dewdew

Kohler ks341.a

dewdew

My motor started miss fireing / back fireing yesterday when I was blowing snow also it has been turning over for a long time before it starts. It does this sometimes in the summer months also. Any ideas on where I should start?

KATO

I would try new spark plug first maybe :eusa-think: then points and condenser when was its last tune up??

possibly fuel line also as it may be rotting on the inside 

dewdew

I put a new plug in it about a month ago. As for a tune up I'm not sure what is all involved in a basic tune up.

dewdew

I just bought this tractor last spring and haven't done anything

Wishin4a416

I would adjust carb, new points and condensor, make sure wires are tight on coil and add some seafoam to fuel. And make sure the points cover has the little rubber grommet cover. When snowblowing snow goes everwhere and could be getting to points.

pacer

the points cover has the little rubber grommet cover.

On 3 of my 4 horses this little grommet thingy in the point cover is either missing or gnarley -- where is there a source for them (and what the heck is the REAL name for them? in order to do a search?)

cleat

Even a little dab of silicone will seal around the wire.

Thanks, Cleat

rmaynard

On 3 of my 4 horses this little grommet thingy in the point cover is either missing or gnarley -- where is there a source for them (and what the heck is the REAL name for them? in order to do a search?)

It's called a grommet. Part number is 220297-S. They are available from Kohler and can be found on eBay and other places.

Ed Kennell

I would try new spark plug first maybe :eusa-think: then points and condenser when was its last tune up??

possibly fuel line also as it may be rotting on the inside 

Yeah, all of the above easy stuff first.  New fuel filter and adjust the carb.  Then if it still runs rough and backfires, pull the head and clean out the carbon and inspect and set the valves.

:rs: 

dewdew

I think I can Handel all of that but I'm a little bit nervouse about messing with the carb. Can anyone point me to a good tutorial on the type of carb that I will be working on?

dewdew

Oh yeah. Seafoam in the gas? Is that a real thing or are you just messin with the new guy

can whlvr

the hard starting can also be a weak fuel pump,my tractors that sit a while can take a lot of cranking,i put gas in a spray bottle ,pull the air filter off and spray in the carb while cranking,they start immediately and its easyier on the starter,ya its a pain in the butt but icant afford a new fuel pumps for 4 or 5 tractors and this geta them going

KATO

LOL no we're not messin with you Seafoam is the real deal and works well :handgestures-thumbupright:

dewdew

Is sea foam the real name. So that I can search it

Wheel-N-It

Having to spin the engine over for a long time before it starts could be a loss of compression. Alot of times on a tired engine you will have to spin it over more than normal to build up enough compression for the engine to start and run.

dewdew

That's not what I want to here. You think that the long turn over coupled with the misfire could be related although I haven't had any smoke wich I would think would be present on a low compression motor. Or is that not correct thinking.

And thanks for the link I'm gonna do anything I can to keep it running for one more month of snow

Wheel-N-It

Not saying its for sure, just could be a possibility.

If your engine is not knocking or smoking or using oil then see below;

Where to start? On the outside first. K341's are old now. Give it a good tune up. Points, plug condenser, plug wire, carb cleaning and tuning are all in order. Probably even a good ignition switch.Then check for a good strong blue spark from the coil, you may even need to replace that. How about your safety switches? Are they in good working order? These are moving parts and moving parts wear out. These parts move mechanically, they move fuel, and they move voltage and current. Take care of this first and then you can determine where to go from there should you need to get into the engine.

boovuc

Many things could be causing a long cranking session before it fires. It could be a points/ignition issue but for me it usually means it isn't getting fuel. A bad fuel pump, a seeping fuel line that drains back fuel from the carb, a dirty fuel filter, a clogged fuel screen in the tank, bad fuel lines, a plugged up fuel cap vent hole, etc, etc.

The fuel issue could start in the carb itself or long before it. First things first......If you changed out your spark plug as you stated a month ago, pull it and take a good look at it. For as much as they cost, I would replace it and just see if that is the issue since it wasn't in there long and the issues started not long after it was installed.

If you still have the problems...........close the shutoff valve under the fuel tank and pull the fuel line from the bottom of the tank. Make sure the valve actually shuts off the gas. (If it doesn't, change this shutoff valve)! If it does, hold a glass jar under the shutoff and open the valve. Make sure you have unobstructed flow from the tank to the jar. If you have a good flow, we move on!

Next............if you have a fuel filter in the line before the fuel pump, or after the pump, change it! They are cheap and they will plug up. Especially in cold weather! Change the fuel filter if you have one installed!

Next............pull the line from the pressure side of the fuel pump that connects to your carburetor and crank the engine making sure to hold the fuel line away from anything that may make it go boom or from loved ones that will make you go boom if they are hit with spurts of gasoline! The key here is to see "spurts of gasoline" that are substantially more than a dribble from the hose. (Which is how most old men pee). If you see spurts of gasoline, great!

Whew..........OK! Now if everything checked out from the fuel tank to where we left off, you changed out the fuel filter if present and you put a new spark plug in the motor, we now know you are getting gasoline to the carb but it still is acting up and hard to start, then you know that you "MAY" have a carburetor issue. Get your trouble shooting to this point and if you have to delve into the carb, we can help you there! It isn't difficult. It is just best to make sure your fuel delivery is OK up to the carb before you start trouble shooting that or "other things". These other things being points, condenser, good spark, timing, etc. It's just best to do the cheap elementary things first that usually make up the majority of the issues seen in these tractors.

Get back to us and I'll second the Seafoam additive! Seafoam is good stuff!

• Like 4

dewdew

Thanks for all your advice guys. I am gonna do all the fuel related stuff and a tune up tonight. I will let you know how it goes. And on a side note I blew some snow last night and it did start a bit hard but it was only 10 degrees, other than that there was only a few backfires and no lose of power.

Thanks again, mike

I love this place

oaktown1987

It's called a points cover grommet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dewdew

Well boys, I did all the fuel line stuff and the screen in the tank was very dirty and I changed the fuel filter. I have good fuel flow now. But I'm in the middle of changing points and condenser. I have changed both but now it won't turn over. I have put the wires back where I think they were but it still does not start. I have spark at the coil but not after that?

dewdew

Condenser and points wire to negative? I feel like I'm missing something small and stupid. Could it be the position of the new points?

Edited by dewdew

dewdew

Got it all running like a top thanks for the help fellas.

boovuc

Glad to hear that!