calibear2003

No More Traction Problems

calibear2003

While everyone knows, traction can definitely become at issue at times with the type and or amount of snow while pushing it of asphalt. I was given a set of 55lb each Craftsman rear wheel weights. These really made a difference with turf tires and no chains. Without the weights, the turfs were mostly a lost cause with anything more then 2-3 inches of snow, simply No Traction. I changed out to AG tires and what a night and day difference and this is on asphalt, but still limited when it came to 6+ inches of powder. I am not sure about the wet stuff yet because it been so cold this winter. I decided that I could not live with the black plastic look of the concrete weights, so I removed them and bought myself a very nicely finished set of older Bolens 48lb each weights. They actually looked so nice, I almost hated to take them out into the elements haha, but had to ask myself...is this a tool or a jewel. Just to ensure that I had even more then probably needed, I added 13 10lb plates attached via a hitch out back. I now have so much traction that if I am not easy, the front end will jump a little bit. Now, bring on the heavy stuff, just not every day.....Daddy does have to work too...!!!post-5094-0-48746700-1390828371_thumb.jp

• Like 3

JC 1965

You might want to consider adding some front wheel weights to help with steering when your pushing snow.    :thumbs2:

dandan111

Just under 100lbs a side my 314 performs pretty good. Looks like you are a little over that. If you don't like that weight on the back you can load the tires. That's what I did. I have a pivot hitch on mine so weights out back weren't for me.

swarfeater

Holy Moly !!!

Tim

I got 150lb on the back plus the wheel weights

the front weights keep the front down

with chains I have not been stuck in a while

post-2536-0-14969700-1390961048_thumb.jp

Edited by Tim
  • Like 1

Marv

With all the weight hanging off the back, I might be concerned about overloading the axles / bearings.

Marvin

rexman72

looks like you will be taking care of business

AMC RULES

You guys got some :wh: heavyweights there. 

calibear2003

Overloading the axle bearings??? I weight 164lbs and I am sure that there are many guys out there that have 100lbs on me. Does anyone think they too are overloading their axle bearings??? Just a thought when I keep reading that hear and there in various posts.

Stay Warm Guys.....

Marv

OK, I lost my head. Tail tucked between my legs. Quote from loader manual. " The ballast box should be filled with wet sand, concrete blocks, or similar material while the loader is being used. If the tractor is equipped with wheel weights, maximum permitted ballast is 2520 lbs. Without wheel weights, maximum permitted ballast is 350 lbs."

Highlighted note says, do not add fluid to the tires, such as water, or calcium chloride, or use more than the permitted weight in the weight box. This additional weight can cause extensive internal transmission damage.

Based on this your weights should be just fine.

Marvin

calibear2003

Marv...

I guess that I do not know what this means...." maximum permitted ballast is 350 lbs ". Does this mean, the amount of weight hanging of the back of the tractor OR the amount of weight including the rider/driver of the tractor? I would think that different models having larger axle's and bearings would be able to handle the greatest load without issue's.

Thank you sir...

rexman72

those trannys can handle the weight on the back.In fact the heavier the tractor the better it is to push snow in my opinion.

bmsgaffer

OK, I lost my head. Tail tucked between my legs. Quote from loader manual. " The ballast box should be filled with wet sand, concrete blocks, or similar material while the loader is being used. If the tractor is equipped with wheel weights, maximum permitted ballast is 2520 lbs. Without wheel weights, maximum permitted ballast is 350 lbs."

Highlighted note says, do not add fluid to the tires, such as water, or calcium chloride, or use more than the permitted weight in the weight box. This additional weight can cause extensive internal transmission damage.

Based on this your weights should be just fine.

Marvin

Just trying to wrap my head around this. If you could double check the numbers that would be great. I just have a hard time figuring why a couple 50lb wheel weights allow 2200lbs worth of balast difference...

I am guessing that is supposed to be 250lbs? I just dont know because I honestly do thing these tractors could handle a ton of weight on the back but the tires might not appreciate it...

I think they refer to ballast as anything over and above rider weight, since that can change if you get off the tractor when the bucket is loaded.

EDIT: Yes, when I posted this I did consider the possibility of 2000lbs of ballast... :confusion-shrug:  now that I have had a few moments to think about that... :banghead:

EDIT2: Well I guess that also gives us a portion of our answer of towing capability. Tongue weight: 250 w/wheel weights, 350 w/o wheel weights

Edited by bmsgaffer

dandan111

I don't understand all the jargon. Slopping tire ballast could cause more stress. Cast iron weight is what I feel is best but filling the tires is so easy and cheap. A little of both can't hurt right?

Marv

That should be 250 Lbs. I thought I typed once and read twice. Must have been the other way around. My interpretation is the statement does not include the operators weight.

Marvin