe something could fit under the hood.

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

The Nelson Gravely replacement muffler is great and a bargain.I have a couple.They are compact and quiet.Lemme see if I can rustle up some pics.

wheelhorsekid

I'm running a C 161 auto and 8 speed, and an Electro 12. All stock and original. Leaving my restored C 160 untouched.

6.0 powerstroke

Napa has a decent muffler for around 40 bucks, ill see if I can find the part#

703679 like mentioned above says its for a gravely ,

post-11954-0-82388300-1391179448_thumb.j

Edited by 6.0 powerstroke
  • Like 2

Wheel-N-It

The Nelson Gravely replacement muffler is great and a bargain.I have a couple.They are compact and quiet.Lemme see if I can rustle up some pics.

I've heard lots of good things about this muffler also. You better address this ringing situation asap because if you don't there will come the day when the ringing does not stop, ever.

• Like 3

zanepetty

I bought a muffler from tsc for a cub but I was told it was probably too heave for my single cylinder Kohler so I just ordered one of those gravely mufflers. I've seen lots of guys use them. I want to put a piece of pipe over the outlet to extend it a little bit. Does anyone know the outer diameter of the outlet? I know the ID is 1 1/4..

zanepetty

Thanks Garry, but I need the OD of the outlet.

pacer

Thanks Garry, but I need the OD of the outlet.

Inlet 1-5/16"

Outlet 1-1/4"

Do a search on that number on ebay and youll find dozens of offerings at a wide range of prices.

sorekiwi

In my opinion the Gravely muffler works great on the little Kohlers, but is still a little loud on the big block Kohlers.

The Cub Cadet muffler of the same style (but longer) is quieter again.

Quietest of all the mufflers I have tried is the Nelson that came on the B and C Series tractors as OEM.

The Gravely:

IMG_3712.jpg

The Cub Cadet:

IMG_4416_zps743ef153.jpg

• Like 1

zanepetty

Ya. Mines going on a k161 . I have the cub I'm just afraid of it being too heavy. And I see the specs on the gravely bit the OD of the outlet is not listed so I was just checking if anyone knew because I was going to get a headstart on ordering my exhaust pipe.

chazm

Zane , the gravely muffler that you ordered is designed for the tailpipe to go on the inside of the muffler outlet ( 1 1/4in )  , not over it.

You need to get a piece of 1 1/4 OD straight pipe from a exhaust shop in your area.

zanepetty

Oh OK. Thanks chasm. Awesome

brandonozz

I've heard lots of good things about this muffler also. You better address this ringing situation asap because if you don't there will come the day when the ringing does not stop, ever.

Like Van said, Hearing loss in nothing to mess around with. I was not very smart when I was younger and really didn't know much about hearing loss and even what ear plugs were. I don't really think you will be able to quiet a horse down enough that hearing protection isn't needed. Sure, you may be able to tolerate the noise but that doesn't mean your hearing isn't paying a price.

There are many different kind of plugs and you should be able to find some you can live with - in my line of work it isn't an option. My favorite is the simple push in as they are quick to insert. Of course, this time of the year muffs aren't bad either.

post-4057-0-05134400-1391221728_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Marv

Amen Van.

Marvin

• Like 1

squonk

You might not find that 1 1/4 exhaust pipe. No shop near me had it. That's why I had to go with the conduit. Conduit is measured differently. If I remember right exhaust pipe is measured by o.d. while conduit is measured by I.d. Bring the muffler to a Home Cheapo or Lowes so you get the right size if you don't find it at a muffler shop.

Edited by squonk

boovuc

Agree with all those who suggested hearing protection.

At age 56, an ex radio jock and over 30 years in manufacturing plus cutting firewood, running lawn equipment, shooting guns and listening to groups from Zeppelin to Alice In Chains in my cars at unbelievable levels, I blew my ears out.

I went from being an audiophile with the best audio equipment to not hearing the difference between a Pioneer receiver with Bose 901's to a portable radio's output.

I use them now but the damage is done. Do what you want to limit the decibels on your tractors but do yourself and all those around you right down to the waitresses and sales clerks you'll deal with later in life..........................ALWAYS USE HEARING PROTECTION AND START USING IT NOW!   :banghead:

• Like 5

Wheel-N-It

Yes, this is probably some of the best advice we could give anyone here who is not aware of what loud music and loud machinery noises can do to your hearing. I have lived with ringing in my ears every day since 2005. Once the damage is done thats it, you're faced with non-stop ringing for the rest of your life. For those of you not dealing with this problem you had better get yourself ear plugs and the kind of sound supressors you wear over your ears. Wear them both together. I wish someone had warned me when I was younger.

• Like 1

mrmowitall

If my horse is loud , I can't hear my wife ! LOLOLOL :grin:

• Like 1

Jparkes43

I am interested in this as well. Not only to keep my ears from ringing but, since I live on a smaller lot, as a courtesy to my neighbors.

I want to make sure not to rob the engine of much power either...

Might have to make a trip to TSC and experiment. I dont want a stack but maybe something could fit under the hood.

whats TSC