stratostar250

Thinking about front tires

stratostar250

Hey guys, I am thinking about getting new front tires for my 310-8.  The ones on it seem to be getting quite low in the tread depth, and are a bit dry rotted and look a little scary when you get close them.   :helmet:   I've been thinking about getting a new pair, but I don't know what to get, what are your guys experiences with front tires and your favorites?  

Oh, and i have a 37" deck, so sadly :-|  I will probably be sticking with the 6" front rims, but reguardless, I am open to any ideas, I'm mostly curious as to what you all prefer for your fronts.   :grin:

:thanks:

wheelhorsekid

I love the tri rib tires. Makes my tractor feel like it has power steering.

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

I saw this on another members tractor but I cannot find it right now. I am planning on Vredestein V61's. I am also hoping to find them in 4-ply because the 6 ply might be a little too stiff. They arent pretty but seem to be the most functional.

I know they make them in 16x6.5-8's, and I they make them in 15x6.00-6's. I dont know what the 6" tire size on these tractors is.

I want the ribs for the best steering, yet they are wider than a tri-rib because my yard can get damp and I don't need the ruts or torn grass from the sharp tri-ribs. It all depends on what the functions of your tractor are. I have a mildly hilly yard that I will be pulling a wagon around, sometimes mowing, and always snow plowing.

5_rib_white_bg__63158.1326903994.1280.12

stratostar250

I saw this on another members tractor but I cannot find it right now. I am planning on Vredestein V61's. I am also hoping to find them in 4-ply because the 6 ply might be a little too stiff. They arent pretty but seem to be the most functional.

I know they make them in 16x6.5-8's, and I they make them in 15x6.00-6's. I dont know what the 6" tire size on these tractors is.

I want the ribs for the best steering, yet they are wider than a tri-rib because my yard can get damp and I don't need the ruts or torn grass from the sharp tri-ribs. It all depends on what the functions of your tractor are. I have a mildly hilly yard that I will be pulling a wagon around, sometimes mowing, and always snow plowing.

Ive seen these and have been wondering about them, It seems as if I may give them a try, but I wanna get some more opinions and see what other people say too.  The front tire size of my tractor is the 15x6.00-6 tire, so its great to know that they make these in the size i need.  

Edited by stratostar250

bowtiebutler956

I've always liked the tri ribs myself. You can get a pair of 3.50-6 tri ribs with tubes on  :techie-ebay: for $38. This size is 14" tall. Both my  :wh:'s have 8" wheels, so I used the 4.00-8 tri ribs on mine, and have been very happy with them. Just my  :twocents-02cents: .

Matt :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-03181900-1391022729.jpg

post-6076-0-68117600-1391022758_thumb.jp

Martin

i have them on a new build I'm doing right now...........

post-4321-0-18023200-1391041404_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-26586500-1391041504_thumb.jp

don't know what they are like other than the great comments others have using them on various garden tractors......

i see the 15 x 6.00-6 is available here........

http://www.millertire.com/products/implement-tires/15x6-00-6/15x6-00-6-v61-hd-5-rib-4-ply/

not sure if you need to use tubes on them, the 16 x 6.50-8 size most recommend using tubes. the 6 inch ones are also 4 ply whereas the 8s are 6 ply. still managed to install them by hand but they are a little more difficult than 4 ply turfs.......

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

stratostar250

i have them on a new build I'm doing right now...........

attachicon.gifIMG_2892.JPG

not sure if you need to use tubes on them, the 16 x 6.50-8 size most recommend using tubes. the 6 inch ones are also 4 ply whereas the 8s are 6 ply. still managed to install them by hand but they are a little more difficult than 4 ply turfs.......

