dewdew

Should I get rid of my horse?

dewdew

What do you guys think ? I have 2 tractors, 1st I have a 83 c165 auto with a rd 36" deck and a 42" blower and 2nd is a 76 d160 auto with just the 42" ad deck. The c is what I use to mow and clear snow with but it doesn't mow all that great and is not running the best at the monument and also has developed a leak in the hydro system wich seams to be cummin from the pump. Also I think that I might prefer to plow rather then blow. But it is a worker and aside from its problems it mows my lawn and clear the snow. And now the d series, I love the look of this big old thing and have about 2 acres to mow so the 42" deck would be nice. And I could always put a plow or a blower on that. Also I like the thought of putting a loader and/or backhoe on it one day. But it has a broken shaft between the motor and hydro pump so that's gonna take some major work to get going. They both look good and where fairly well maintained when I got them. So this will be a father son project to do a full restor on one of them and we just can't decide witch one. So we thought we would ask the pro's. I know it's a lengthy post but we would value and appreciate any of your thoughts.

Thanks, mike&mike

Jim_M

Parts and attachments for the D series are getting harder to find every day. I don"t think I would want to rely on one as my only worker.

AMC RULES

How could you get rid of one or the other? 

Father and son them both.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

js5020

I think a D would be a tank best suited for brute work, but as said the C is going to be much easier to keep running and find attachments as they were produced in plentiful numbers.

rexman72

I think you should get rid of one and sell to me

meadowfield

Keep them!

thehorse

If it's bought and paid for...it does not eat much...I would keep it if you have the room. It will keep you from doing wild spins trying to kick yourself in the behind later!

• Like 1

papaglide

Yeah, like "the horse" said!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Yeah, what the papa said too.   :text-+1:  

Uncle Buck

Another part of the equation relates to your mechanical ability. Both machines would easily be worth keeping assuming the biggest challenge in putting them right mechanically is finding parts that need replaced. Even parts that might be costly can always be procured over a couple years if you really want to keep both machines. Even more costly than expensive parts is paying someone to make repairs or improvements to the tractors.

Having the aptitude, tools and ability to do whatever is needed on the machines is really the decisive factor to me, if you can do most/all of what is needed to make the machines right then the answer is easy, keep them. If not, you might want to find something different as costs could quickly outrun their value.

• Like 1

sorekiwi

You always need a back-up, especially dealing with 30 or 40 year old machines.

And in winter you need one with a plow and one with a blower.  Unless of course you enjoy lying on a cold concrete floor switching from one to the other.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I would personally vote for the C series, but I would recommend picking one and selling the other. Take the funds from the sale and buy another one from the series that you are restoring.

It is incredibly helpful to have a tractor you can pull parts from to create one good tractor. Then if you feel like putting in the extra work you could finish up the other one by searching for the parts you needed.

brandonozz

If your really planning on getting/building a loader (and are going to use it very much)then you should keep both the tractors. While not horrable, taking the loader off and putting it back on often would be a pain.

My vote is to keep both and buy a 48" deck for the C. The 16 should pull it just fine.

Wheel-N-It

Don't sell any of them. You will do irrepairable damage to your Son!!!

BTW DewDew we will never OK the selling of a Wheel Horse (unless its to one of us) :handgestures-thumbupright:

dandan111

I have been wrestling with this also. Really dont have room for two but I can't keep my 314 over my round hood. And I can't sell the only tractor I ever bought new.....guess I'm stuck with two. Maybe three if my dads 607 comes here..dang it.

• Like 1

leeave96

As was said, your skill level might determine what to do. I can do much with these tractors, but rebuilding an engine, as an example. For those reasons, you might consider a C or 3/4/500 series with gear drive and a 48 inch deck. You could probably sell what you got and buy a nice/newer tractor.

Uncle Buck

I ran out of room last fall when I added my 4th horse. Initially I planned on keeping it under a tarp in the back yard  (you might consider that for a worker) but in the end I worked out a deal to keep the machine with blade in the neighbors nice warm garage and let him use it to clear his snow in exchange for the storage. He is a great guy, very mechanical and takes good care of his stuff so it worked great for both of us. There is usually a good answer like that if you look hard enough. Just a thought.

I have been wrestling with this also. Really dont have room for two but I can't keep my 314 over my round hood. And I can't sell the only tractor I ever bought new.....guess I'm stuck with two. Maybe three if my dads 607 comes here..dang it.

• Like 2

HorseWhisperer

I set em up and loan them out to family members and friends.I have three loaners out now.Course they are loaners for life and if something goes wrong they have a service guy but it's how you can have them all and not store them!:)It's worked great for years.

dewdew

Thanks for all your advice guys. I really have to go with whatt son wants to do. And it sounds like he wants to get rid of the c. So i put that one in the classifieds. I would like to keep them both but I'm not a big fan of the hydro's anyway so this will give me a chance to by my dream horse at some point down the line. But at least we will have our project and hopefully my son will have a nice old wh when it comes time for him to take care of his own homestead. Again thank you for all your input,mike&mike