Awesome to actually see them in a pic :handgestures-thumbupleft: , and yes, they do recommend using tubes, thanks for mentioning that, because my quick paced mind just kinda jumped right over the tube part :eusa-doh:

i think one of the biggest issues is going to be how much I want to pay for front tires.  These, especially with tubes are no where near as cheap as two new turfs.  Imma have to do some thinking, not sure what I am gonna choose.  :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

I've always liked the tri ribs myself. You can get a pair of 3.50-6 tri ribs with tubes on  :techie-ebay: for $38. This size is 14" tall. Both my  :wh:'s have 8" wheels, so I used the 4.00-8 tri ribs on mine, and have been very happy with them. Just my  :twocents-02cents: .Matt :flags-texas:

Thanks for this info, I was always wondering if there was a smaller tri rib around, but I'm afraid since my tractor came with 15" in the front and 22" in the rear, and I upgraded to 23" in the rear, that the 14" in the front will make the tractor too low in the front end, but thanks for idea! From all my searching though, If I ever get around to a tractor with 8's in the front, tri ribs may be the answer :thumbs:

Anyone know anything about the Carlisle Turf Masters or Turf Saver II? I've seen them around too, and they are pretty inexpensive, but I have no clue as to how decent or not great they are.

Martin

i have turf masters on my c125. great turf tire......

16 x 7.5-8 on the front, 24 x 12-12 rear. very economical tire, like them much better than turf savers (which about half my herd came with)....

post-4321-0-86275100-1391045438_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-71924900-1391045459_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin

stratostar250

i have turf masters on my c125. great turf tire......

16 x 7.5-8 on the front, 24 x 12-12 rear. very economical tire, like them much better than turf savers (which about half my herd came with)....

attachicon.gifIMG_1888.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1889.JPG

that 125 is b-e-a-utiful!  :scared-notify:  haha, how are the turf masters in the snow, any idea, because those were my initial tire that I was thinking about going with. 

Wheel Horse Kid

My experience is that turf tires tend to slide in the snow alot Tom when trying to make a turn with a plow or blower down and blowing or plowing. They do work good though when you are making a straight shot without much turning.

Martin

that 125 is b-e-a-utiful!  :scared-notify:  haha, how are the turf masters in the snow, any idea, because those were my initial tire that I was thinking about going with. 

the turf masters tread is more aggressive than the turf savers. but for rears both really need chains if used in snow, once they fill, the grip is gone. i think as a front tire both are about the same as any turf, thats why i started looking at the v61, more resistance to sideways sliding......

Hodge71

Turf Masters are amazing in the snow and awesome in grass too. Stay away from Turfsaver IIs they have half the tread depth of the original turf savers and are meant for mowing only with little tiny Home Depot tractors. I have a set of Turf Masters on the front of my 18 Automatic and they don't slip sideways ever and I have pushed some serious snow with that beast. I will be putting Turf Masters on my C-160 front and rear and the front on the 71 Charger 12 Automatic that Im plowing with now. You can't go wrong with them if you don't want to be changing tires in the winter to plow with tri ribs

Edited by hodge71

stratostar250

Turf Masters are amazing in the snow and awesome in grass too. Stay away from Turfsaver IIs they have half the tread depth of the original turf savers and are meant for mowing only with little tiny Home Depot tractors. I have a set of Turf Masters on the front of my 18 Automatic and they don't slip sideways ever and I have pushed some serious snow with that beast. I will be putting Turf Masters on my C-160 front and rear and the front on the 71 Charger 12 Automatic that Im plowing with now. You can't go wrong with them if you don't want to be changing tires in the winter to plow with tri ribs

Awesome to hear this.  I mean, the 18 auto is certainly  a much heavier machine than my 310, but I am not looking for miracles in the snow on my tractor with new front tires, I'll still expect them to slip from time to time, because the front end is really light, but hearing that they do good, I may consider those :thumbs2: .  They would probably be cheaper than the v61's, and if they aren't, I am pretty sure there are some knock off turf masters around (god knows if I would wanna take a chance with cheapo tires though).   :?

Martin

i wish i could say the same for the oem dico turfs on the front of 416 #1 that i plow with. they are terrible.

i hope to be putting another set of the v61s on that one soon as well......

Hodge71

i wish i could say the same for the oem dico turfs on the front of 416 #1 that i plow with. they are terrible.

i hope to be putting another set of the v61s on that one soon as well......

Martin I agree about Dico turfs…they aren't a good tire for anything. Mine used to spin on the back of the 416 in dry grass. I put on a set of OEM turf savers on it and its much better now. I never could understand why Wh put Dicos on…they musta been cheap!!